Infantry MOS question - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Credits
    Savings
    I was an 0311 and had a great time doing it. However, I joined with the ambitions of doing recon. I was medically DQ'ed during the indoc I took at SOI because of my vision. (I have since had lasik.) Well, I got comfortable with my unit. I became a squad leader and made some great friends. I got out after 4 years because I promised my dad I would attend college and the Post 9/11 had just started and it was a great decision. But, that desire to become a recon Marine is still there. And being prior service trying to get into a reserve recon unit has proved somewhat challenging. If I were to give your son some advice it would be if he wants to do recon he needs to do it. Go try out until they take him. Work hard and keep his eye on the prize.

Thank you so much for your reply Tan0311 and for your service! I will certainly pass your thoughts along to my son. He just received a Meritorious promotion to Lance Corporal and that was just 3 months after he received a Meritorious MAST for "leadership exhibited" during a training deployment. He is currently deployed to another location now and has said he may try out for Recon upon his return to the states next year. We are very proud of him (and all of you who walked the walk before him!). Semper Fi! <3

Quote Originally Posted by Tan0311 View Post
    I was an 0311 and had a great time doing it. However, I joined with the ambitions of doing recon. I was medically DQ'ed during the indoc I took at SOI because of my vision. (I have since had lasik.) Well, I got comfortable with my unit. I became a squad leader and made some great friends. I got out after 4 years because I promised my dad I would attend college and the Post 9/11 had just started and it was a great decision. But, that desire to become a recon Marine is still there. And being prior service trying to get into a reserve recon unit has proved somewhat challenging. If I were to give your son some advice it would be if he wants to do recon he needs to do it. Go try out until they take him. Work hard and keep his eye on the prize.

Great site!

My son ships out to MCRD San Diego on June 22. He's been a Poolee in the DEP since May 2014. He was hoping to get 0311 but his recruiter informed him it's zeroed out, so he took Motor T. Not at all what he has always dreamed of, but he's willing to go where he can and possibly lateral in two years. At least that's what he's been told his option is. He'd ship today if they'd let him.

That "lateral move in two years" line works every time. Rarely ever happens (for many reasons) but one can always hope. Good luck to your son.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    That "lateral move in two years" line works every time. Rarely ever happens (for many reasons) but one can always hope. Good luck to your son.
    That's what I thought about it. It surprised me that 0311 is zeroed out. I hate to see him go in and be stuck in an MOS he hates. He's always said he wants to retire in the Corps.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Motor T is an honorable MOS.....without them the rest of the Corps won't ride....he will have a trade in his four years.....As the MSGT said two years lateral very seldom works....but ne can negotiate in 4 years when and if he reenlists for the Infantry field.

Since 911 it has been real hard to get into infantry....he has a good head on if he I willing to except MT and leave today just to become a Marine.....

A little bit of advice....do not set the heart on retirement.....live enlistment to enlistment....and end year to year....except for the last day....of twenty....a lot of variable's can happen between June 2015 and 2035....Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by stackman View Post
    Great site!

My son ships out to MCRD San Diego on June 22. He's been a Poolee in the DEP since May 2014. He was hoping to get 0311 but his recruiter informed him it's zeroed out, so he took Motor T. Not at all what he has always dreamed of, but he's willing to go where he can and possibly lateral in two years. At least that's what he's been told his option is. He'd ship today if they'd let him.
    Hello Stackman!

Your son's gung-ho attitude is very familiar to me. My son was the same way! My son was at Parris Island, but if San Diego is anything like it, the ceremonies and family events during graduation week are not to be missed! I can honestly say it was one of the best experiences of my life (next to childbirth of course ; )

Best of luck to your son! I understand his desire to be infantry... it truly is a different breed... but it sounds like he's going in with a great attitude and things will work out the way they are supposed to for him!

Shirl

I jokingly said to him, "you know the Army has infantry as well". He said Army, what's that....I'm going to be a Marine or nothing at all. I pray he never loses that dedication. It's haunted me my entire life for not serving when I had the desire, so yes I'm going to live vicariously through my son and watching him grow in and love The Corps.

Credits
    Savings
    Yesterday, 08:27 PM #49
    Tennessee Top That "lateral move in two years" line works every time.
    _______ ___________ _____________ _____________ _________

Quote Originally Posted by stackman View Post
    That's what I thought about it.
    It surprised me that 0311 is zeroed out.
    "SHIRLEY"- you jest......"airplane quote"
    I hate to see him go in and be stuck in an MOS he hates.
    He's always said he wants to retire in the Corps.
    one of the advantages of a motor t mos, is not
    having to walk everywhere you want or need to go.

Thread Information