Parents, Active Duty Recruiter Here
Create Post

Parents, Active Duty Recruiter Here

Dear Parents, I am an active duty recruiter currently on recruiting duty, so if any of you have questions I will be more than happy to answer them. Just please be patient if I don't answer right away, we recruiters are really busy. I will get back to you though. I will update this with additional posts and make it part of this original post. The one thing I would like to stress is that all recruiting stations, while mostly being the same each have there own way of doing certain things, so my answer may be generic at times. I can elaborate if you like but I cant say with 100% accuracy that whatever the situation is that I answer, I am only going to go off of what I know. I will try and use laymans terms and not throw a bunch of jargon out that is confusing, but I may slip up now and again.

Similar Threads:

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

picking mos

My son is a poolee set to leave in july 2014 for san diego. He wanted to pick an mos in the field 18 for aav crewman. His scores our good enough for most mos fields. The recruiter said you don't pick a number field but a broader field with letters like cd for example. He also told us you only get to pick that broad catagory and there might be 20 fields under that and the marine corp will pick the field he will be in. Is there a way to narrow his job down alittle or is that they way is just is now?

Credits
    Savings
    Pardon what you may take as Sarcasm ..

asking for MOS's in the MarineCorps
    is like writting a letter to Santa...
    you know the letter will make it to the
    North Pole....But you don't know if it
    will be Santa who reads it,, or a PESKY
    ELF...

They pretty much put people into slots
    they think can handle them.
    TEST scores counted...

and They put people into slots as they are
    needed......

What your recruiter told you is correct. You cannot get a specific MOS, the Marine Corps is just too small. Only reservists get to choose a specific MOS due to having to fill specific slots in the reserve force. We have to do a category in order to fill spots as needed. If he wanted to be an AAV crewman he would need to select CE (combat support). He may or may not get that specific MOS.

m14ed, please take the sarcasm somewhere else. This isnt the thread for it. Thank you.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for your quick response. I pretty much figured that was how it was but i wanted to be sure.

My niece is in 1st phase at PI right now. Fortunately, she had her wisdom teeth pulled in highschool.

I am on a PI support group board and a lot of parents there are upset their recruit is having to go through having their wisdom teeth extracted in bootcamp (and miss a day of training at least for bed rest). Many are asking why their recruiter never brought it up early in the process to give them the option of having that dental work done before shipping.

Do recruiters not bring up the subject of wisdom teeth with parents/poolees? If not, do you think they should? Is there some way to have it added to info packets/briefs early in the process (waiting till they're ready to ship is too late).

Sorry for the late response, I was in the middle of moving. The decision to pull wisdom teeth is made by the dental techs down at PI. We don't have any say as to when someone needs to have their wisdom teeth pulled. The only thing we do is ask if they have been pulled or not. It is up to a qualified dentist to make that decision. The best thing I can say is see a dentist prior to shipping. Or wait and have them pulled at PI. Free dental! Missing a day or two of training isn't a huge deal though.

My nephew had his wisdom teeth pulled when he went through recruit training, summer of 2009, and had no problems. They put him on bed rest for a day and then back to training.

Thread Information