Infantry MOS question
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Infantry MOS question

Hello. My son is currently beginning his 3rd week as a recruit at Parris Island. He entered with an Infantry MOS. He wanted to enter on a UZ Recon Contract to assure him a shot at Recon, but there were none available at his recruitment station. My question is about the process of determining what direction he will go under the infantry umbrella. From my research, there seems to be several different jobs within this occupational specialty. Is this a choice HE gets to make, or is he just placed wherever he is needed? I would imagine this decision is determined while he is at SOI training, correct? Does anyone know the current climate in regards to spots available for interested "grunts" who want to try out for Recon? Meaning... do they still come around and ask for volunteers or is the UZ Recon contract the only way to go? Thanks in advance for any insight you might have to add!

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Roscoe
    Welcome to the site..

I'm sure the NewKids will be in to answer your questions.
    Just remind your son that his primary concern now is to
    earn the title, and graduate as a Marine.

We're always anxious to ad Marines to the Corps,
    and Marines and Their Families to the site.

Thanks... this isn't my son's question. This is mine. He is at bootcamp.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Shirl.

If you click on the links " Similar Threads " under your thread you will find a wealth of information about the infantry until a Marine comes by to answer all of your questions.

Best of luck to your son and please have him join our forum also when he graduates.

Excellent! Thank you, Rocky. What a great site... I'm so glad I stumbled here : )

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You are most welcome.
    Hang in there, it's early yet, Saturday Morning. Alot of Marines are doing the slow crawl right now. Hahahaha !!!

as with my Daughter, (which as a WM was not aloud to a Grunt unit) She was sent to Supply because of her scores and that was where she was needed, but after 18 months to 2 years she made a Lateral move to another MOS,,but in the middle of that transfer ,(even though her score were high enough for the Electronics School) the Marine Corps sent Her to another MOS for another higher job in Supply,, because they told Her She was excellent in Her MOS and they really needed Her there,, not that She is Happy about it but She said "Dad i Go where I am needed" She re-enlisted and is now at the end of Her Schooling and is headed to Japan, in another 18 months to 2 yrs She will try again for Her School of choice

hope this helps a little God Bless to you and your Son and family

Thanks for the reply! My son already has that mindset of "Mom, I will go where I am needed" and he has just started bootcamp! However, I know what path he really wants to take, so I am trying to get as much info as I can since I'm not sure he will tell me (or that he even knows) about the actual process. I've been reading that alot of Marines are being sent to Japan once their initial training is complete. My son hopes to go to Camp Pendleton since that is where Recon training is held. But he doesn't want to rock the boat in any way... so he will go wherever they tell him he is going without questioning anything. As his Mother (bear), I just want what's best for him... even though I know it's time to let go!! I'm getting there... but I miss him like crazy... not sure I will ever get use to that... but mostly just proud as hell and happy to be along for the ride!

Best of luck to your daughter... and tell her a RecruitMom says "thanks for serving"!

will do,, thanks, and i know what you mean about missing your kids,, this old crusty Jarhead is both very Proud of his Daughter and misses Her around the house as well, and no at least for me, you never stop worrying and missing them, you just learn how to live with it and push it to the back of your head and realize they have the best training and are in (when your son earns the title) the biggest and best family in the world

ps, i am chatting with my Daughter at this very moment,, texts over the phone man i love these phones,,lol

Well, forgive me for not thanking the "old crusty jarhead" for his service too!! : )

I love how many families carry the USMC tradition from generation to generation! My father is a former Marine... and he is bursting with pride over my son's decision to follow the same path. He will be there standing tall at my son's graduation on November 1st! What a joy to be there with them both on such a special day!

it is special, i was bursting myself when i went to my Daughters grad. and visiting day was great as well,,, kind of a long flight from Arizona to S. Carolina but well worth the trip,,,

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Recon is an elite title.....great if you can earn it! However, if your son wants to get up close and personal with the misfortunes of war........become a Grunt in a rifle company.

In the Marine Corps, the mos that really takes it to the enemy and produces maximum damage is the Marine Corps Infantry. Grunts within our rifle companies are the 1's that win the battles, recon gathers info.

If your son is really good he might even be assigned to the most decorated and elite Marine Corps Regiment of them all, the coveted 5th Marines.

Thank you for the input... it is appreciated!! : )

And thanks for serving as a 5th Marine yourself!!

Really the most damage comes from Marine artillery but we are first riflemen, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.

Thread Information