Mos question
Create Post

Thread: Mos question

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Mos question

My son is a poolee sceduled to leave in july 2014. We just went to see the recruiter to pick his mos. All the reseach my son and i did was with mos job numbers. He wanted to sign up for mos 1833. The recruiter told us that is not how you do it you can only pick a field and then they will decide your mos. The fields he gave us were letters not numbers. Can someone please tell me if my son can sign for a specific mos and how do we go about doing that? Also he said the fields were letters like "cj" or "ut" all the fields i have found are field occ 18 or some other number. Can someone walk me through the process of picking a job?

Similar Threads:

mcfam, has your son taken the ASVAB test yet? His score plays a major role in what his final MOS will be. A recruit does not get to pick his/her MOS. Depending on their score they can chose an area in which their MOS will then be decided for them based on the Marine Corps' needs not your son's desires. I will use my son as an example he scored high on the ASVAB and chose Utilities or "11" as his area of interest. After MCT he was given orders to report to refrigeration mechanic school as a result his MOS is 1161. Here is a link to the list of USMC MOS's, http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/ar...p/t-49155.html. Also here is a link to the minimum ASVAB scores required for each area, http://www.military.com/ASVAB/0,,ASVAB_MOS_USMC.html

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Pete

Credits
    Savings
    Yes he has already been sworn in the only thing left is picking his job. How does the fields with letters go with the fields with numbers. We are using the fields with numbers also but the recruiter is giving us different fields with letters. For example he said there is a job available in the field "cd" equipment/vehicle repair and the job numbers under that are all the 1300's ( which is engineer,construction,facilities, and equipment) and all the 3500's also which is motor transport. My question is that on the list those are fields 13 and 35 two completely different fields but he says it is all one called the "cd" field? If that is true then if he picks the "cd" field he has 22 different jobs he could be assigned to, is their a way to narroe the field at least alittle?

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your Son and you ( If you would like ) need to sit with the recruiter and get a clear understanding on this. It is not difficult just time consuming to post everything here.

In the " Ask A Marine " sub forum here I have laid out all the MOS Codes, letter codes, ASVAB line scores, jobs, etc.

Your son should join the forum as a Poolee/DEP and access all this information to get a clear understanding besides with his recruiter.

Best of luck and keep us posted please.

Credits
    Savings
    I will try to make this the last question on this subject ( probaly not my last question) the sites you gave are excellent that helps alot, but how do you know which job numbers go under which job field letters?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfam View Post
    I will try to make this the last question on this subject ( probaly not my last question) the sites you gave are excellent that helps alot, but how do you know which job numbers go under which job field letters?
    The letters are called contract codes. I do not know what is what now as the codes changed within the past six-months or so. Poolees for active duty cannot pick their specific MOS, only an MOS field/contract code field. "They" change things all of the time. His recruiter is the best source for these contract codes.

The codes are not secret, so if the recruiter won't/can't answer your son's questions, see the recruiter's NCOIC.

Thread Information