foreigner trying to get into the Corps
Create Post

foreigner trying to get into the Corps

Hello, I'm from Chile and i'd like to serve in Afghanistan before the full withdrawal next year.
    I know that i need a greencard, but Chile and the U.S. has a very friendly relationship, to the point where we don't need a visa to visit the states and viceversa, so i'm asking, is it really that hard to get a greencard? Even for a chilean? Maybe there's an easier way to get in, I need help on this.
    I'm going to Memphis with my mom maybe next month, and i'll talk to a recruiting officer on this, but I desperately need to know beforehand, so i don't get my hopes so high.
    Thanks.

ps: i have a GED, some experience with car engines, experience with maintaining and shooting and M1 Garand and other firearms, and absolute determination.

Similar Threads:

sorry to disappoint you but at least for the Marines,, they are not taking GED's anymore,, maybe the Army,, I don't know if they are or not,,,

Go to the nearest US consulate and talk to a consular (visa) officer. They get asked this question often and will be able to answer it for you.

Thanks, i'll do that.
    As for the GED thing, i was referring to the south american version of the test, meaning that i finished high school and took the test.

Also: Does an MOS in the USMC count as a regular job?
    I looked for info on the inmigrant Visa, and a job oportunity is required in order to get it.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Wow !!!
    Are you interested in a Green Card or becoming a United States Marine ???

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    all the immigration status and green card business aside.....Even if you shipped to boot camp today, that doesn't put you into the fleet until around spring of next year(depending on MOS). I highly doubt you'd get a deployment to Afghanistan(MOS depending again).

That's sad to hear. I really wanted to help you guys Marines....The Marines who have answered your questions have EARNED the title on the fight, but the embassy replied my e-mail and told me that I need the green card first in order to enlist. Then is the thing that josephd mentioned about the deployment to Afghanistan. I want to be a rifleman, I hope that could make things easier, but anyway, no green card, no MOS and finally, no USMC for me.
    I'm gonna keep tryin anyway, maybe if in the near future something screwed up happens in Syria I'll have my stuff in order to finally serve with you.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 08-28-13 at 07:23 AM.

Good luck. You may know this already but US Marines guard our embassies and some consulates (I was with the Consulate General in Sao Paulo, Brazil as well as the embassies in Guatemala, Nicaragua, and Haiti). If you ever earn the title and lucky enough to be a Marine Security Guard, maybe you could be assigned to the embassy in Santiago (don't know the policy about serving in your native country so it may be against the rules).

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Best of luck to you.

Thanks for your time, Marines.
    Respect.

Thread Information