Life of a Reserve Field Radio Operator (0621) and Deployments
Create Post

Life of a Reserve Field Radio Operator (0621) and Deployments

Hi everyone,
    I am set to ship for bootcamp on Nov 4, 2013. I am signed up as a reservist and I have currently signed up to be a field radio operator. For those who were or are FROs, can you please tell me how the MOS school is and what I will be doing on my training once a month/2-weeks a year. Basically the life of a FRO.

Also, lets say I want to change my MOS before leaving for bootcamp, how hard is this to do?

Thanks in advance,
    Ravi

Similar Threads:

You will learn how to program, trouble shoot and operate radios. You will also learn about remoting radios, setting up antennas, basic radio wave propagation/basic electronics and operating cryptographic equipment. You can be assigned to any unit and may hold a different billet. Some times it's a pain in the butt when equipment breaks. Stay organize and learn to keep accountability. Radios and cryptographic gear is something you don't want to lose.

If you have doubts, change it before you ship. Once you ship, it's very difficult to change MOS.

Last edited by Rocky C; 09-03-13 at 08:14 AM.

Thank you for your response.

Deployment Opportunities Reserves

Hello everyone,
    I am going to bootcamp on 20131104 as a 0621 in the Reserve Component. I understand that Iraq has been over since 2011 and now Afghanistan is also winding down. That being said, does this mean less deployment opportunities? Do you think I will have any opportunities to volunteer for deployment once I am done with my training?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know if it's still going on, but there is the UNITAS deployment. There was a lot of space there for reservist. I can't remember if it was mostly a reservist float or not.

From what I remember, it's a float around the southern half of the world that west pac and the atlantic deployments don't cover. Used to be, at least. And not too long ago.

I remember UNITAS stopping in Brazil when I was on MSG duty there (1990).

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    From what I heard Marine Forces UNITAS 43-02 was the last deployment in 2002.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Also you can click the links under similar threads under your post and gain some valuable information.

That is why the links are there.

Your 2 threads on this subject have been merged by Squad Leader Lisa 23.

Best of luck to you.

Thread Information