Is joining the reserves currently the only path to active duty?
Create Post

Is joining the reserves currently the only path to active duty?

I am currently concreting joining the Marines. It is my intention to be an active duty Marine with the MOS of 0351 assaultman but the recruiter I have been speaking is telling me that the only thing he can get me is the reserves (regardless of MOS). I am told, by my recruiter, that being a high school graduate that my only chance at active duty is to be first reserves then transferring to active after competing the first year or so of my contract.

I am hoping to get a fact check on the claims made by the recruiter. It would be very disappointing to get stuck in the reserves for 6 years if there is a better way. Also, would it be likely for me to keep the same MOS if I was to transfer from reserves to active.

Any bit of information or advice that you have to offer is helpful.

thankyou

Similar Threads:

Recruiters get their guidance from district headquarters (they don't just make up the rules as they go). Nobody can sit here and say what your recruiter is telling you is not true because we don't know what their commanding officer wants. You could try a different recruiter but they're going to have the same district headquarters.

Since the USMC has spent the money to train you in your reserve MOS, chances are, you would keep that same MOS on active duty.

I can pretty confidently say that is bs. The Marine Corps is still predominantly taking active duty New Joins. Going from reserves to active duty is notoriously difficult. When you join the reserves you fill a BIC for your unit. Your unit needs you, so they aren't usually likely to just let you go. The reserves isn't a bad gig at all, but if you are looking towards active duty you will be very disappointed unless your unit just happens to be mobilizing as you show up.

Do you know if your recruiter is the one in charge of that station (SNCOIC?). If not, go directly to him. While Tennessee Top is technically correct, it's a bold face lie that the Marine Corps is not taking active duty grunts, though you may have to wait a few months for a slot.

Mike

None of the Marines who have answered your question are recruiters. Take our advice for what it is - just our opinions.

I can't tell you for certain because I went straight into active duty infantry. What I can tell you is this, it's difficult to get any specific contract. And you will not get a 0351 contract, I personally have only seen contact 0331s and those were reservists. They have been trying to phase out the 0351 MOS for a while now; in SOI certain companies train 0351s and others train 0352s. Even those told they had a specific 03xx contact found later that it was an open 03xx contact, i.e. active duty machine gunner finding out it was just an open infantry contract (0311, 0331, 0341, 0351). Luckily that Marine had a chance to be what he wanted, but all companies in SOI train 31s.

I have never heard of anyone transferring from reserves to active successfully during their initial contract. Not from my infantry brothers, and not from non-infantrymen that I heard from before I enlisted. Almost 2 years ago it took 6 months for an infantry contract to open and they're looking to reduce forces by a lot. When I say a lot, I mean tens of thousands.

If you are sure this is what you want all I can suggest is staying solid to the idea that you want an active duty infantry contract and waiting as long as you can for a slot to open. Because they're training young Marines every day so there has to be positions open somewhere. You will not get a 0351 contract specifically, but you will get a chance to get it, and may actually like something else.

That said, I'm not a recruiter and I could be completely wrong from their standpoint, so take this all with a grain of salt. You should really be looking to them for more insight into what you want because in the end they're the ones helping you get your job.

Quote Originally Posted by 13chapmd View Post
    I am currently concreting joining the Marines. It is my intention to be an active duty Marine with the MOS of 0351 assaultman but the recruiter I have been speaking is telling me that the only thing he can get me is the reserves (regardless of MOS). I am told, by my recruiter, that being a high school graduate that my only chance at active duty is to be first reserves then transferring to active after competing the first year or so of my contract.

I am hoping to get a fact check on the claims made by the recruiter. It would be very disappointing to get stuck in the reserves for 6 years if there is a better way. Also, would it be likely for me to keep the same MOS if I was to transfer from reserves to active.

Any bit of information or advice that you have to offer is helpful.

thankyou
    Reserves is a separate contract than active duty- meaning active duty contracts, if that's what you want. Here are the facts. If you plan to join as a reservist and switch to active duty in the middle of the contract (ie 6 yrs reserves) then you can BUT you'll have to request and get a conditional release approved from your parent command in order to even consider making the switch. At the same time you must be speaking to a recruiter to see what is available. If your MOS/billet is in demand on the reserve end, the command can deny your conditional release. These are done on a case by case bases and at the needs of the parent unit and Corps.

If you get the conditional release approved, you may be able to keep your current MOS depending on the circumstances. You may also have to enlist in a different MOS depending on the numbers so if you want to do 0351 for active duty, you may not get it depending the needs of HQMC for that period. I don't have a crystal ball but it is something to consider since I've seen it happen.

There may be active duty opportunities (ie IMA, ADOS, active duty for operational support, etc) while you are a reservist and you will get paid like any active duty Marine. These assignments range from weeks to a year with the possibility for extending depending on the nature of the tour and work.

You will need to contact your section chain of command and I&I chain of command to get the paperwork started. However, you must be proactive and show your worth because some of these billets are competitive and fiscal funding is limited for some units. For example, my most recent active duty tour of 90 days was a little over a year ago with I&I 23rd Marines Regiment and I was originally a reservist.

If you are really proficient in your MOS and you are a Lcpl-Sgt, you can apply for the active reserve program where you are on active duty (without having to change to a active duty contract) but have a reserve contract. However, in any given year, requirements do change. ie, the program accepts Marines of certain MOS's.

http://www.marines.mil/News/Messages...d-marines.aspx

Btw, depending on the length of the schooling for the MOS, reservists can go with a 4 yr contract. However, they will NOT qualify for the Selected Reserve GI Bill.

---BOTTOM LINE

Reserve to AD, hard but not impossible, again all on NEEDS OF THE CORPS and mainly needs of your current command while a reservist, being that you do become one. FYI, from personal experience, i suggest Active Duty unless, for whatever reason, being back home is more important than being away from your family while an Active Duty Marine.

Also, if you go reserve you get a guarantee into the mos of 51.

-The Catch- Active duty wise, AGAIN, based on the NEEDS OF THE CORPS, you either get cycled into any 03xx MOS or get lucky, based on GT score, test scores at ITB and go off to Weapons PLT.

Just sign up as active duty from the start. As of now, the only way a reservist can go active duty (NOT AR), is by getting selected for EOD or MARSOC. We are downsizing right now.

The process to submit an active duty package (Prior Service Enlistment Package, or PSEP) is to find a recruiter willing to do it (hard as hell), get a full physical signed off by a medical officer (most bases won't do it for reserves), and a few other simple things like a photo and some basic paperwork.

Save yourself 6 years of your life and just find another recruiter. This is your life, do what you want to do from the start, not take some chance of something that might happen.

I'm one signature away from my active duty package being submitted, I already have been accepted into EOD, and I jumped my chain getting to this point (they don't mind actually).

Will they take non-ordinance guys for EOD? IE grunts? Just curious, my fiance would castrate me.

Mike

Double post

yes anyone can apply to be screened talk to your Career Planner for details and a package. I cant remember the requirements.

Do not go reserves if you don't want to. They are heavily pushing reserves, but if you are willing to wait then active spots are out there. Probably about 1 spot every 2 months are for active duty grads.

Move to Rockville, MD. I have open spots for active duty infantry. You wont be able to ship until august or september though. The thing you need to understand is that each recruiting station is different with different needs. Your recruiter may be telling the truth because higher is dictating that they enlist a reservist. It all depends on the individual RSS. I am a recruiter by the way so this isnt speculation it is fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Huklebuk View Post
    Move to Rockville, MD. I have open spots for active duty infantry. You wont be able to ship until august or september though. The thing you need to understand is that each recruiting station is different with different needs. Your recruiter may be telling the truth because higher is dictating that they enlist a reservist. It all depends on the individual RSS. I am a recruiter by the way so this isnt speculation it is fact.
    Thank you! Exactly what I told him!! It is SO nice to have actual recruiters here to answer these questions...finally!!!

Thread Information