Can I leave a cover outside in the weather?
Create Post

Can I leave a cover outside in the weather?

My son is in Afghanistan. We continued a tradition that my sister in law started when my nephew was in Iraq. We have a bench outside on the corner of my yard and made something like a shrine to my son & the Marines complete with flags and yellow ribbons. Sometimes people put stuff there out of respect. Today somebody who obviously was a lance corporal left his cover on the bench with a hand written note that said Happy Birthday Marine. I would like to leave this on the bench but thought I would ask the experts in here if that is appropriate. It would be there until my son comes home in April or May. Perhaps I could fabricate a weatherproof display case to display it in.

Similar Threads:

i will have to refur you to some of the othere Marines here, personaly i don't have a prblem with it, but as far as regs go or what others feel i couldn't say,, like i said tho, I don't have or see a problem with it,,
    keep us posted on how he is doing and tell him Happy Bairthday Marine and Simper Fi for me

I don't see a problem with it, honor your son!!!

I don't see a problem with it as long as it's protected from the elements and not destroyed by the weather. I would say the same rules apply as those tributes left at the Vietnam wall in DC but don't know what they are.

I do not see a problem with it, but in this day of PC who knows.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    IMHO, I think it is wonderful and most appropriate.
    Keep it clean and covererd from the elements.

Tell your Son Happy Birthday/Veterans Day from Rocky.

Absolutely and undoubtedly keep the cover covered and protected. An uncovered Marine outside is out of uniform, and I would venture to say that an uncovered cover requires cover. I recall in boot camp on the road sitting on a bucket cleaning my M1. I had forgotten my cover and was uncovered. The D.I. was carrying a big book, hit me on the head with it reminding me that I was uncovered. He screamed, "Where's your cover?!" I couldn't cover my obvious predicament, so I ran inside the billet, grabbed my cover, and ran outside and covered the bucket...I mean sat on the bucket. From that moment on, I have never forgotten my cover. As a matter of fact, I'm covered now. I even sleep with a cover. So, by all means, keep the cover covered.

Yes it's great to want to leave it outside but you might want to get a large 2 gallon baggie to place it inside so rain or the weather want hurt it.
    Your local store should have them to buy..

Thank you for a very interesting class ,I never knew that. Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    In Every Clime and Place S/F

I certainly have no problem with it, my cover stayed outside regardless of the weather for an entire 13 months.

Thanks for the replies. I bought a display case at a craft store meant to display a football helmet. I am adding some caulk to weatherproof it, then will put the cover in it on display at the bench on the corner of my yard.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Is it a blues cover? or what cover is it? if it is an 8 point i wouldnt worry about weather proofing it but if it was like a blues/alpha cover one of the nice ones id cover it and water proof it.

Thread Information