Fear of fighting?
Create Post

Fear of fighting?

Was just wondering if you Marines think it is natural to be afraid while your out in combat? Is this a normal feeling? I want to serve and I dont mind being shipped into combat but was just wondering if it was natural or OK to be afraid sometimes. Not like hiding in the corner not fighting back afraid, but like experiencing fear of some sort while your doing what you've been trained to do.

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Is your question fear of fighting or fear of death ?

Fear is a natural thing, no mater what, but it is how you overcome it that mater, after boot camp and MCI training you will have a different attitude and will learn and now how to overcome things like that,, once the bullets start flying your training will take over and you won't have time to think about it..

This is a complex science that has been studied for generations..

Well, within the Marine Corps, Marines are instilled a special kind of fighting spirit. All adverse affects of fear is out the window once rounds are down rage. Some people fight or flight, however within the Corps the number of a flight reaction is reduced to almost nothing.. 99.99% of Marines will run towards the sounds of gunfire. However, that does not mean that the fear of death will still be held deep within..

Marines just display a different kind of reaction than most. And there is NOTHING wrong with having fears; it is natural for any human.

If you are wanting to serve and have fears TODAY of the battlefield. Worry not, because those fears will be handled very well once you have earned the title of being a Marine and become combat ready for your first combat deployment..

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Ferrier View Post
    Was just wondering if you Marines think it is natural to be afraid while your out in combat?
    You've already received some pertinent responses but I'd throw this out.
    I can only speak from my own personal experience.

If one is in actual combat (a fire fight) that 'fear' you refer to/anticipate can quickly change to a very strong sense of resolve to overcome the enemy and get the mission accomplished.
    During said firefight one realizes there are other Brother Marines that are also in harm's way and may rely upon your reactions to events to save them without thinking of yourself.

My point is, the mind set can evolve very quickly and fear becomes just a word without meaning and courage under fire can take over.

That's my take on it.....good luck.

I don't think any normal person wouldn't be afraid at some point. Especially in the lead up to the fight.

Fear is a normal response. It lets you know your still alive and that things are not "normal". Like other posters have stated, its what you do with that fear that will define you as a Marine. Your training should kick in but until you have been in that situation, you will not nor can you say "what I would have done".

Fear is natural and having some is healthy, it is when someone cannot control it and lets it debilitate them that it becomes dangerous.

Being able to understand the emotion, harness it, and move past it is what separates the men from the boys.

Thread Information