What to expect at platoon leaders class.
Create Post

What to expect at platoon leaders class.

Recently I talked to my local OSO and he talked with me about doing the platoon leaders class instead of officer candidate school after college due to the fact that there will be very few slots open. I'm planning on doing it the summer after my sophmore year or the summer after my junior year beacuse thats when I transfer to the 4 year university of my choice. I was wondering what should I expect at plc?

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Only advice I can really give is be prepared to RUN!!.....ALOT!!!!.....OCS/PLC/OCC is intended to break you off physically to make you quit.

OCS is an evaluation of your potential capabilities as a leader, don't let it make you lose your bearing/lose your head/lose your cool. When your dead dog tired, sore, hungry, and ready to quit...keep your mind engaged. That's what you are there for.

PLC is a 6week and 6 week course, although I am sure you know that. The 1st 6 weeks is essentially the easier version of the last 6 weeks.

I would apply for the PLC program right now, actually. Don't miss your chance, because right now you have 3 chances to pass OCS (PLC/PLC or OCC).

Since you have a lot of time to prepare, hit up a crossfit gym if you can, or find crossfit related exercises. Work on upperbody, they're focusing on that a lot now. Find some USMC boots, mainly the heavier ones (Danners), and buy the Bates Lites for OCS (if possible). Start running with the boots, get yourself used to that. I would aim for at least a 20min 3 mile. I would also run for about 3miles in boots, up hills, in the mud, both ways (not really exaggerating, lol). If you cant find the boots until later, a 5lb leg weight will more than suffice.

You can't really prepare yourself mentally for it, but physically yes you can. Look up the website MarineOCS. They have a whole forum of candidates/Marine O's who share their information about it.

I went through OCS-PLC about a year ago, didn't make it but doesn't matter. Listen to your OSO, they're not there to lie to you. In fact, they want to only send in the best they can.

When I was in Marine Security Guard School at Quantico, they used to bus our class out to OCS so we could run the trails there - lots of hills (some steep) up-and-down the ridgelines where the power lines are. If you can, try to incorporate hills in your run training - the more the better - and as steep as you can find. Think cross country running.

At one time, I developed an overuse running injury which required surgery (bilateral chronic compartment syndrome). The naval surgeons told me it was a common injury with students at OCS. That should give you an idea of the amount and type of running we are talking about here. When josephd says it's intended to break you off physically that is no exaggeration and it does in fact break a lot of people.

Read the similar threads beneath your question.

I just want to set you straight here. PLC is at OCS, rather than the two being different courses. OCC is the other option to take, which also happens at OCS. Think of being able to choose to attend one program or another at a school.

That said, josephd hit the nail on the head. Make no mistake. OCS doesn't fully intend to train you or make you into a Marine. They just want to see if you have the ability to deal with severe discomfort and chaos, yet still maintain the desire to push on.

The PT is rough and the diet is meager. That doesn't mean starve yourself now to get used to the training style, though. Those who did not properly prepare themselves stood out very quickly in the first week and were among the first to go home. If you start to incur an overuse injury (I did) check out swimming as an alternative.

You can get dropped incredibly easy, and you can also quit. They will remind you of this every day. They will threaten you with it every day. No one is going to keep you there, except yourself... I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to talk you out of quitting if you try to. You may have your moments where you may think to yourself "if I DOR now, I can be home in a day, back with my family, and lots of good food." Excuse those thoughts immediately and you'll be fine

OCS screens and evaluates your potential to serve as a company grade officer. That's it. The training to become a Marine happens at TBS, which is a whole other story.

That said, beyond its pain and discomfort, OCS was probably one of the most interesting times of my life. I still keep in touch with some of my instructors and I do run across some of my platoon mates. The Marine Corps is small and your reputation starts there. Don't jack it up.

Good info sir! Hope to see you here more often - as your training schedule permits.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Evening Lt. Dan.

Good to see you post and thank you for taking to time to answer that young mans questions.

Man, I miss Pensacola !!!

Thank you for that information Lt. Dan I really appreciate it.

No problem, gents. Somehow, someway, people always confuse me for Gary Sinise

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hahahaha !!!

I want tickets please Sir

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    "Ice cream, I got you ice cream"(Forrest Gump voice)

Thread Information