Proper Dress Blues attire - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Perhaps this website will help clarify many of your uniform questions. The only point (sic) about wearing a sword, DON'T. Unless you received a bit part as Errol Flynn in his "Blood Challenge" movie, don't even think about it. I can appreciate your desire to honor your father, but seriously your efforts sound more over the top. Example: how are you to wear your cufflinks on dress blues? I apologize if I sound so insulting but decked out in dress blues with your rack(s) of ribbons and NCO sword is not a way to attract attention. What kind of statement are you trying to make wearing your uniform?

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/library/MCUR/URCh2.htm

Truthfully, the sword was just an aside comment and I had no intention of having it anyway regardless if I went through NCO school.

Thanks for the link, but I've read through that before and was really looking for a checklist of items to make sure everything is accounted. I don't even recall if cufflinks are part of the uniform, thus the need for the checklist.

I suggested wearing my Blues to my mom and I told her I had reservation of "standing out", however she thought it was a wonderful idea.

Thanks again for your comments as I really did have the same thoughts.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Cufflinks are for SNCO's and O's only in the Service Alpha and Bravo's only on the long sleeve khaki shirt.

I would NOT wear a sword, even though as an NCO you rate it(NCO course doesnt matter). Too flashy in my opinion and what purpose would it serve?....you're not commanding troops at the funeral.

I wouldn't even wear a uniform to be honest, get a nice suit and some mini medals to put on it. No offense to you and your service but anyone that wears their uniform to an event that isn't official is just looking for attention.....just my opinion.

What our previous poster, Joe, said is the right way to attend your father's service. A dark suit and miniature medals ideal wear. This understated approach will make a very strong statement. And don't forget, high polish shoes. Women will look at your shoes second if not first. Your father will be proud.

Semper Fi,

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Sorry for your loss Brother.
    A suit would be most appropriate.

Question to those regulation experts of when to wear the dress blues... I've read the regulations and have a question specific to me being a former Marine (not retired). According to regs, it states: "Former members of the Marine Corps who served honorably during a declared or undeclared war and whose most recent service was terminated under honorable conditions..."

I joined in 1985 and served through Desert shield (Aug 1990 - Jan 1991) when it changed to Desert Storm on 910117. Based on my DD214, I was honorably discharged 910125. Now to state the obvious, there WAS a declared war which I was an active duty member during it for 8 days... but here is my question...

Am I able to wear my dress blues within the 'writing' of this regulation. I ask since I've been asked by numerous active duty and retired service members today at our veterans day celebration held on our campus (I'm a professor at a university). I have always felt that I didn't deserve to wear it, but after being asked, and in many ways, expected to show up in uniform, I am now questioning the regs to make sure before next years Veterans Day.

Thanks for any help!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Steve...read post # 7 under Veterans...that should clarify. Semper Fi!

Thanks Phantom Blooper, I will 'read' literally both into your comment and the regs to interpret it to mean that I am NOT allowed to wear the uniform anymore...

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    You are allowed to wear the uniform....you have to maintain the grooming standards and physical appearance to do so. You can wear the uniform at Memorial Day....Veterans Day...USMC birthday ceremonies.....weddings....if appropriate funerals...Since you were in the Gulf War

Thank you very much Phantom! I appreciate the clarifications!

Hey Devil Dogs, Blues question for you. My self and a fellow NJ National Guard Soldier Served in the Corps. We both served in a time of combat and have recceived the proper awards i.e. NDSM.. We were both Honorably Discharged. We were talking about attending a Local MC Ball when we return to CONUS in 2015 and wanted to wear our Blues. I know for a fact I cannot sew on my Currant Rank because it is higher than when I was Discharged. But Does My uniform Have to refelect the exact same way it was as I ended my tour of active Duty in the Marines OR, am I allowed to wear any and all awards that I have received in the Army as well? Excluding State awards I will not wear them now as it is and NO I don't have a shooting ribbon a grande ribbon, a mess hall ribbon either.. these are legit awards. Your help is greatly appreciated.. Semper Fi!! Oh and a reference to the MCO would be very handy either way.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Alexander View Post
    Hey Devil Dogs, Blues question for you. My self and a fellow NJ National Guard Soldier Served in the Corps. We both served in a time of combat and have recceived the proper awards i.e. NDSM.. We were both Honorably Discharged. We were talking about attending a Local MC Ball when we return to CONUS in 2015 and wanted to wear our Blues. I know for a fact I cannot sew on my Currant Rank because it is higher than when I was Discharged. But Does My uniform Have to refelect the exact same way it was as I ended my tour of active Duty in the Marines OR, am I allowed to wear any and all awards that I have received in the Army as well? Excluding State awards I will not wear them now as it is and NO I don't have a shooting ribbon a grande ribbon, a mess hall ribbon either.. these are legit awards. Your help is greatly appreciated.. Semper Fi!! Oh and a reference to the MCO would be very handy either way.
    Simple answer, No.

If you were awarded an Army or other branches award as a Marine then yes you rate to wear it in Marine Corps uniform, if not then you dont.

The only award you'd be allowed to wear on on your Marine uniform outside of your service is a Marine would be a DoD/service wide award like a NDSM, GWOT, Campaign ribbon, NATO award.....or a high personal decoration eg. Bronze star, silver star, MOH

Thanks Jose..

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    Simple answer, No.

If you were awarded an Army or other branches award as a Marine then yes you rate to wear it in Marine Corps uniform, if not then you dont.

The only award you'd be allowed to wear on on your Marine uniform outside of your service is a Marine would be a DoD/service wide award like a NDSM, GWOT, Campaign ribbon, NATO award.....or a high personal decoration eg. Bronze star, silver star, MOH
    Any MCO Attached to that???

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Alexander View Post
    Any MCO Attached to that???
    I don't know it, we had a prior Army soldier in my unit. He showed up to a uniform inspection with a bunch of personal Army awards(that rainbow looking one, Army good conduct, and Army achievement) our Co. 1st Sgt at the time pulled him aside and told him he wasn't authorized to wear them. Same thing happened in boot camp for Bn. Cmdrs. inspection, a prior service Army guy in my platoon had to clear some of his awards with our SDI, only ones he was authorized to wear were his GWOT, Iraq Campaign, and Humanitarian Service because those are DoD wide awards.

Thread Information