Changing clearances form secret to top secret
Create Post

Changing clearances form secret to top secret

Hi! We are gathering info on LAT moving into a different MOS. As of now my husband currently has a Secret Clearance. What is the process to upgrading to Top Secret? He pulled up the application (same one he filled out for Secret)will he need to fill all that info out again? I know that for secret it goes back 5 years and I believe top secret goes back 10. Well the last 5 years he has been in the military and the 5 years before that are listed on his old application.
    Everything he is seriously considering LAT moving into will need a top secret clearance so we would rather just start on that process now rather than later if the whole form needs to be filled out again.
    Anyone know how that works?
    *We have been at 2 different duty stations and it will be hard hunting down old neighbors? Will they require that?
    The only thing "negative" on our credit is high credit card usage but never a late payment, charge off or force close anything. Never in collection or anything like that.
    Does every single one require a investigator interview? Or just if there are questions?
    Roughly how long did your "upgrade" take?
    Prior to joining the Marines both my husband and I underwent extensive background checks including inq. made to neighbors, friends and random people, medical history and polygraphs (We both went through the application process for our Sheriffs department back home right before he decided to join) Should I make an attempt to get those background checks to help with this check? I cant remember if we did or not when joining almost 5 years ago.
    I have nothing on my record but my brother is prior Marine Corps and wasn't eligible for re-enlistment cause he can be a hard headed idiot, but they shouldn't hold that association against my husband, right?
    Any info on your experience would be helpful! I know that background checks take a while. Since he knows he wants to attempt to LAT into a MOS that requires more clearance we would like to get a head start if we have start over! Thanks!