Recruiter Issues, Any Help?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recruiter Issues, Any Help?

Hello, I know that there is an area for this, but I don't have permission to post on the other thread:

I am currently enlisted and I am scheduled to ship out June 16, 2014. I am required to make it to Pool Functions and I make it to at least two monthly.

I don't make it to most for multiple reasons; 1) I do not have a car 2) I am going through a lot of family issues and I sometimes have to stay home 3) I work 6 hours a week, 6 days a week on top of being a high school senior. I signed up in Barberton, Ohio which is 8 miles away so I could run to PT (but weather changes make it difficult to walk and stay healthy), he also moves it to downtown Akron a lot (where it is every Saturday) and that's 15 miles away if you take the highway. No way I can run there.

My recruiter refuses to work with me, not even give me a ride to PT. All he has done is harass me and sometime even throws in the "If you have time to see your girlfriend, then you can come to PT" card.

All of this is, plus refusing to give me the MOS I want is really taking a toll on me and my desire to be a Marine. The other thing helping me hold on is that my best friend who passed away always wanted to join, but never got the chance. i just want some space or help- Am I asking too much?

Thanks everyone

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You cannot be on the forum during school hours !!!
    These are forum rules.
    Read the stickies that you are required to for Wannabees and Poolees.

In the meantime, your question is " am I asking to much " ?

Yes !!!

I know guys who were in the DEP for close to a year and never went to a single pool function. Study the knowledge you got (general orders, etc) and PT on your own, and you'll be fine. Don't waste all your free time your senior year bending over backwards for your recruiter. If you are in good shape and know the basic stuff they put in that packet they gave you you'll be a step ahead of most recruits.

As far as the MOS thing goes, THAT you need to stay on top of them about.

Mike

It's a shame we don't have active recruiters on this forum who can provide answers to situations like yours. I never was a recruiter. Had orders to Recruiters School coming off the Marine Security Guard Program but my Battalion Commander wanted me back at Marine Security Guard School so got my orders cancelled. I have always heard a poolee can be discharged from their DEP for nonparticipation. My niece stopped going to her poolee functions because her boyfriend did not want her to ship to bootcamp - she got discharged for nonparticipation. Others claim you don't have to go if you don't want to. Not being recruiters, we don't know the rules. I can't tell you what to do but IF you can in fact be discharged from your DEP for not attending scheduled functions you're taking a big gamble with your future.

Some on here claim as long as you play hardball long enough with your recruiter you're bound to get whatever it is you want eventually. Again, none of those Marines have ever been recruiters and have no idea what restrictions recruiters work under from higher headquarters. Being as there is no endless supply of MOS allocations (active duty or reserves), I personally don't see how that logic can be realistic. Somebody still has to be plugged into the support MOS's just as much as combat arms and intelligence. The math doesn't work for me but maybe I'm missing something.

Recruiters can dismiss someone from DEP for missing the recruiting functions too many times. Judging from your comment, the recruiter probably thinks you're not serious on joining. Think from the recruiter's point of view, a kid who misses too many functions is likely at risk not to join as oppose to a kid who goes to some of the functions. At the same time, you don't have to let these functions take over your life,

If you are going to miss the functions, let the recruiter know. Communication is key. If you don't communicate, then you may be out of luck.

Assuming you meet the MOS qualifications, there may be no space for that MOS. Some MOS's are designated as 'full' and these numbers are set by HQMC. But if he was a good recruiter, he would tell you why you can't get into the MOS (ie, you don't qualify or it's full).

Recruiters are also pressured to get people to enlist in short handed MOS too. This may be a possibility.

If a recruiter isn't working out for you, your best option is to seek another. You can also request to speak to the recruiter's Staff Non Commissioned Officer in Charge as well.

I wouldn't to as far as playing hardball but you have to try to stick with your plan and goals and be firm. Recruiters can care less about where you go as a Marine. Don't take it personally when they don't grant you what they want. However, don't hesitate to ask why. If you don't get a good explanation, either see another recruiter or ask to speak to the recruiter's boss.

Thank you all for your help. I make weekly communication with my recruiter and let him know every time I am unable to make it. I have expressed my interest and until about a month ago- I made it to all functions, but the weather was nice enough to run to the station. I tell them every time I am unable to make it, I tell them that if they can give me a lift to the station, I can go to the function. They just never offer the assistance to help.

There is a chain of command for a reason. If you do not get the help you seek. Contact the SNCOIC. If they gaff you off then you can go higher. Normally a Top will squash the issue if you are serious about becoming a Marine. If they blow you off then you can always contact a SgtMjr. Now I recommend you don't do that BUT under civilian circumstances they can not force you to do as much as they say they can. If you show up on your ship date you are golden, but you will need to be in contact with the higher up. My advice is use your chain of command and keep it on the enlisted side. Only under dire circumstances should you contact a commissioned officer.

If they can't do you the professional courtesy of helping you out/not threatening you/giving you straight answers, then I don't see why you should do the professional courtesy of not getting them in trouble by not going over their heads.

This is the one time you really need to be selfish to set yourself up for long term success. After that, you let the Marine Corps take it's course.

Mike

I would like to thank you all for your help, and would like to update you on the situation! The past couple days have been rough, but through a bit of extreme hardball on both parts, we are on good terms and they have given me a good deal. Now instead of leaving June 16, 2014, I will leave May 27, 2014. I will also get to leave with my desired Infantry contract! After all of that I got my desired MOS, and the recruiting station and I are on very good terms.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Outstanding! Always good to hear good news like that here. Don't be a stranger now. Keep us updated on life as a poolee, etc. Don't forget it can all be taken away from you if you make just one bad decision.

Glad to hear it. From here on out the Marine Corps makes the choices, at least for a little while

Enjoy the infantry.

Mike

Thanks a lot, I am lucky to of had your help! I know all of this can be revoked at any moment, so I am making all necessary decisions to get to where I am going! I will keep you all updated!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Nice. This is an example of perseverance and planning that will set you up for success in the USMC or civilian world. Good job with negotiating.

It is also an example of possessing one of our 3 core values - committment.

Thread Information