Officer Lateral Move Question
Create Post

Officer Lateral Move Question

I'm currently on active duty as an officer in the USMC and thinking about putting in for a lateral transfer. I am familiar with Marine Corps Order 1210.9, which governs officer lateral moves. It mentions an SMOS convening board MARADMIN that is supposed to describe "over" and "short" MOS. Identifying these are a prerequisite for applying for a transfer. I have searched high and low (especially on marines.mil) for these, but the most recent one I found was from FY 03. Does anyone know where I might be able to find this MARADMIN?
    I'm also wondering if MCO 1210.9 is now out of date, since it was published in 2001. Has it been supplanted by a new order?

Similar Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by LT45 View Post
    I'm currently on active duty as an officer in the USMC and thinking about putting in for a lateral transfer. I am familiar with Marine Corps Order 1210.9, which governs officer lateral moves. It mentions an SMOS convening board MARADMIN that is supposed to describe "over" and "short" MOS. Identifying these are a prerequisite for applying for a transfer. I have searched high and low (especially on marines.mil) for these, but the most recent one I found was from FY 03. Does anyone know where I might be able to find this MARADMIN?
    I'm also wondering if MCO 1210.9 is now out of date, since it was published in 2001. Has it been supplanted by a new order?
    I have no idea, but I highly doubt that the Marine Corps is willing to spend the resources to retrain a 2nd/1st Lieutenant for a new MOS.

There are plenty of opportunities for LogOs and unrestricted line officers. Talk to your CO, and ask around for opportunities.

Also, you could apply for a competitive air slot, if you're interested in being a pilot; but those are hard to get, especially nowadays.

Sir, thanks for your response. I did some digging and I'm going to repost some of what I found here for future reference and in case others are interested in this process. The first step is to visit the MMOA website, go to the officer's page and find the lat move section. There is an updated version of the MCO 1210.9 there as well as the other documents associated with the process. The document that determines MOS availability is the MPP GAR or grade adjusted report, not the SMOS MARADMIN. I asked how to access this report and it seems that this is a document that changes monthly and is tightly controlled by MMOA. I wasn't able to get the actual report, but the Captain in charge of the program said that they frequently have openings for 0302, 0802 and 1180. Any other MOS is rarely, if ever short (and thus unavailable to move into), although again the GAR changes month to month.

1180 should read 0180.

No need for the sir man. I'm in the IRR. Best of luck in your endeavors, sorry I wasn't able to help more!

Thread Information