Starting a family - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Well since you are all here i might as well ask some things...
    Does anybody have tips for training for recon? I was looking online and i read the testing goes like this.
    3 miles in 18 minutes =100 points
    80 crunches in 2 min. =100
    and 20 Dead hangs = 100
    other stuff also like swimming and distance running too.
    i need 275 points to join recon
    Any tips for preparing for this testing?
    and i also heard that weight lifting doesnt help for the Marines because youre mostly using your own body weight.. Which is dissapointing because i lift a lot for football.

Did you miss the part in post #15 about correct spelling/punctuation? You still have numerous misspelled words and uncaptialized words that must be capitalized. You are not texting your buddies here. Get it together.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Site rules also say you must use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling (you are not texting us). So, watch those "i's".
    CParker, I suggest you take Tennessee Top's advice on the proper use of grammar.

POOLEE/WANNABEE SITE RULES! Read FIRST!!!

Rule Eight when you post make sure that it looks like you are submitting it to your english teacher for their determination whether you pass or fail!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...FIRST!!!/page2

Credits
    Savings
    I'm sorry I kind of rushed through that last post...I'm on my phone, but I'll be more carefull.

You're new here and still learning. Your phone will present some problems (you're used to texting fast and taking shortcuts with it). Take your time here and put some work into what you're writing (no shortcuts). There are no shortcuts in the USMC - only hard work and dedication (more so in the recon community). In preparation, you need to start with that attitude now.

Credits
    Savings
    Absolutely. I completely understand and agree.

I was never a Recon Ranger but served with and lead a few. Don't remember any of them being big/burly football player types. They were superior athletes but smallish/wirey/compact (more like professional bull riders/rodeo cowboys if you've ever seen them).

Obviously, you'd need to be an excellent/powerful swimmer able to swim long distances with lots of additional weight/gear. Practice treading water with your hands tied behind your back and also holding a weight above your head (have a spotter for safety). It's very similar to SEAL training - you need to be comfortable spending a lot of time in the water.

As far as training for the physical fitness test (PFT), concentrate on upper body strength (pullups), abdominal/core strength (crunches), and leg strength/aerobics for the run. When you enlist and become a poolee (delayed entry program or DEP), you will be doing physical training with your recruiters which will prepare you for the PFT.

Credits
    Savings
    I have a pool that I spend a lot of time in so I'm a pretty good swimmer. I may not be what you expect of a football player though, I am 6 foot 2 , and weigh 180 , if that makes it any more imaginable. I am from New York so I honestly have never met a bull rider in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by CParker View Post
    I have a pool that I spend a lot of time in so I'm a pretty good swimmer. I may not be what you expect of a football player though, I am 6 foot 2 , and weigh 180 , if that makes it any more imaginable. I am from New York so I honestly have never met a bull rider in my life.
    That is very strange because while on active duty I met and knew a lot of cowboys from New York. Could it be that they all moved to Arizona, Utah or Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by CParker View Post
    Pretty good is not good enough to pass recon training and will get you dropped the first day in the pool. Excellent "may" be good enough - outstanding is more like it. This is one area you'll need to focus and work hard on. Start swimming with clothes and boots on. Later, get a weight belt and start swimming with it on (plus the clothes/boots). Start with light weights and keep adding more. By the way, Recon Marines do not stay out of the water when it turns cold either. Wars are not put on hold just because the weather turns bad. You'll see how much you REALLY want to be in recon this winter when everybody's pools are closed. Easy to say you want to be in recon...another thing to actually do it.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    True words Top

Little Grasshopper, take your time about marrying and starting a family. You have a long life to experience. There's a big world out there to explore. Live today like there's no tomorrow. Be kind, be respectful, and always admire the sunrises for it will be another day for you.

Thread Information