1171 Utilities
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1171 Utilities

1171 Utilities

Good day Ladies, Gentlemen.
    I am a brand new Marine. I graduated bootcamp last week and ive been trying to research my MOS a little but to no avail. Does anyone have any good insight into this MOS?

1171 Water Support Tech?

any ideas on what im going to be doing or who ill be working with?

and will i be deployable?

thank you all so much.

Similar Threads:

First, congrats on making it. Now comes the fun part.

You will be a "water dog". No one is sure what you guys actually do other than eat and hang out, but you play the cards your dealt. Pretty sure the showers etc fall under your MOS and you guys are supposed to provide purified water in the field. When on deployment nowadays pretty much all of the water is bottled so quite honestly I'm not sure how much work you will be doing. I can tell you, yes 1171s do deploy.

Thank you Gunnery Sergeant. Eat and hangout...ohboy. Is it fair to think that I'll be able to pursue my education while I am enlisted? I've been told some MOSs have no time to mess with schoolwork and others do... Part of the reasons why I joined this beloved Marine Corps was for the education benefits. As I'd like to possibly go into OCS after I get my 4 year degree

Well, your going to have to complete MCT and your MOS school before thinking about off duty education. Learn your job first then take care of the other stuff. Once you hit the fleet it will depend on where you are stationed and what your local command policy is on taking courses. Some places require you to be on station for a certain amount of time before approving tuition assistance. As for going to OCS there are plenty of programs available to go the Officer route if you are dedicated enough. The MECEP program is one of the best you will see since you get paid to get an education. I would recommend you spend a little time in the Corps first before dreaming of such things, at least one or two years in the fleet so you know what you are getting into.

Right Right. Thank you GySGT Yup. Im very excited.

Congrats boot on earning the title, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Don't get to excited with what I am about to say especially considering the war is winding down and pretty much over, in Afghanistan anyway.

But we had some utilities guys and water dogs like yourself that we took out on missions/convoys and were our gunners. They really had no use in the rear on base/in the FOB so we took them with us.

I see.... SO kind of backed up infantry units?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernCA831 View Post

I see....
    SO ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    " kind of " backed up infantry units?

You'll find Marines of (Various MOS's) being used
    every time MANPOWER runs short....
    many places,,,not just activly outside the wire,
    or providing your OWN Security,
    or HUMPING Freight because their isn't/aren't
    enough forklifts or cranes....

not always in their assigned mos's,
    and not always to their liking.....

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernCA831 View Post
    I see.... SO kind of backed up infantry units?
    No...you just fill voids/empty seats where a boots are needed

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Congrats Marine.

I'm reading this thread and I keep thinking about that movie " Waterboy " with Adam Sandler.

Now I want to go rent it .
    Great Movie...

Sorry to jack the thread.

Carry on...

Don't forget that every Marine is first and foremost an 0300 (infantryman).... At least that's the way it was in my day; thus the rifle range qualification every year.

Sgt. E.G. Sellers 1398767 ('53-'57)

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You got that right Jerry. Every Marine is a Rifleman first and foremost.

Don't forget a Marine and his rifle are the deadliest person in the world, Semper Fidelis.

If Korea were a "police action," why didn't they just send us home and bring in some cops? (Current joke going around Pusan in the '50s....)

Thread Information