Only option is to go Reserve?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Only option is to go Reserve?

Hello everyone, I'm an aspiring Marine or i guess wannabe and have gone through half the process for enlistment with my recruiter. I'm 23 going on 24, passed my ASVAB with a 55. Now just waiting for my physical as my ears are now fully healed from closing my gauged ears surgically. Well here's where it gets kind of gut wrenching for me. Went to my see recruiter yesterday and was told my only option is reserve not active duty. I asked why and was told that high school graduates are no longer allowed to enlist as active duty anymore.

Apparently this new rule was taken into effect just about a week ago. I'm wondering if anyone else has heard about this as I've been searching to no avail. Active Duty is the way to go for me I'm not interested at all to become a reservist. Also one thing to note, my contract would apparently be 2x4. Two as a reserve and the rest as active duty. Although he might of mistaken it to be as Active reserve. Any insight would be appreciated, and ill most likely be going back tomorrow to my recruiter and get all info explaining it to me clearly. I would just appreciate if Any Marines or Marine Recruiters have any knowledge concerning this.

Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Unless things have changed completely in the last few years, you heard him incorrectly. The reserve contracts are usually 6x2, 6 years in the drilling reserves(1 weekend/mnth, 2weeks/yr thing) and 2 years in the IRR(individual ready reserve). There is no active duty time when your a reservist unless you get put on orders for a deployment or to fill a billet/empty spot somewhere in the fleet.

I can't say for sure about the not taking HS graduates for active duty but I can say that the Corps is tightening down in $$ and in numbers. With that it is easier/cheaper on the Corps to take on fresh HS graduates being that they have not dependents/baggage. They can also become more career oriented as they are taken in younger and trained.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for the response sir, as far as any baggage for me I don't have any. I honestly want to be in the Marine Corps as long as I can stay with them. I hope it's not true but I'll definitely dig as deep I can.

What is it that you want to do in the Marine Corps....your MOS? Your MOS qualification is based on several factors. Most significant are your ASVAB line scores.

http://www.military.com/ASVAB/0,,ASVAB_MOS_USMC.html

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa 23 View Post
    What is it that you want to do in the Marine Corps....your MOS? Your MOS qualification is based on several factors. Most significant are your ASVAB line scores.

http://www.military.com/ASVAB/0,,ASVAB_MOS_USMC.html
    My preferred MOS would be in the intelligence field. Other specific MOS I would also like are 0844, 5811, 1371, 7314, and 0352. I'd put more but I think you might get the picture. My line scores aren't that great but if you were curios are as follows: MM=105, GT=106, EL=102, and CL=107. Thank you for your response Ma'am. I'll take any feedback I can get.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I would double check with your recruiter ASAP.
    Everything you posted is incorrect as of 3 days ago.

Your post was yesterday so you should have the correct info by now.

Please get back to us on this information.

Thank you.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    I would double check with your recruiter ASAP.
    Everything you posted is incorrect as of 3 days ago.

Your post was yesterday so you should have the correct info by now.

Please get back to us on this information.

Thank you.
    Yes sir, I have updated info about my situation. Spoke to my recruiter and now it's changed. To go active duty I was told I need to pass the IST with 5 pull ups, 55 or more crunches, and an under 13:00 minute 1.5 mile. After I pass he said I'll just be waiting without no ship date. Most will be heading to boot camp on February but I'd have to wait until they can put an active duty on board. He has no idea how long that would take either.

Your recruiter can tell you the scores you need for those MOS's. My niece got 0200 Intel and I believe you need a GT of at least 110 for that field if I remember correctly.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It's been almost a month since your last post and you are logged in now, any updates yet ?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    It's been almost a month since your last post and you are logged in now, any updates yet ?

Yes sir, Not much has happened aside From a Master Sergeant from another recruiting office telling me that when there's an open active duty space I'll be in.

Last edited by Rocky C; 10-08-13 at 04:01 PM.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sounds Good.

Thank you.

Thread Information