REQ: Info on 6th COMM BN I&I
Create Post

Question REQ: Info on 6th COMM BN I&I

Greetings,

I am looking for information on my new duty station with 6th Comm BN as I&I. I am a Sgt filling a SSgt Billet as a 0621.
    So my questions are...

- Whats the unit like?
    : From what I found and read online is that a lot of the reservists hate it, but all were mainly E-3 and below complaining about the usual so I cant really go off that. I know every unit has its ups and downs so I guess im looking for that sort of answer/opinions.

- Base Housing?
    : I was told they have base housing, does anyone know what the location of that is and maybe can anyone find some pictures? Ive come up empty handed on that search.

- Is there a deploying side?
    : From what I understand they support the MEF's, so does that mean they deploy with units or is it more of a sit behind the desk and call me if you need help kind of 'support'?

Thats mainly all I can think of at the moment, if you have any other information that you can provide id greatly appreicate it.

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    From what I know, 6th Comm of course is reserves which you know already.

I have never heard of base housing for that unit which is located in Brooklyn New York. If they do I would rather be off base and take the drive.

Yes they deploy, Desert Storm and Enduring Freedom were 2 that I remember.

Other than that, it's all I got for you.

Best of luck.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If you're I&I staff no you will not deploy, I&I staff is there to support and train the reservist so they are deployment ready/mobilization capable to support the MEF.

If you end up being anything like the I&I staff at most other reserve units including mine, your day to day job is typically pretty slow and boring. That said it is a very important job especially around drill time/weekends for the reservists and if you have any guys deploying. It will be your job(billet dependent) to be sure they are taken care of ie. orders, pay, billeting, training, etc...I'd probably assume you'd be going to the training/S3 office at that unit being that its a comm. unit and your a comm MOS.

I was on I-I duty here with Delta Company, 4th Combat Engineer Bn, 4th MarDiv (I-I Admin Chief). Enjoyed the duty - the reserve company pretty much ran the show and we were there to support them/make sure they were deployable. Besides running the admin shop, I taught UCMJ, USMC uniforms/customs and courtesies to the reservists. We did NOK death notification/burial details for active duty Marines from East TN and parts of NC. After a drill weekend, we posted a phone watch and everyone else was off for a couple days. It's a good opportunity for you to work on a college degree if that's one of your priorities (stable schedule).

I'll try talk to some guys I know there.

Base housing if any would be Ft Hamilton ( Army Base).

Garden City , LI would be where you check in (IIRC).

6th is at the old airport (Floyd Bennett Field) in Brooklyn.

Train and bus ride. Need help showing you around the city, let me know.

S/F,
    CEYA!

Ah yes, I&I Duty. Mucho free time to do a whole lot of drinking. I was really glad when that tour ended.

I was told you check in to 6th Comm. not Garden City. So that is Floyd Bennett Field.

The Marine is a reservist I just met recently who is at 6th Comm. .

S/F,
    CEYA!

Thanks for the info everyone.

I have a new question now, how exactly does checking in go; mainly billeting. Since sometimes your not from that state how does billeting work? - do they pay for a hotel room or do they just keep you in the duty room until you got BAH/Housing (Im married)?

Can't you call the I-I Staff directly and talk to the 1stSgt, Operations Chief, or the individual you're replacing (that's normally your sponsor)? Before I reported to my I-I I had numerous phone conversations with the admin chief I was replacing (even ended up buying her trailer till I found the house I bought). You should be getting your info straight from them - not here. Get on the horn and start making some phone calls.

That is my next course of action. I always do a lot of research from multiple sources before contacting the unit to decipher some of the BS (if there is any) and get a lot of opinions about the place.

That's fine. But you're wasting a lot of time if you ask me. Obtain the info you need to know as far as billeting, reporting in, etc. and then form your own opinions based on your personal experience - not what you've read or heard from others. At least, that's how I always did it. Good luck.

I sent you a PM.

Base housing is either on fort hamilton or out in long island, amittyville area. I cant remember what its called. Take your 10 days of house hunting from your current unit and go up there. It can be a confusing place until you get used to it. You will not deploy. At all. You will be doing alot of funeral details, and dealing with all those reservists is a pain in the arse. Its not all bad though, there are tons of details that you will have the opportunity to attend, such as fights, concerts, golf tourny's etc. New York treats their Marines like b list celebrities, its kinda cool. Don't rule out renting out in town. I did and actually came out on the plus side. You just have to put in the leg work, finding a place is hit or miss.

Source: I was with 6th Comm from 2005-2008

Base Housing for the Marines at 6th Comm is in Fort Hamilton about 10-20 minute ride in the morning depending on the route you take. The Belt parkway is a pain. You can try to live in the base housing in Garden City but thats a further ride. If you stay out in town watch where your buying (crime and prices). The base is on an old airport which is shared with the National Park Service and the NYPD. Everything there you need a car for. Queens is right next door, just go over the Gil Hodges bridge. Fort Hamilton is nice but small. Garden City has a little px for uniform items and for alterations you can get done at 99th street cleaners in Bay Ridge. Besides that alot of good opportunities for future connections. and it's NYC where there is always something to do. I live in Queens and work in Brooklyn, if you have any questions.

Thread Information