Can I still be a Marine
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Can I still be a Marine

I was suppose to go to MEP'S the day after I got arrested for a domestic violence and I feel like it messed up my whole chance. I didn't get charged or convicted of a domestic violence. They just gave me six months of probation. That is the only thing I have on my record and I know I made a mistake and if I wouldn't have been drinking none of that would of happened. So I have quit drinking and have been sober for a little over two months now. I just don't want to give up hope.

Credits
    Savings
    I miss worded myself its not on my record just the arrest is.

There is nothing you can do about the arrest now since it's on your record. Talk to a recruiter - be honest and don't leave anything out (they will have access to your police records). See what they say and take it from there.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That's all you can do right about now.
    Stay sober.

Best of luck to you.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rglover05 View Post
    I was suppose to go to MEP'S the day after I got arrested for a domestic violence and I feel like it messed up my whole chance. I didn't get charged or convicted of a domestic violence. They just gave me six months of probation. That is the only thing I have on my record and I know I made a mistake and if I wouldn't have been drinking none of that would of happened. So I have quit drinking and have been sober for a little over two months now. I just don't want to give up hope.
    They don't put you on probation unless there has been a conviction of some sort. Pleading guilty or no contest is a conviction. Something is missing in your story.

Credits
    Savings
    I went and talked to the district court office today. They told me if I complete probation and don't get into any trouble it will be deferred and it will be dismissed. When I went to court my lawyer told me there is no charge or conviction after I complete probation. That's just the information I had gotten from my lawyer and the district court office.

You can still talk to a recruiter just to get information but doubt they would actually do anything with you till after your probation is served and charges dismissed. You still have a shot at joining - don't screw it up.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it.

Unless you are acquitted, the Marine Corps counts it as guilty. That is the quick guide. Your only hope is if that dreaded "D" word doesn't show up anywhere. And trust me, the government doesn't hide anything from itself when it comes to police issues. If something is sealed, expunged, or whatever it will still show up. If you were initially charged with something and pleaded to something lesser, we take the initial charge.

The real question is what where you actually charged with? If you got pbj then you were charged with something. That is going to be the determining factor.

Thread Information