Is going to boot camp early worth missing out on the rest of my senior year?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is going to boot camp early worth missing out on the rest of my senior year?

I have a chance to do a program at my school called senior excel, this program allows for me to graduate this December instead of May. If I did this program I would have the chance to ship out in January to Parris Island. My question is do any of the Marines on this page ( forum ) think it would be worth missing the rest of my senior year in high school to go to boot camp early? Thank you all in advance.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rocky C; 11-06-13 at 11:18 AM.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That's next month. I can't see how you would get into this program and complete your whole senior year in 1 month ?

Something is missing here so I can't offer you any advice ???

Please elaborate.

BTW, you are on the forum during school hours which is against forum rules.

Please read the stickies.

Last edited by Rocky C; 11-06-13 at 11:39 AM.

sir I am sorry about the rules of school hours but I do get out of class at 1100 and the way the program works is that I do all of the classes online and all I would have to do is complete 3 courses and I would have all my credits needed to graduate and you also go at your own pace so there have been times when students have finnished their whole senior year in 6 weeks I already have 1/4 of my senior year completed so there should be no problem with the 7 week time limit.

Credits
    Savings
    Alabama ? are you sure you will be going to P.I ? and not San Diego ?
    And as for going early ? depends on your situation girlfriend/parents/job etc.?
    No military advantage I can think of unless you know something we don't as for gaining rank ?

yes sir I am sure I will be going to PI. I have been told that everyone east of the Mississippi goes to PI and every male west of it goes to SD. My mom is behind me if I want to leave early, and I have no girlfriend at the time (even if i did it wouldnt stop me from going to bootcamp early).

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Wow, I see, thank you.

Doesn't matter what time you get out of school. It's your schools normal hours.

No Senior Prom ?
    No Graduation Ceremony ?

These are all great memories for you to have but it is your decision.

Best of luck to you.

Is your recruiter aware of the online classes and have they signed off on that? My niece was a poolee a couple years ago and taking an alternative program her senior year similar to what you describe. Her recruiter at that time told her she just slipped under the wire for online courses being accepted for classwork and the rules were getting stricter. Doing all of your senior classes online seems excessive to me and you need to be sure the USMC approves of it.

To answer your question my personal opinion is no. You only have one senior prom,one senior year, and one class graduation ceremony (mine was pretty special to me and I made a lot of memories with my friends and family before shipping to bootcamp). Too many young people want to grow up and be adults too fast - it will get here soon enough trust me. It's important to be a regular teenager for as long as you can.

The way post #5 is worded, sounds to me you have already made your mind up to leave early. What is your MOS situation? Many poolees on here don't have the contract they want and are willing to wait for as long as it takes to get it.

I haven't really decided yet, but my MOS is 0231 for the USMC reserves and couldn't be more perfect for me. I will elaborate why I am thinking about leaving early, I have been accepted to Marrion Military Institute in Alabama and would like to stay on the same time frame with my peers at MMI so that im not that "old guy". yes I have asked my recruiter and he said as long as I get a regular diploma from my high school I will be okay.

Especially if you are going to be a reservist I would say absolutely not, unless you are already in to college. That way I guess you could start school without missing a beat.

I hated school, but the last 6 months of high-school were as good as it got.

Mike

I say, take Your time and enjoy life, don't be in a hurry to let it pass You by. You only get one chance at it.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith0231 View Post

Program at my school called senior excel,
    allows for me to graduate December instead of May.

If I DO this program ** see picture and note below
    I would have the chance to ship January to Parris Island.

any Marines on this page ( forum )
    think it would be worth missing the rest of my senior year in high school to go to boot camp early?

Thank you all in advance

th.jpeg

Don't see how the CORPS could send you to boot
    BEFORE you graduate....
    NOTHING says you'll finish the program successfully .

Sorta like sending you to Geiger , ahead of you earning the Title..

NO, I won't buy you a Hamburger today, for which you say you'll
    gladly re-pay me next Thursday...

Hey Marines,
    Just wanted to give a quick update on my school status, I am officially a high school graduate. I ended up finishing all of my classes about a week ago and had to do all my finals. My recruiters are getting me a early ship date to bootcamp some time in January or early February. Every one at my high school is proud of me and so are my parents. I honestly can't wait for boot camp on Paris Island. Is there any advice that any of you Marines can give me on Boot Camp that you would have found helpful going in?
    Thanks for everything Marines,
    William Smith

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith0231 View Post
    Is there any advice that any of you Marines can give me on Boot Camp that you would have found helpful going in?
    Thanks for everything Marines,
    William Smith
    move fast, be loud, and don't stand out

no mater what we say it will not prepare you for the real thing,,

Best of luck to you and remember one thing, think of your worst nightmare and be prepared for it to be 10 times that,,, lol

wow...that's a heck of a program. Congrats and be prepared mentally. I'm guessing you've been preparing physically, so be prepared with the right mindset that the DI's are gonna mess with you. It's all about controlled chaos and working through the phases that have been designed....break you down...build you up! Stay sharp recruit!!!

Thread Information