God in boot camp - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Poolee Cross....Once you are there, your SDI will let you know what he expects of packages, if he allows any. Some recruits in our platoon got socks, skivvies, religous books. Once you find out, you can always have it mailed to you.

Thanks, PFC Robinson. That's an excellent idea.

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    Again, 1958.

Some platoons, a pkg of goodies, you ate yourself until you puked.

My Plt, 299, you were given a choice. Share it, or eat it all yourself (until you puked).

I had civvies sent. Remained unopened until graduation day. We went on leave before Christmas. I left in a suit. My JDI was getting married that day.

I passed his friends, sword bearers, family, etc. "Goodbye Sgt Lay, thanks for everything, I'd buy you a beer if I thought you were old enough."

After ITR, I returned to MCRD for RTOC School. Sgt. Lay was still on the drill field.

Today, 35 years later, I still remember. But John Lay is now a minister in Texas, unaware of the debt I owe him. He helped make me a Marine.

And for those who are hung up on race, Sgt Johnny Ray is a black Marine, who taught us all, the color green.

In 1973 at MCRD they tried to discourage me from going to church but it didn't work. I went any way and had my spiritual battery recharged, which gave me strength through the week. I couldn't go every week but The Lord understood that. And they do have an LDS service there. I know it was a great help to me.

Registered User Free Member dikatry's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Turn to evening devotion...ready, move PRAY!
    30 seconds go by
    Secure evening devotion...ready, move KILL!

when I was in boot camp...in 90.....we went to church every sunday. Im catholic, but I dont remember any other praying, other than to yourself. You will be the closest to god as youve ever been....cause boot camp aint no fun!!! I also remember a buddy of mine being picked up at night to go to church.....either 7nth day or jehovahs...cant remember.

Is there any Buddist churches at Boot Camp? This question is from a friend of mine who is interested in the marines and i dont have the answer.

Marines Scream

Back when I went to bootcamp

Originally posted by scream
    Is there any Buddist churches at Boot Camp? This question is from a friend of mine who is interested in the marines and i dont have the answer.
    There was bootist there.

Everytime you messed up, you got booted.

The only prayer we prayed was..

"Goodnight Chesty Puller, where ever you are."

Then lights went out.

Sunday you were required to go to church, to repent of all the evil thoughts, that came to us, concerning the Corps during Boot camp.

LOL

haha Sparrow

who'd have bad thoughts about their Drill Instructors or the Marine Corps during boot camp

Registered User Free Member joemustang's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    i just graduated bootcamp on december 19th, and just to let you know, you can bring your catholic bible with you to bootcamp. that is about the only personal item that i would suggest to bring. and about the rosaries, they do have them at bootcamp, your battalion chaplain will come by your squadbay and give them to your SDI and he will probably put them on the scribes desk. Also, about time for prayer, you might get a chance every now and again to pray with a group, but that just gets out of hand and most of the time they go goof off and your DI gets mad and you do push ups until 10 seconds to lights. i am a Christian(Baptist) and i just prayed on my own because prayin was my time to talk to my Lord and Savior. Also, The Bible says to pray without ceasing, meaning, at any time God will listen and answer your prayers, and remember, you can do all things in Christ who strengthens you!

When i was in boot, in 1982, we had a buddist, The SDI told hin that he has a choice Catholic or Protestant..pick one.

Thanks for the information, Joe Mustang. Good to know about the rosaries and bible at Parris Island! Thanks again!

When I was at boot camp, just this summer, the chaplain gave rosaries to those who wanted them.

There were Buddhist services there, as well. This is the San Diego side of the house, I can't vouch for PI.

Thread Information