VA and 0% Rating
Create Post

VA and 0% Rating

I have received a 0% rating for two injuries I sustained while serving on active duty. I just wanted to find out from someone who may have more experience with a 0% rating and find out what it means for me.

If I'm correct, If said injuries get worse, I can go back to the VA anytime and get bumped up if injuries warrant it but also get treatment for them. Is this for the rest of my life or a set period of time?

I currently have five years of VA coverage (for serving in Afghanistan). I read something about my VA ID and that it should get a service connected disability on it. If this is true, do I keep the ID for life?

It also says in my packet I received from the VA that I'll receive a packet in the mail for S-DVI.

Any information pertaining to a 0% rating would be helpful. I've done some browsing and found the above things but they weren't quite clear.

Semper Fi

Similar Threads:

You should not be working with the VA at this point. You should contact the local Disabled American Veterans (DAV) representative (outside of the VA) to discuss your situation. They are specially trained and certified in disabilities and submitting claims for the same. They also act as the claimaint's advocate in the process and their mission is to attain all the benefits/highest disability rating possible. These people do not work for the VA so are different than regular VA representatives you may find at VA hospitals/clinics or college campuses. Make sure the person you talk to is with the DAV and not the VA.

Please come back and update your post for future reference (like the "similar threads" beneath your question. Someone in the future may have similar issues as yours and can benefit from your experience.

Good luck.

Like Top has said, you need an advocate to represent YOU to the VA. The VA is not your friend. The DAV helped me get my disability when I needed it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You've got Your Boot in the Door now I was rated @ 0% for multiply Gunshot wounds,& Concussions that were on my medical records In the Line of Duty not misconduct as I was discharged.Did not go 2 the VA for many years but like stated I had my Boot in the Door when my Union Medical Ins no longer wanted Me for an injury I just had incurred on Job they shifted Me over 2 the VA so the Service Connection @ 0% was actually a Blessing it was my Trump Card in the Long run.GodBless Yah and Welcome Home try and lead a good clean life You owe it 2 Yourself Go Easy Semper Fi

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    0 % is a start. Now you are Service Connected Disabled and are entitled to Health Care for Life from the VA. As time goes on you can submit claims to the VA for a higher rating which will pay you money.

I suggest you use the DAV to represent you and help you with your paperwork that will be forwarded to the Regional Office where you live for processing.

Also you are correct. The picture ID that you receive from the VA that you have to show when you check in for Clinic appts etc. is the one you will keep for life and just go to the office at the VA Hospital that took your picture and they will put " Service Connected " under your picture for you.

Best of luck to you and welcome home.

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Rocky,

Health care for life. That's great. One question, is this only for the related injuries with the 0% rating, or anything?

What paperwork would the DAV assist me with? I went to an office when I first came off active duty and sat down with a gentlemen at the County Veterans Service Office. He told me about my benefits of being a veteran (gi bill, va home loan, etc), then filled out the claim form for any injuries I sustained while serving, etc. This was back in Oct of 2012.

I did the P&C appointments that the VA required, and got in the mail yesterday their decision on the 0%.

I appreciate the help in understanding this better.

Semper Fi

The 0% rating simply means that VA recognizes you have a disability related to service and that while it is due to service, the actual physical or mental disability isn't compensable (meaning VA can't pay you for it).

It means you can be treated for this/these conditions for free at any VA Medical Center. Your priority at the medical centers will be in the lowest category however. Talk to your patient advocate at your local VA medical center for more information about your priority group. They are the best source of information.

It really doesn't matter which service organization you get to assist you with any futher claims for benefits. Just like everywhere you go, you'll get folks who know what they are doing and others will just be full of sea stories and good intentions. I suggest you meet face to face with a few of them, develop a relationship with one you feel is knowledgeable, and work with that group.

I recommend that you take stock of your mental and physical health and how it was actually effected by your service. At the VA you need three things: 1) an event or injury in service; 2) an actual chronic disability related to that injury/event; and finally an actual disability that can be linked with the injury/event that happened in service. For example: You have knee problems because of an injury in service. It has existed since service and you still have problems with the injury (chronic). You should ask VA to relate that to your service.

Also ALWAYS provide VA with any private treatment records or with a statement from you about the injury and how you're effected by it. Doesn't have to be a long drawn out statement. Something like: "I fell in a hole and broke my leg, it still hurts even after 5 years and my doctor thinks that my arthritis is because of this injury". That will go a LOOOOONG way in speeding up your claim and getting your claim pointed in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

Semper Fi

The claim was approved, which is why they gave me the 0% (I understand the 0 compensation). I know if said problems get worse, I can go in for treatment and get it documented. I also know this can be filed as a claim for a higher rating in the event it gets worse down the road. I was told in the TAPS brief we were required to take before EASing, that it was better to get a 0%, then nothing.

Rocky says free VA healthcare for life, so I'm just trying to figure out if this is for everything or just the service related injuries. I've heard both answers, so I don't know which one is the correct one, or maybe I'm just misunderstanding it.

Appreciate the response WMSgt and Semper Fi.

The treatment for the service related injuries will be treated at no out of pocket costs. However if you incur another injury and seek treatment there will be a copay. I had to have a tumor removed that was not service related and the copay for my surgery was $50.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Matt,
    Click this link Brother and it's all here.
    Read the benefits booklet.
    If I had to type it out it would have taken me 4 months to do it .

http://benefits.va.gov/benefits/

I'm still browsing the benefits booklet. I contacted the Veterans Service Office asking for information also (the same office where they filled out my claim form to the VA). I was sent a file that shows what you're eligible under what percent. It says Healthcare for the SC Disability, and not everything, so it clarifies it a bit more.

Thread Information