Flat Feet problems
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flat Feet problems

I plan to join the Marine Corps right out of high school but I'm worried my flat feet will prohibit me from being accepted. I currently use orthotics, but with them I can still do well on the pft (290). I was wondering that if I can physically perform, then maybe there would be an exception for my flat feet. I CAN run without orthotics but it does cause pain. Of course I am willing to deal with it to become a Marine. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Similar Threads:

im not 100% positive as to whether you wont be admitted into the corps because of flat feet problems, i wouldnt even tell your recruiter. if you can do the "duckwalk" (google it) then the doctors will pass you at MEPS and youll be given the all clear to ship to bootcamp. i dont advise you to mention anything about it to your drill instictors because you wont be able to use you foot pads there. however in SOI its encouraged to wear insoles, ect. so you could tough it out for 3 months for bootcamp and then youre golden from there.

Be careful and sure about what you're attempting to do. If you decide not to tell anyone about your flat feet and it doesn't work out the way you hope it does, you could possibly be looking at a medical discharge as well as fraudulant enlistment. Your decision but you've been warned.

How would it be fraudulent enlistment if I was capable of performing fine (so I figure I'd be fine) but my flat feet got worse over the course of my enlistment? Just wondering...

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Disclose everything to your recruiter...

Will do.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Keep us posted please.

Click the links under " Similar Threads " under your post for more info.

Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmilges View Post
    How would it be fraudulent enlistment if I was capable of performing fine (so I figure I'd be fine) but my flat feet got worse over the course of my enlistment? Just wondering...
    The Corps wants to know what your disease/illness/injury/condition is, not whether or not an applicant 'figures they'd be fine'. Then they decide if they're willing to pay someone with that condition to conduct their duties as a Marine. Better to disclose it now and deal with possible waivers than to not say anything at all about it. And it's difficult for anyone here to determine if you'll get a waiver or not.

Something doesn't have to go wrong for them to discover you have flat feet, learn that it wasn't disclosed, and then to discharge you with fraudulent enlistment.

regardless of what the applicant believes his capability is. It is up to the Corps to decide whether or not they'll accept that condition.

Ok, thanks for clarifying!

Just for clarification, there is no such thing as a waiver for medical conditions. You either meet the standard or you dont. The Corps doesn't make that decision, the MEPS doctor does. If he cant or doesnt want to approve it on the spot, it gets sent up for a BUMED (Bureau of Medicine) which is a panel of 3 Doctors. They are the final say when it comes to medical decisions as far as enlistment goes.

Ok that makes sense thanks!

I didn't know I had flat feet but I definitely do have flat feet... They must have noticed at MEPS and boot camp when they checked on those mirror boxes. Even in boot they let us buy arch supports if we were having foot problems -- believe it or not DIs don't actually want recruits injuring themselves from overuse.

I'd tell your recruiter, but this isn't the 1940s I've never heard of anyone being disqualified for it recently. If you can run a 290 PFT you should be able to walk a 1st class PFT. Tell your recruiter, and follow his instructions on what to do, if anything at all. I highly doubt it will have any effect on your enlistment whatsoever.

Mike

Flat feet can be a disqualifier. It depends on the severity of the issue. Medical is like this.

If the book says that kryptonite is a disqualifier, it doesnt matter if you can leap tall buildings in a single bound. It doesnt matter what you can run on a pft. You dont meet the standard therefor you are DQ'd. There is alot of gray area about flat feet though.

Mike,

You CAN be sent home from boot camp for flat feet. Just an FYI.

Good to know. I was only speaking from my experience, I've never seen someone have an issue from it. As I said, I definitely have flat feet, and I'm definitely in the Marine Corps.

Mike

Oh I'm not disputing that at all. However, as I have stated in other messages, what the standard is today and what it was 5 years ago is different. While flat feet may have been ok 5 years ago, its different now. One of the reasons I'm on here so guys and girls can get updated info. Not trying to blast you just trying to give out good info.

Thread Information