Is anyone there? (Post your workout!)
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is anyone there? (Post your workout!)

Hey poolees,

If any of you were members on this site a few years ago, you may remember how lively this forum used to be. Poolee Hall had new threads and posts almost daily, and now it looks like a ghost town. This used to be an awesome place to meet people who aspire to be Marines, and share ideas on how to prepare for boot camp. I guess this is my attempt to bring some life back to this place.

So, anyway, on to the point...

What is your preferred method of physical training? Please share your weekly workout schedule so other poolees can get some ideas and incorporate them into their training. Don't be shy!

Monday:
    - 2 Mile Run
    - Bench Press, Shoulder Press, Lat Rows, Ammo Can Lift (simulated with a 35lb dumbbell) 10x3
    - 50 Pull ups, 100 Push ups, 200 Sit ups (This is done throughout the day, as many sets as it takes)

Tuesday:
    - Stretch, Rest, Abs*

Wednesday:
    - 400m sprints x4
    - Bleachers x4
    - Leg Press, Leg Curls, Calf Raises 10x3
    - Pull Up Pyramids (1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1)

Thursday:
    - Stretch, Rest, Abs*

Friday:
    - 15 Minute High Intensity Run
    - Max Pull Ups, Push Ups, Crunches

*Look up Keith Horan's video on youtube "Ab Workout (6 pack abs)". This is my Tuesday/Thursday workout, and one of my favorite ab workouts that I've ever done!

Similar Threads:

When I signed into the DEP I was probably as un-athletic or fit as they come. So I dipped into my savings and now see a personal trainer about 3 times a week at 6am just so I can learn the best and safest way to work out (considering I was clueless). So my week usually turns out as such.

Monday: Hour straight of cardio. Various workouts of high speed intensity with short breaks in between. It varies every week what my trainer has me do.

Tuesday/Thursday: Strength training days. Usually workouts focused on working up my pullups and crunches. A lot of circuit workouts, though we avoid machines. Assisted pull-ups, jackknives, Russian twists, assorted pushups, elastic bands, free weights, etc

Then I run myself every other day. Doing the whole "Go to the next street or stop sign" kinda method. Gone from not being able to run a single mile. to running at least 2 on a regular basis. Working up to that 3rd one.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumChicago View Post
    When I signed into the DEP I was probably as un-athletic or fit as they come. So I dipped into my savings and now see a personal trainer about 3 times a week at 6am just so I can learn the best and safest way to work out (considering I was clueless). So my week usually turns out as such.

Monday: Hour straight of cardio. Various workouts of high speed intensity with short breaks in between. It varies every week what my trainer has me do.

Tuesday/Thursday: Strength training days. Usually workouts focused on working up my pullups and crunches. A lot of circuit workouts, though we avoid machines. Assisted pull-ups, jackknives, Russian twists, assorted pushups, elastic bands, free weights, etc

Then I run myself every other day. Doing the whole "Go to the next street or stop sign" kinda method. Gone from not being able to run a single mile. to running at least 2 on a regular basis. Working up to that 3rd one.
    I was exactly the same way when I started out! I could hardly run/walk a mile and now I'm covering ground quickly with no problems. Keep up the hard work and good luck!

I have been a Poolee since May, I have never been able to find a steady plan that I liked. Although, after reading your regiment, Alder, I found yours one that I may be able to get into. Thanks a lot, brother!

By the way, when do you ship?

Glad I could help! I'm not sure what your current fitness level is, but be sure you ease into the program if you haven't been working out regularly before now. Nothing worse than an injury to set back your ship date!

I ship out 20131216 to PI. Oh, and also I'm a female.

My apologies! As for my current fitness level, I run can run my 3-mile in 20.16. I work out regularly, but I have never been able to find something I can conform with and benefit from as well!

Haha no apology needed! That's a great run time! I'm still trying to get under 24:00 minutes, but I've never been a very strong runner. Do you have a steady running plan that you use? And if you do would you mind sharing it? I can't help but feel like mine is a little inadequate.

I find the best thing to increase runs is to add short 100M sprints or so into your normal run. Start off with one or two, then add more as you gain endurance. Then once you get 4 or 5 in, increase the total run distance and turn back the number of sprints you do. Then repeat.

I find the best thing to increase runs is to add short 100M sprints or so into your normal run. Start off with one or two, then add more as you gain endurance. Then once you get 4 or 5 in, increase the total run distance and turn back the number of sprints you do. Then repeat.
    Hey, thanks for the help! I'm going to incorporate this into my workouts and hopefully I'll start seeing some results! My mile and a half time has been stuck around 13 minutes for a while now.

Hey guys, I wanted to give a quick update on a workout I just did before my morning run. If you try it, give it 110%, and it'll give you that "just got IT'd" feeling. It's a nice warm-up before a run too.

10 REPS EACH FOR 5 ROUNDS:
    Burpees
    Squat Jumps
    Push Ups
    V Ups
    Tuck Jumps
    Plank Jumps
    Jump Lunges
    Crunches
    Squats

Quote Originally Posted by Alder View Post
    Hey, thanks for the help! I'm going to incorporate this into my workouts and hopefully I'll start seeing some results! My mile and a half time has been stuck around 13 minutes for a while now.
    No worries! Let me know if this helps your time!

No, I don't have a steady run plan. I often run, but nothing real serious. Typically it's a motivation thing for me. I just run as hard as I can, and try not to stop no matter what. I like to call cadence out loud, or in my head. Does a wonder for motivation.

No worries! Let me know if this helps your time!
    Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for the 100m sprints idea. Timed my mile and a half today at 11:45!

Quote Originally Posted by Alder View Post
    Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for the 100m sprints idea. Timed my mile and a half today at 11:45!
    That's awesome! Heck that's a huge gain, I'm glad that really worked for you!

That's awesome! Heck that's a huge gain, I'm glad that really worked for you!
    Yeah, it turns out I was just taking the wrong approach to running. I was just going all out and forcing myself through most of the run, instead of pacing myself. Today I took the first 800m slow, then added in a couple sprints, and went all out for the last 400m. Made a huge difference and I'm looking forward to making more gains!

Thread Information