Severance Pay Recoupement
Create Post
    Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Severance Pay Recoupement

Thanks for your attention.

I received 10% VA disability with severance pay in 1990.
    Understand about the severance pay recoupement law because it was not combat related injury.

The question is does 100% of my monthly award ($76.00 in 1990) go towards the repayment ?

Because of the pay raises over the years, am I entitled to any amount over the monthly 76.00 $ ... or does this pay raise also get applied to the severance pay debt ?

Thank You for your time... SEMPER FI

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
      Credits
      Savings
      Images
      Did you just get an award letter of 10% Compensation dated back to 1990 ?

If you did the back pay compensation letter should have followed with an amount on it.

If you filed a claim back in 1990 then you should receive compensation with all COLA's from 1990 year to date.

Marine Free Member
      Credits
      Savings
      Thanks Rocky
      In 1990 10% was $76.... 2013 10% is $129
      What im trying to understand is does the whole monthly compensation of 129 go towards recoupemeent of the lump sum severance pay ..or should I rate 53$ (129-76) monthly ?

Ive been searching a long time on the net but its very confusing to me because of the examples I found were far more complicated situations than mine.

Sent off all my docs from the med board along with the DD 214 to the VA Regional Office so might take 30 days or more before I hear anything.

I never collected any monthly compensation and only recieved the severance pay at discharge .

Thanks for your time

the entire 10% amount goes toward the recoupment, this includes ant COLA's over the years....HOWEVER... if you are granted an INCREASE (from 10% to 30%), YOU get the difference... after 1 year, the initial award (10%) becomes your set "recoupment rate", any increases to that amount, you can collect... if you have been in a "recoupment status" since 1990, your severance pay may have been recouped in full by now (depending on the amount involved) check with your VA rep.. and unless you are receiving payment for a disability that maxes out at 10% (tinnitus for example) you might want to consider applying for an increase if your disability has become worse... once again, see your rep.. contact the American Legion or VFW and they can point you in the right direction if you do not currently have representation... NEVER, NEVER deal with the VA on your own, and don't fool around with attorneys... get a certified representative from one of the service organizations to help you, they know what they are doing, and never charge for their services....
      good luck, SEMPER FI

Guest Free Member
      Credits
      Savings
      Images
      Spot on Top . Thank you Brother.
      Saved me a lot of typing

Also be prepaired to wait longer then 30 days. 90 to 120 days is normal now.

If it is longer than that here is the number to the National VA Office.
      You can speak to a live person about your claim anytime.
      Listen to all the options before pressing the button.

1-800-827-1000.

Best of luck Brother.

Marine Free Member
      Credits
      Savings
      GOT IT NOW... THANK YOU BOTH !!

Steak Dinner.. Cigars and (Entertainment) is ON ME if you should find yourselves in Olongopo R.P or Santo Domingo

Top is correct..severance lump sum is fully repayed from awhile ago..and i'm due close to 3K.

I did read your other posts on waiting 1 year also..

Again THANK YOU Brothers !

Guest Free Member
      Credits
      Savings
      Images
      Your welcome and enjoy.

Best of Luck and Health, Happy Holidays and don't be a stranger around here Brother.

Thread Information