God in boot camp
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

God in boot camp

While I know that there is infinite opportunity to privately pray in boot camp, I'm wondering if there are how many chances there are for group bible study or prayer. I think this is something that would be very helpful to myself and others in boot camp.

There isn't any group bible studies, you have church service on Sundays, that's about it...but ohh yes....you will be doing some praying.

Originally posted by Super Dave
    There isn't any group bible studies, you have church service on Sundays, that's about it...but ohh yes....you will be doing some praying.

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My husband was a Lay Reader/Leader in boot camp (basically a small group leader... if there ever was a group). This is what he said when I sent him your question:

In theory you're supposed to get 10 minutes every night to gather together and pray. The reality is that the DI's have to have you in bed at Taps, and they have to get certain things done. So 99% of the time your evening BDR (basic daily routine) gets cut way short. I've seen nights you only get 5 seconds to pray before they get you back online.

In short, each night there will be groups of Catholics and Protestants, and the people with other religions can go off by on their own. The Lay Reader says a prayer for the group, the DI tells you when to stop, everyone yells "KILL" and runs back to their place in ffront of their rack to continue the nightly routine.

Good to go, thanks.

There will be time for prayer, not very much in the begginning, but as things get more into a routine and you get trash done faster. The different religions split up, and then pray seperately, you can have a designated prayer leader or any one who needs prayers for family or wants to say one can. I carried a small bible (the one I got at MEPS before I shipped) in the pocket of my blouse. Whenever we had L5's on the range and weren't sounding off, I would pull it out for a few minutes and read. There is always time to pray when you hit the rack as well. Good Luck.

Stay Motivated,

Joe

How many religions do yo tipically see in boot camp. Are they mainly Christian religions, or islamic one also. Just wondering. Not that you need a set time to pray, because its easy to pray while you are writing, or running

In my platoon, we had people that went to the Protestant, Catholic, Mormon, Church of Christ, and Jewish services. It just depends on your platoon really. Just about every religion in America is represented in the Marine Corps, so you could have a wide range of religions represented in your platoon.

Credits
    Savings
    My religion was getting my clothes scrubbed on Sunday, doing some push ups, and getting the hell out of Dodge.

Let the Lay - privates do what they will, work on the weak guys in your squad.

Leave (after being a contract PFC) boot a LCPL.

It worked.

Rich

That reminds me.... Are there Catholic bibles and rosaries available at the chapel services? I was thinking about bringing my own (I'm not particularly religious, but they say you need whatever help you can get, and at least it's something to read), but don't want to give myself any extra grief.

You will be given the New Testament, and that is about it. I don't know about Rosaries, but I never saw anyone with one. I don't know what the rules are about bringing your own Bible, I would assume you can, but I wouldn't. It is just one more thing to have to deal with when your belongings become confused with others in your platoon.

That's the thing. The Catholic new testament is slightly different from the Protestant new testament. In particular, the Church sanctions which bibles Catholics are supposed to use. Anyway, it's not a *huge* distinction and the differences are largely academic. Thanks for the answer.

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    Just a comment.

When I went through MCRD in 1958, the only time and place for religion that I saw was on Sunday morning. Those that wanted to go to church services went, everyone else stayed behind and read the Sunday newspapers. (It was the only time we were allowed newspapers. They were on sale at the mess hall only on Sunday morning and were "gone" by Sunday evening.)

Sunday afternoons were either intermural games or watching the base football team play a visiting team.

What I am learning here is that things have changed. Those that want to participate in bible or prayer sessions are afforded the opportunity, all-be-it limited, to do so.

Let's hope that the P.C. police never find out about it.

Registered User Free Member jdfairman's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    When I went (not too long ago, 1999), my drill instructors always made sure we had time to pray in the evening and go to church on Sunday. As a matter of fact, going to service on Sunday was one of those things in the Marine Corps that wasn't necessarily required, but my drill instructors let us know that it was HIGHLY HIGHLY encouraged if you know what I mean.
    I don't think you'll have alot of time for in depth Bible studies and devotionals, but I'm sure you'll have time to pray and talk to the Lord.

Thread Information