Thoughts on Linguists
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Thoughts on Linguists

Hello, Marines.

It has taken nearly two years, but I am finally shipping out...in two weeks. I took the ASVAB, passed the DLAB, and in a few days I will sign a contract for Cryptologic Linguist with a $7000 signing bonus. For all this time I've been set on this job; literally everything I had read said this is a VERY good job. But as is usually the case, you start thinking a little differently at the edge of the cliff. These past few days I've been reading more in depth about the job on multiple websites, and it's actually gotten me a little apprehensive about it. People saying they hate the job, everyone they know hates the job, people within the Crypto community telling others it's not worth it, etc. Is it really that bad? Ultimately no matter how it turns out to be, I will make the most of it, but I could use some fresh input. Do you or any Cryptologic Linguists you know enjoy your job? Are there a lot of different opportunities within the mos? I know there are a lot of different possibilities as far as what language you're assigned, and what unit you're sent to that determine your job duties and daily life, but how much influence does someone actually have over their career? If I show a high level of initiative and competency in my job, will that open up a lot of doors, or is this a field where you're stuck in one assignment until they decide to put you elsewhere? Sorry this is such a long post, I'm just just trying to get some more specific answers. And sorry for the italics. The italic feature froze after I wrote "possibilities". Anyway, thanks in advance.