03XX Contract Help?
Create Post

03XX Contract Help?

Hello, my name is Stephen Garber and I am a Poolee in the Marine Corps. I apologize if this is already somewhere on the forum, but I have looked around for about a week now. I ship to MCRDPI in June and there has been a shortage of Infantry contracts available. I know none of you have any power over the contract totals and standings, but I am curious if any Marines have advice to obtaining the contract, or possibility of getting into the MOS. Next month I am eligible to sign the Military Police contract (which isn't bad; I could live with it, just not see myself doing it). My recruiter says that there is a possibility another Poolee will back out of shipping and the contract will then become available, but I do not want to wait on a hope and prayer. Is there any advice you all could offer in getting the contract, or getting into the MOS. I have considered signing an open contract (which I know isn't a very wise move), then just go to every last limit I can possibly go to at Recruit Training. Thank you, Stephen Garber

Similar Threads:

Wait for an infantry slot, tell you recruiter you will not ship without one.

This is the only point in your time in the Marine Corps where you have a meaningful ammount of say in how things are going to pan out for you.

Once the newness of being a Marine wears off, if you didn't get the MOS you want (infantry or not), you are going to more than likely be pretty upset. I promise if you wanted to be a grunt, and check in to SOI while a bunch of the guys are going to ITB you go to MCT, when you wanted to be infantry, it will be the same feeling as going to MEPS and having them stick an army or navy sticker in your chest and shipping to Ft Jackson or Great Lakes when you wanted to be a Marine, because you were impatient.

The Marine Corps is still making grunts every week, tell your recruiter you have no issue waiting but you WILL NOT SHIP until you have the MOS you want.

You do have a choice and the power to select your MOS, just look around this site. My best friend is on a plane to PI right now with an infantry contract. His recruiter had originally told him otherwise, and I said just explain you will not leave without your desired MOS. Surprise surprise, they moved some stuff around and now he got what he wants.

This is the second biggest decision about the Marine Corps you will make after joining. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure you have the MOS you want in writing before you leave.

Mike

Or become a corpsman, It took me for years to go infantry,but after that I was a Marine Doc for 7 years Semper Fi and good luck son!!! Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

Thank you very much, to the both of you. My only concern is that my recruiter says that I can only be in the Delayed Entry Program for 365 days. My ship date comes in after the 365 days, as is (due to graduation). If i told them I wanted to wait, would I even be able to? I also wonder since my ship date is already past the year mark, that it wouldn't even matter to put my date further back. I know they have about 6, or 7 Infantry spots for the month of August. Would they be able to dish out one ntract for June (I apologize if the question has gone too far from the knowledge of anyone other than a recruiter)?

Don't let him push you around. You can get in and out of the dep if need be. Don't get stuck in an MOS you don't want because it's convienient for him. A few extra days at emeps in the worst case scenario pales in comparison to 4 years doing something you don't want to do everyday.

If you are joining the military to be infantry, you'd be better off being an 11b in the army than something else in the Marine Corps. All the MOSs are undoubtedly important. But if it is infantry you want to be you will not be satisfied elsewhere.

Mike

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If you don't want to ship without an infantry contract get out of the DEP.

Good luck getting back in after that with the downsizing going on.

Don't scare and threaten highschool students into making a mistake, or give them wrong or bad advice. It reflects poorly on us to the future of the Marine Corps.

The Marine Corps will continue to add infantrymen to the ranks weekly. This kid already has a head start on getting a slot, he just needs to reaffirm his position to his recruiter.

Mike

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Stand down Marine, you missed the point.
    It is a lot easier to stay in the DEP then get out and try and get back in...

Nuff said.

Thank you both, very much. I am not sure what i am going to do yet. I have a interview day with the Sergeant Major of Cleveland, maybe if I prove to him that this is what I and I am dedicated as well as able to do well with it- he will allow me too have an infantry spot, or at least negotiate more for the spot.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You have to do what is best for you. You are not the first one on this forum with this question and you will not be the last.

Try to negotiate and put your best foot forward to get your MOS. If there is a boat space open you will get it, if not, It's your call.

When I enlisted I went in on an Open Contract, I just wanted to be a Marine.

Please keep us posted and best of luck to you.

Not trying to step on any toes...

The reality of the way it works in the current Marine Corps is you absolutely do get to choose your MOS field. There is ZERO reason for this kid to leave without his desired MOS. If the recruiters say it's not possible, they are lying plain and simple.

Threaten not to leave without having your desired MOS and watch how quickly things become possible. The Marine Corps will indulge on plenty of opportunities to screw you over and make your life miserable, don't let it start before you even sign the dotted line.

Mike

Thank you both and I will keep you posted Sir! Also, my ultimate goal is to one day go out for Recon, but my GT score was a 101 (required 105 for 0321). My recruiter told me that once I apply for the spot, if I am in, I can retake the ASVAB to try and get the 105. Do you know how much truth there is to that? That's another reason I am set on Infantry because he said I would be able to retake it after SOI before the RECON INDOC. Thanks again, Marines!

Thread Information