Hello Marines.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello Marines.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Hello Marines.

First and foremost I'd like to thank all of the Marines on here for such honest, well-thought out responses to many wannabee's questions like myself. The information I've gained from lurking on the Leatherneck forum has been invaluable to me and is highly appreciated.

Brief backround on myself: 17 year old kid, took the ASVAB in Junior year of H.S. but I'm now a Senior, looking to become a Marine and want to earn that title more than anything I've ever wanted before. I'll be 18 the 13th of this month and plan on enlisting a day after my birthday.
    Now down to business...

1. My main MOS interests are: Intel Analyst, Fixed Wing Aviation Mechanic, Infantry, MP and Air Traffic Controller. My question is how did you Marines narrow down the MOS you ended up signing with?
    Any tips, tricks or advice for a wannabee?

*TO ADD: I'm in regular contact with my Marine recruiter.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    We can give advice/tips/tricks all day but what it comes down to is what you really want to do and what, if anything, you want out of it.

Intel and Air Traffic Control can open ALOT of doors for you for future careers not only within the Marine Corps but also in the civilian world.

All those MOS's you mentioned also are kind of all over the place as far as what you'll learn, the lifestyle within the Corps, and where you can take it.

My personal opinion.....If you can get an Intel contract, TAKE IT!

Credits
    Savings
    Well if I'm to be more direct with you, Intel is all I can see myself doing. I've researched the sh*t out of it and feel that I'd be dissappointed with myself if I excepted anything other than an Intel contract. Just to let you know my AFQT was a 61 without studying at all for the ASVAB. I plan on taking it again through my school and will "hit the books" this time.

My real concerns with the job are (hypothetically) a bad economy, sequestration cuts, how interconnected the government is with defense companys,etc. I'm worried that if I were to earn the title of Marine, not make a career out of it and not re-enlist that my skills wouldn't be in demand and I'd be screwed.

Last edited by Rocky C; 10-05-13 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jspano View Post
    My real concerns with the job are (hypothetically) a bad economy, sequestration cuts, how interconnected the government is with defense companys,etc. I'm worried that if I were to earn the title of Marine, not make a career out of it and not re-enlist that my skills wouldn't be in demand and I'd be screwed.
    If you think about it, those concerns could reflect any MOS. The jobless rate for veterans is higher than it is for nonvets for a variety of reasons. Because there are so many federal and civilian intel agencies/contractors, I believe you would have a better opportunity for employment in the intel field. During hearings on capital hill about the Snowden case, testimony was given that our federal agencies could not accomplish their mission today without the assistance of civilian contractors (basically not enough bodies for the workload). Snowden worked for the NSA and didn't even graduate highschool (hard to believe isn't it) - if someone like that can get a job with Government intel imagine what a highly trained/experienced Marine with a final security clearance should be able to do.

Having said that, and since you've been lurking here for awhile, you know by now you can have all the scores in the world but if the MOS you want is not available (and intel is right up there with infantry for popularity) then it won't be offered to you. That's why you need a 2nd and 3rd choice with no guarantee you'll get any of those three.

When I enlisted (back in the days when Marines served on sailing ships and carried muskets), everybody went open contract - it was strictly needs of the USMC then. They made me an admin POG and I loved it - I loved being in a position to help the other Marines in my Company with their composite scores (for promotion), leave papers, order writing, you name it. As I gained experience and picked up rank, I eventually became an admin chief and ran my own admin section/center. Not being in a critical MOS, my monitor released me for a special duty assignment or "B" billet (embassy duty) twice during my career.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by jspano View Post

Now down to business...

My question is "how" did you Marines
    narrow down the MOS you ended up signing with ?***

Any tips, tricks or advice for a wannabee?

*TO ADD: I'm in regular contact with my Marine recruiter.
    In the OLD Days,,we didn't have much of a choice...
    The "justabout ONLY" option/choice was division or airwing
    guarantee for "Bait"

Nobody knew about mos's back then,, it was just wanting
    to be a Marine
    First to fight/first in / last out/ pi$$ pour librety all the time.

Credits
    Savings
    You're both right, being a Marine will always come first. I understand I need to have "backup" job choices if things don't go as planned. If that happens so be it, but you better believe I'll score as high as I can when I retake my ASVAB and wait for a slot if I need to. If still no cigar, then I'll just be the best at one of the other MOS's I listed above. Every job is the worst and every job is the best in The Corps right?
    @TennesseeTop- Hey if I gun for that Intel contract and don't get it than I put all out there + controlled all that I could in that situation. And you're right, no one is going to guarantee me anything in the civilian world either...I'll have to earn the job I want no matter how you split it.

MP is an awesome choice. Should you express a stronger interest in that field during your time as a poolee, feel free to ask me any question you want I am a very experienced and informed "go-to-guy" for prospective MPs..

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You are over thinking everything and most of it you have no control over.
    You just have to roll with it and make the best out of every situation and decision you make in life wether it is in the Marine Corps or not.

IMHO, if you can get it, go Intel. You'll be glad you did $$$

Best of luck to you.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks to everyone that posted.

@RockyC- I over-analyze everything it's a bad habit I gotta temper sometimes hahah. Will try to relax about things and see where I'm at with my recruiter once we start talking jobs.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sounds Great !!!

Keep us posted please.

Credits
    Savings
    Will do Rocky

Credits
    Savings

Update

Update!

I've got some news and didn't want to clutter the forum with another thread so here it goes....
    I had my final screening (Read:Interrogation haha)
    with SSgt Jones at my local RS two days ago and everything checks out and I'm going to be at MEPS either this Tuesday and Wednesday or just Wednesday depending on if my recruiter has me take the ASVAB again.

I had done the math on my own and Intel requires a 100 GT (VE + AR = GT), by my count I have a 109 but my recruiter Sgt Witt will double check. To cut to the chase, he hold me if my score is what I believe it to be that the Intel slot is mine because I'm enlisting the first month of the fiscal year. I'm pretty excited about this : ).

Also, I'm filling out my Security Form this weekend. Yesterday I was on the Rutgers campus and spotted a Marine Corps stand with a pull-up bar. I tried my hand at it and got 18 pull-ups, that earned me a conversation with a few of the Sgt's.
    Overall great day and things seem to be moving along for me.
    *Not set in stone but I was told if MEPS goes smoothly I'll be looking at a ship date of September - October 2014.

Last edited by jspano; 10-20-13 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Outstanding! Thanks for the update and keep going (one step at a time). Always great to hear good news.

Also remember that after a specified time in your MOS, you can apply for a lat move to another MOS, but it will come down to where the Corps needs you,,, but a Lateral move is a possibility..
    good luck, keep us posted

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Marines, I'm trying to live a day at a time and trying to enjoy this process because it only happens once. I felt confident hearing from SSgt Jones that he likes me, wants to help make me into a Marine and that he was confident in sending me off to MEPS.

In the event that I don't get Intel I will glady (Hopefully) serve the Corps being an MP or ATC.
    Anyway that's all for now I'll update this thread once I'm sworn.

- Joe Spano

Thread Information