Thread: Parachute Wings

Registered User Free Member leroy8541's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    10 Marines to be disciplined for 'blood-winging' incident

One may be discharged
    July 11, 1997
    Web posted at: 4:33 p.m. EDT (2033 GMT)
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. Marine Corps announced Friday that 10 Marines who were videotaped pounding pins into the chests of other Marines will be disciplined and that one of them, a sergeant, has been recommended for a discharge.

The 1993 incident, which was videotaped in South Korea, was similar to a 1991 incident that was videotaped at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, and broadcast by CNN in January.

Both incidents involve a banned ritual called "blood-winging" or "blood-pinning," in which gold "jump wings" are pushed into the chests of marines who have successfully completed jump school. The pins are awarded after a Marine has made 10 parachute jumps.

The videotape shows a group of marines using a helmeted marine as a battering ram to pound the jump wings into the chest of the hazing victim. The tape shows Marines grimacing and bleeding as the wings are beaten into their chests.

The most senior Marine identified on the 1993 tape -- a gunnery sergeant -- is being recommended for discharge by Maj. Gen. Patrick Howard. Howard was authorized by Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Charles Krulak to determine the punishment for those involved.

The discharge is the most serious punishment imposed in connection with the hazing, which involved nine Marines and one sailor still on active duty.

'Leaders must be held responsible'

In addition to the discharge, Howard recommended that a memo about the pinning be placed in the records of three other staff sergeants who were at the blood pinning. Those three Marines also should receive personal and written counseling.

The remaining six servicemen -- three sergeants, one corporal, one sailor and another Marine whose rank was not disclosed -- should receive personal counseling from their superiors, Howard said.

Defense Secretary William Cohen said he was "disturbed and disgusted" when he learned of the incident in January, and said the military must have "zero tolerance" for that kind of hazing.

"I based my dispositions in this case on certain considerations," Howard said in a statement released Friday. "Foremost is the responsibility of leadership.

"Where the welfare of Marines is concerned, nothing less than the total commitment of every leader is acceptable. Leaders must be held responsible; therefore, they received the most severe sanctions."

2 others dismissed in March

Eleven Marines were disciplined in March for the 1991 incident. Howard recommended dismissals for the platoon's commander -- a captain -- and a platoon sergeant in that case, and that details of the incident be placed in the records of all concerned. Written and personal counseling was also advised.

The Marine Corps issued tough new rules against hazing last month, which specifically ban initiations or "rites of passage that are cruel, abusive, humiliating, or oppressive."

Credits
    Savings
    This is where the new, kinder, gentler, Marine Corps started. In my opinion its all bull because of a sissy who somehow got into a position where he did not belong.

Marine Free Member Derek Blevins's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Leroy
    That explains a great deal.
    I'm just relieved they didn't award us our Royal Marines Commando daggers that way, or none of us would have survived!

Derek

Credits
    Savings
    Actually the blood wings were a breeze compared to the "earning" of the SS brand after completing sniper school. The things we have done to appear tough in the eyes of our peers.

Devon,England and in the winter my little family hideaway in Spain
    Credits
    Savings
    Hello again Derek. It was interesting to read the responses to my mention of "painful" ceremony. They pretty much said it all. In those days in 2nd Anglico a very large "gold winger" braced himself behind you and the jumpmaster of the day pinned on your wings with a hearty elbow thrust. Happy days! Would not have missed the tour for anything though. I believe the exchange is still going so it is possible for someone of '91 vintage being involved. Regards, Jimmy Millin

Derek Blevins, oldanglico and every one else who may may be interested, I was with 1st ANGLICO from 1964-66 at Camp Smith and K-Bay. The adwarding of your gold wings is an event that the recipient both hungers for and dreads. Every Recon and/or ANGLICO Marine strives for this honor and knows the temporary pain that goes with it. I have seen Gold Wings awarded several times to both enlisted and officers and in the old days the proceedure was exactly the same. Most Marines who have earned their wings never get the chance to earn the coveted Gold or "Senior" wings because once they have completed school and returned to their home unit they don't get the opportunity to make the unit jumps necessary to count towards your "10". I have heard alot of the stories over the years, such as "never went to a jump school, because I got mine in Nam" etc. Just laugh, because jump wings are just not earned this way. The person wearing them must go through a jump school and must make the required number of unit jumps. By the way during Nam there were jump schools at Scofield in Hawaii, Ft. Bragb and on Oki, but everyone went to school. "Death from above"

What got me about the "scandal" was the high ranking officers' hypocracy, during this time. They decried them as "unprofessional", etc., like they didn't know all about them. Just a lot of BS, Most had been through them, themselves. Everybody knew about the various "rites of passage" and accepted them as part of being a Marine, but when the media got involved, they ran like a bunch of scared school girls!

According to Kalbo, I'm a "Legs" Marine. While on active duty, I was never in Force Recon, nor have I ever jumped in civilian life since I went "inactive". Regardless, I hate military fakes and wannabe's. I have a suggestion which might smoke out your parlor para-Marine stuntman if he is false.

I've heard that all jump-qualified Marines know how to pack chutes, as well as use them. If this is correct, then you can perform an empirical test on your subject. Invite the fellow to join a select group of you for a jump.

If he accepts your invitation, hand him an unfurled parachute. Explain that you all pack your own kits. You can tell him it is a ritual within your small group of close friends. If he suddenly changes his mind about jumping, then he is a fake. If he does pack the rig, you'll spot whether he knows what he is doing. Either way, you'll have your answer.

If none of what I've written makes sense, remember, it is a "Legs" Marine writing it. I knew about cargo nets, beach landings, and jumping out of helicopters, ...not parachutes.

namgrunt

Registered User Free Member jakRoyalMarine's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Good Morning Gents,
    As a Marine family, why do we not take this walter out for a jump, and see if he does know how to jump.

We all know he is full of ****,

A Part Timer who is so full of himself, because he works in the film Industry.

Gents, i do look forward to finind out more regarding this Walter, and inviting him out for a jump session.

yours
    jake

Marine Free Member Derek Blevins's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    An Update

Using the information you guys have provided I contacted our suspect 'Walter' and asked him what 'blood winging' was.

The fact is, he came back with information that makes it look as if he did indeed qualify for Gold Para Wings. He states that he was awarded his Wings in 1990, and the CO was a Lt Col Engstrom USMC. He was with members of 29 Commando Royal Artillery, 148 Bty, whose exchange trip was taking place at that time, and although the Lt Col only pretended to punch their wings on, the 20 USMC guys who followed punched them in properly! He also states they also jumped from an OV10 recce aircraft.

I'm prepared to give credit where credit is due, but we have also proved that many of his claims are false, or at least highly exaggerated.

Thanks again for all your help.

I had to get in on this thread when I saw the word Anglico go by. I spent 3yrs 4 months and 22 days with 2nd Anglico in Camp Lejeune. I distinctly remember my wing pinning day. My wife watched and later decided not to even try to wash the blood out of the white t-shirt. We just threw it away.

Regarding the "scandal", I still feel proud of that day and wouldn't replace it for anything. All this about "watching out for the safety of our Marines" by not allowing wing pinning is BS and everybody who has been through it knows that.

Hello to all the Royal Marines who may have been in 2nd Anglico between March of 1970 and June of 1973. We may have run into each other. Also, thanks for your country's help with the present war.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Geronimo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TWO POINT'S GENTLEMAN,WE DID MAKE JUMP'S OUT OF THE OV-10 BRONCO;SECOND UNLESS YOU WENT TOO THE FORMAL RIGGER SCHOOL.'BAC IN MY ERA,IT WAS AT FT.LEE,VIRGINIA.THEN YOU PACKED YOU'R OWN T-10!

Quote Originally Posted by FISTFU68
    TWO POINT'S GENTLEMAN,WE DID MAKE JUMP'S OUT OF THE OV-10 BRONCO;SECOND UNLESS YOU WENT TOO THE FORMAL RIGGER SCHOOL.'BAC IN MY ERA,IT WAS AT FT.LEE,VIRGINIA.THEN YOU PACKED YOU'R OWN T-10!
    FIST,

I'll second that about the OV-10. I got one of those jumps in before they took them out of the inventory. Great jump!! Just wish I had been the number one jumper instead of the second one.

Rigger school is still in Ft Lee and they are the only ones that pack any parachutes these days unless you're a freefall jumper, then you pack your own main.

S/F

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up Funnnnnnnnnnnn-timeeeeeeeeeeee

(LMAO)M/SGT.YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T ENJOY ANYONE STEALING YOU'R AIR,OR RUNNING OFF SOMEONE ELSES CANOPY??? GOD~SPEED MARINE~S/F

Quote Originally Posted by FISTFU68
    (LMAO)M/SGT.YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T ENJOY ANYONE STEALING YOU'R AIR,OR RUNNING OFF SOMEONE ELSES CANOPY??? GOD~SPEED MARINE~S/F
    LOL, I stay away from those Sky Sharks!! Just lamenting the fact that I didn't get to be the number one jumper from an OV-10, rolling down the runway with my legs dangling out the back......kinda like a Huey ride on steroids....LOL

S/F and keep your feet and knees together!!

Thread Information