Inter service transfer
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Inter service transfer

Hello Marines,
    I am an airmen currently deployed. I'm doing everything in my power once I'm back to transfer to the Marine Corps. Do you have any information on transferring?

I've ran it up my chain of command and they said they will approve my paperwork for a inter service transfer/conditional release if I can get it approved on the Corps side.

I'm just trying to figure out who I should contact. All the information I have found is "generic crap" with no value what so ever. Recruiters I have asked say that I need to contact a prior service recruiter then they tell me they only handle prior service Marines.

I know I will lose rank but keep my time in service and that's fine by me. Any help is much appreciated.
    thank you, A1C Hardin

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rocky C; 12-09-13 at 10:21 AM.

Don't know if anybody here can help you. If recruiters and prior service recruiters can't do it don't know who could. Know it happens though so keep trying and good luck - keep safe. For future reference, once you do find out how to make this work, come back and update this post (may help someone in the future).

Copy that top. My wife's father has been helping with trying to figure out who I talk to. Retired cwo4 so god willing he'll be able to pull someone up who won't jerk me around and hopefully ill be off to boot camp here once I'm back.

also you do realize that you will have to go through the Marine Corps boot Camp, also, My cousin did it so i will try to get hold of him to find out who he went through.. he went from Army to Marine, he wasn't happy about going through the Marine Corps boot Camp though,,lol

irpat54 I'd go through it 100 times to earn the title of Marine. I made the wrong choice in the Air Force. I respect what the Air Force does but I see the medvac choppers every single day over here and more and more do I realize I should be out there next to someone who I can call my brother. The Air Force doesn't have the same comradery and brotherhood the Corps has. Growing up next to Lejeune I've seen all sorts of Marines, and honestly since then I've wanted to be one of y'all no matter how hard it is to earn the title I'll do my best to earn it and wear it with pride. The Air Force isn't a family where as the Marine Corps family looks out for one another.

Last edited by Rocky C; 12-09-13 at 10:11 AM.

that is what my cousin said as well and now has the title,of course now he is, like me retired and is enjoying life, i will try to get hold of him and find out how he did it,

How old are you?

Thank you irpat.
    huklebuk I'm about to be 20 right after this deployment. I joined the Air Force at 17.

Are you reserves or active duty?

I'm active duty huklebuk.

I had to look this one up in the EPM (Enlistment Procedures Manual). It states specifically that no member of one Active component can enlist into another branch of service. Basically you would have to be let off of active duty (receive a dd-214) then you can enlist as a new ascesion into the Marine Corps. You will be what we call a direct shipper, meaning you will enlist and be on the next bus out to recruit training. The conditional release you speak of ONLY applies to reservists, not active duty. When you get off of active duty you would then go and see a regular recruiter, not a PSR.

Thank you man ( Marine ). That was a hell of a lot of help. You're good people and have been a lot of help. As soon as I'm back I'm hoping I can get everything in line.

Show some respect " Marine Friend "...

Last edited by Rocky C; 12-10-13 at 03:08 PM.

No problem, sorry its not the answer you wanted to hear but at least now you know.

Sounds like it may be easier to just stick it out for another year or so. I went to boot camp with a prior service (veteran) airmen. It will be kind of dumb but you could tell there was a respect there from the drill instructors as this kid had already been to Iraq. While boot camp will still be boot camp, as a vet who's spent time in the Military it will be more of an annoyance than anything else. As I'm sure you are aware, boot camp is the easiest part of military life, just do as you're told, no true need for concern about anything.

Have you looked into more specialized airforce jobs for the time being? We had PJs do a handful of our medevacs and those guys were badass. I'm sure like any closer knit unit there is greater camaraderie there.

I also have to say after having been in the Marine Corps I have considered looking to the airforce to fly after getting my degree (along with Army Guard dustoff).

Mike

Last edited by Rocky C; 12-10-13 at 03:09 PM.

Crazymjb sticking it out would put me in for another 3 years. If the Air Force is what you would like to do after your degree. More power to you sir, it's a great service there is just a great lack of respect among one another here and that's what bothers me the most. Not respecting each other when you're all trying to accomplish the same mission is just wrong in my book. Everyone I've personally talked to who is in the Marine Corps talks about the brotherhood that Marines share. Also growing up in a town ruled by the Marines I know where I belong, there's only one service I can see myself being a part of for 20 years.

Thread Information