Best place to retire - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Florida is a horrible place, 2 many people. Of course it was 82 here again.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    No thanks. Never been to Malysia but don't want anything to do with a place where the majority of the population is muslim.
    I did not know that Top so I just looked it up.

Ethnic groups
    • 50.4% Malay
    • 23.7% Chinese
    • 11.0%Indigenous
    • 7.1% Indian
    • 7.8% other

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Reading about those Florida sinkholes freak me out Russ.

Who knew a NC city would top the list ...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...mers-/2358597/

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    In the US as listed by Forbes magazine.

1. Durham, NC

Population: 223,284
    % over 50: 25%
    Median home price: $163,000
    State income tax: 7.75%*
    Where to take classes: Duke University

Durham would rank as a retiree Mecca even without Duke University's stellar lifelong-learning program. Residents enjoy four seasons -- but without them being too extreme. Homes are affordable, the area is dotted with golf courses and parkland, and the region is home to a renowned university medical center.

This former tobacco town also is a budding cultural haven. Duke's Nasher Museum of Art has a growing contemporary art collection. Concerts and Broadway hits, such as Billy Elliot and the Lion King, frequently make their way to the newly built 2,800-seat Durham Performing Arts Center.

Duke's 33-year-old senior learning program is one of the largest in the country, with more than 1,500 members. There are 100-plus courses offered every term, covering topics from Introduction to China to Alexander the Great. Plus, because most courses are offered on campus, members can mix with the younger generation in the student center, libraries, and dining halls.

North Dakota, Semper Fidelis.

Not surprised by Durham, the whole RTP area is pretty dang nice. I get down there for work sometimes, and it's getting a little crowded but still nothing compared to the bigger cities.

Durham would be nice, but hard to picture it the way it was in 1981. Leaning toward the hill country of Texas. I think I could be a Texan.

Quote Originally Posted by VINCE8541 View Post
    Durham would be nice, but hard to picture it the way it was in 1981. Leaning toward the hill country of Texas. I think I could be a Texan.

For jobs Dallas Texas is the place you want to move to They have so much road construction going on and building also you can find a job easy to..

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Vince, does this mean you didn't get the job overseas Brother ?

No Rocky didn't get the Okinawa job. Usually a well connected officer will get those GS positions so they retire and the next day walk into civil service. I'm still working full time for the Air national Gaurd and trying to make E-9 but may not be in the cards. I'm thinking I may not want to shovel snow in New England much longer. We should get together next summer for a drink though since we are so close. Regards Vince

You're right about the well-connected officers and civil service jobs. Saw that a lot at HQ USCENTCOM in Tampa while I was there.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sorry to hear that Brother.
    Yes, we will get together.
    I'm sick of shoveling snow also.

Hang in there Vince.

Quote Originally Posted by 03GyRene View Post
    Pattaya Beach, Thailand. About $125 US Dollars a month for a nice studio apartment...about $300 for a small house.
    Been there a few times myself and had a great time. Never could convince the wife to retire there.

Quote Originally Posted by VINCE8541 View Post
    No Rocky didn't get the Okinawa job. Usually a well connected officer will get those GS positions so they retire and the next day walk into civil service. I'm still working full time for the Air national Gaurd and trying to make E-9 but may not be in the cards. I'm thinking I may not want to shovel snow in New England much longer. We should get together next summer for a drink though since we are so close. Regards Vince
    I went Air Guard after my time in the Corps. I couldn't make E-9 either. Full timers always had precedence over us weekend warriors. But even as an E-8, I was one grade above most other weekenders. But I'd rather retire as E-8 aircrew than E-9 admin puke.

Thread Information