HZ/Recon Contract
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Post HZ/Recon Contract

Good afternoon, Marines and thank you for everything you do for us every single day of your lives.

So, the other day, I posted about being offered Combat Support b/c no infantry contract was available. I accepted it and was going to sign the contract this week.

Until yesterday, my recruiter says that there is an HZ/Recon contract available. Of course I'm foaming at the mouth. I took it instantly and signed it today.

I was told that I had to score a near perfect score on my PFT to sign the contract.

Well, I nailed my PFT today. I missed a perfect score b/c of the run portion by only 6 seconds. That means I got to sign my USMC Recon Marine/Special Forces contract today. I'm the only one in the past year to have been blessed w/ one from our recruiting district. I am also leaving earlier as in November 4th.

I know what I'm getting myself into and I have an understanding of what BRC is like from the documentaries I have watched over the years. Please don't think I'm some little kid that thinks he is some hot **** or anything like that. My recruiter wouldn't offer me this contract if he didn't think I was capable. I am only posting because I was told to keep up on here w/ my progress.

Please though, I would absolutely love any advice you men could give me whether it be about SOI, swimming quals, BRC or anything at all for that matter.

Once again, thank you, Marines for all that you do.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Recon is not Special Forces

I really can't give any advice though on the SOI/ITB, BRC, swim qual, physical demands dept....all I can say is it is just like everything else you'll do in the Corps, it is meant to break you mentally and physically so push through the pain and keep yourself moving.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Failure is not an option...
    You can do this !!!

Best of luck to you !!!

Two things:

1) There's an old thread, first two posts are some good reading on Recon and training.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?12711-Recon-scoop

2) When you go through Recon training, remember Matthew 22:14 KJV

Good luck!!!

No advice - just want to say congratulations and good luck.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I appreciate all of the advice and motivation, Marines.
    I've got heart, can run an almost perfect PFT and can swim fairly well including being able to do the combat side stroke. Although, I am a far better runner than I am a swimmer but I'm working on it for 2-3 hours everyday.
    I refuse to give up or be beaten and I'm going there to compete.
    Should I have any serious problems?
    I always hear about guys like me who are fresh out of SOI thinking they're the golden child but end up failing out w/in the first couple days. I don't want for something to blindside me or be unprepared for something and get knocked out of BRC.

Not done it but I've heard there are a lot of drops first day in the pool - they basically try to drown you (at least that's what you'll think) to see how you react/survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellerman View Post
    Should I have any serious problems?
    You're recruiter saw you as being fit enough to give you a contract, so obviously you meet the most basic quals for BRC.

I wasn't Recon, but I imagine that if you have to ask 'should I have any serious problems', then you might be lacking the quality needed to get you through one of the toughest testing and training regimens in the solar system.

If you have to ask that question then the answer to your question may very well be 'yes'.

Again, your recruiter saw you as fit enough to qualify to go to BRC. Now, only you and BRC will determine whether you'll have any serious problems or don't.

I always hear about guys like me who are fresh out of SOI thinking they're the golden child but end up failing out w/in the first couple days. I don't want for something to blindside me or be unprepared for something and get knocked out of BRC.
    If you need advance information so you don't get blindsided or caught unprepared, then are you sure you're cut out for Recon? IMO, the very nature of Recon is being inserted in situations where you are very likely to be blindsided by one or more things that are impossible to prepare for.

You can say 'yes' here on an internet forum for everyone to see, but the real answer lies in BRC when you've been treading water for 28 minutes, have 2 minutes left, you feel like your arms and legs are going to fall off and you are close to gulping water. Whether you can push through or not is entirely up to you.

You will be caught unprepared, you will be blindsided, and how well you handle those situations may very well be a determining factor in whether make it or wash out.

Meanwhile, focus on Boot Camp first, you haven't even cleared that hurdle.

I'm not former recon...I was 0311 serving in a STA platoon for a few years so worked with recon guys a lot. Yes they are fit, yes they swim like fish, but in my opinion it's mostly about HEART and mental toughness. Put two tough guys in a room to fight who have the same level of fitness and the guy who wants to win the most will be the guy who WILL win. As Rocky said....Failure is not an option. The word "QUIT" just can not be in your vocabulary. You say you have heart...if you really DO have heart, you'll be ok.
    Semper Fi....remember, no matter what your MOS is, Marines don't quit.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    You're recruiter saw you as being fit enough to give you a contract, so obviously you meet the most basic quals for BRC.

I wasn't Recon, but I imagine that if you have to ask 'should I have any serious problems', then you might be lacking the quality needed to get you through one of the toughest testing and training regimens in the solar system.

If you have to ask that question then the answer to your question may very well be 'yes'.

Again, your recruiter saw you as fit enough to qualify to go to BRC. Now, only you and BRC will determine whether you'll have any serious problems or don't.

If you need advance information so you don't get blindsided or caught unprepared, then are you sure you're cut out for Recon? IMO, the very nature of Recon is being inserted in situations where you are very likely to be blindsided by one or more things that are impossible to prepare for.

You can say 'yes' here on an internet forum for everyone to see, but the real answer lies in BRC when you've been treading water for 28 minutes, have 2 minutes left, you feel like your arms and legs are going to fall off and you are close to gulping water. Whether you can push through or not is entirely up to you.

You will be caught unprepared, you will be blindsided, and how well you handle those situations may very well be a determining factor in whether make it or wash out.

Meanwhile, focus on Boot Camp first, you haven't even cleared that hurdle.

I cannot thank you enough for the advice, Marine. I realize I'm looking at it all wrong. Especially for the next to last paragraph. Once again, thank you.
    I won't let any of you down.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I won't let any of you down.
    don't worry about us, we have have no time vested in you. To be blunt and completely honest we here could care less whether you make it or not

Don't let yourself down

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Do not add me to the equation.
    I care about if he earns the " Title "...

Best of luck to you.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    Do not add me to the equation.
    I care about if he earns the " Title "...

Best of luck to you.
    You're a good man, Rocky.
    Thank you for all of the motivation.

Thread Information