Hardship Discharge
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Hardship Discharge

I'm in the USMC and my mother is suffering from "Fibromyalgia". She is having problems with everyday tasks and is going to see the doctor. She was diagnosed with this issue in 92 and it only gets worse. I do have a sister shes 17, but my sister has also been diagnosed with multiple disorders such as ADD, chronic depression, selective mutism, social anxiety. My father passed away 3 years ago.

I get a lot of phone calls from my mother through out the day with her crying about me not being there to help her and its very overwhelming mentally to have to go to work and still think about these issues.

I'm looking at trying to get a hardship discharge. I don't know if it will matter but my unit is deploying and I'm getting left behind because I just arrived here and I've only been in the fleet for a week.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rocky C; 12-15-13 at 01:46 PM.

My 2 cents stay in, Semper Fidelis.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Here's the thing brother! It's your life and your families life. You do what your heart tells you to do. A man of character is never looked down on. Not one Marine here can know what is in your heart. Let your heart, not opinions, lead you in the right direction. You'll be fine, brother!

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Here's the thing brother! It's your life and your families life. You do what your heart tells you to do. A man of character is never looked down on. Not one Marine here can know what is in your heart. Let your heart, not opinions, lead you in the right direction. You'll be fine, brother!
    Would a hardship discharge even be an option for me?
    I'm unsure as to what to do, I joined to make a difference.
    But now with all these family issues I think it would be best for me to make the difference at home. My family comes first to me I've already lost one parent I'm not willing to give up the other.

Last edited by Rocky C; 12-15-13 at 01:47 PM.

I am a nurse,question have you ever thought of home health care? Have your mother ask her doctor about it. In home health care the have nurses come in and take care of her and your sister.See what her doctors says. See if you can take a little leave time to check into it.
    Hope every thing will go okay for you.
    Take care God bless you and your family,
    Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by doc h fmf View Post
    I am a nurse,question have you ever thought of home health care? Have your mother ask her doctor about it. In home health care the have nurses come in and take care of her and your sister.See what her doctors says. See if you can take a little leave time to check into it.
    Hope every thing will go okay for you.
    Take care God bless you and your family,
    Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

We thought that about that, I actually talked to her yesterday about that. The only problem would be money. When my father passed he left me and my mother with a house and a lot of bills. So every time I get paid I send 70% of it home leaving me with really not that much money. My mom still works but shes having to call out more and more frequently now.

Last edited by Rocky C; 12-15-13 at 01:49 PM.

If she can she should try for disability,ask her doctor if she qualifies.

I will try to think of what else she can do.

God bless you my brother . You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers

Stephen Doc hansen HM3 FMF

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    I'm just an old Marine from the 60s. I don't know your releigious veiws. That being said.....the Corps is not God given....your family is. Over the years you will find out, your family is the most important thing you have. My mother just passed last Aug. She stood behind me all through my life. In the last 3 or 4 years, I didn't go see her as much as I could have or should have. I feel guilty about that now. Remember this Marine.......you only one shot.....make it worth while.

The thing is you had all these issues going into the Corps why did you even join? Semper Fidelis.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    The thing is you had all these issues going into the Corps why did you even join? Semper Fidelis.
    Her issue got worse over time. I joined because I wanted to make a difference.

Last edited by Rocky C; 12-15-13 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abend View Post
    Her issue got worse over time. I joined because i wanted to make a difference.
    Ok Marine do whatever your heart says, God Bless and Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.

Credits
    Savings
    God bless you and your family Marine.
    No one can tell you what is your best action.

Have you talked to a Chaplin ?

Should you go home-- then what ?
    Get a job ? Most likely a very difficult thing to do right now

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    God bless you and your family Marine.
    No one can tell you what is your best action.

Have you talked to a Chaplin ?

Should you go home-- then what ?
    Get a job ? Most likely a very difficult thing to do right now
    I talk to my staff sergeant tomorrow I'm gonna see if I can go talk to the Chaplin. I was talking to a friend back home telling him my situation, he's also a Marine and said he would be able to help me get a job with him.

I think I'm gonna see if I could maybe get relocated closer to home or switch to the reserves.

Last edited by Rocky C; 12-15-13 at 02:20 PM.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You certainly have the weight of the world on your shoulders.
    Sorry to hear about you Dad.

You have a lot to digest.
    The Marines here have given you great opinions and insight.

Please speak with a Chaplin as soon as you can as this is the first step should you decide to go home and then he will forward his opinion to your command.

If you do decide to exit the Marine Corps you have to look at the big picture which is why ?

What will you accomplish by doing so, emotional or financial or both ?

You have your Mom to take care of and your sister from what you have told us.

Emotionally I can see because I am a God fearing man and a Family man.
    Financially, I can't see as in this economy you are making more money to help your family right now than you would in the civilian world.

Fibromyalgia is not a life threatening condition and can be tolerable with medication.

There are many social services today that can help your Mom and Sister.
    Your mothers condition warrants social security disability, your sister also and that is fact but you said she works so ?

I want to tell you that should you decide to leave the Marine Corps because of these issues with your family I am one Marine that understands and you will always be a Marine because " Once a Marine, Always a Marine.

I will pray wether you want it or not ( "It is what it is " with me ) that you will search your Mind and Heart long and hard and whatever decision you make I am with you all the way.

Best of luck and health to you and your Family.

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post

If you do decide to exit the Marine Corps you have to look at the big picture which is why ?

What will you accomplish by doing so, emotional or financial or both ?

Emotionally I can see because I am a God fearing man and a Family man.
    Financially, I can't see as in this economy you are making more money to help your family right now than you would in the civilian world.

There are many social services today that can help your Mom and Sister.
    Your mothers condition warrants social security disability, your sister also and that is fact but you said she works so ?

I will pray wether you want it or not ( "It is what it is " with me ) that you will search your Mind and Heart long and hard and whatever decision you make I am with you all the way.

I'd say the big picture would be because my family needs me. And I don't think I wouldn't be mission ready with this always on my mind. I'm sure I could try to put it on the back burner but I know once my phone starts vibrating I start thinking about it again. Asking myself why am I not helping my mother and sister.

Emotionally I think it's the right thing to do. As far as financially I would already have a job lined up that would make a little more then what I'm making now but I would have to immediatly start looking for a job that isn't a dead end.

My mother got social security from my father passing and was told if she were to go on disability she would get less money, but if she worked she would make more. Also her doctor told her to work because if she becomes stagnant the condition would only worsen. So she works as a cashier at Michaels.

I've been researching all weekend I can't get my mind off of it. I really just dont know what to do. I dont even know if they would let me do a hardship discharge. I think I'm gonna do the hardship discharge at worst case senario. I'm gonna try to relocate closer to home or see if am able to switch to the reserves. From my understaing a hardship discharge is pretty hard to get

Last edited by Rocky C; 12-15-13 at 03:38 PM.

Thread Information