In Need of Some Advice
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In Need of Some Advice

Greetings Everyone, To get started my name is Alex. I am about to be a freshman at college in about a month. I am currently interested in the United States Marine Corps as well. My ultimate goal is to become an Officer in the Marine Corps but I'm not quite sure how to get there. I have talked to a recruiter and done a lot of research on the subject. He told me about the 92 day reservist program and how I could go to college and join the Marines at the same time without interference. Then later apply for PLC. Now my question to all of you is should I enlist and take part in the program or just apply to PLC? If I do enlist and participate in the program I would try to go the summer in between my Freshman and Sophmore years of college. Also, my dad is a proud supporter of the military but does not want me to be a part of it. I talked to a recruiter before I told my dad I was interested just to learn more the Corps before I confronted my dad. He was mad that I didn't tell him but he said he would support me through anything except if I was gay or if I got a girl pregnant. After that though he tried to make me feel bad about wanting to go to the Marines instead of college by saying things like "Your mom and I put a lot of hard work in to save money for you to afford college." I will be 18 in five days so I could join without his approval but I would really like to have his support and not have him try to talk me down for doing it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your help.

Similar Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by BprtGoldenEagle View Post
    My ultimate goal is to become an Officer in the Marine Corps but I'm not quite sure how to get there.
    If that is your goal then you should pursue that, with every bit of energy you have.

Going in enlisted and switching to Officer is filled with potholes and speed bumps.

So, if your goal is to be an Officer that is what you should focus on.

As far as your father is concerned - time to man up. I know it's you Dad and you respect him, but you're a man now. Time to act like it and make decisions based on your future.

He may never give approval until he see you in uniform as a changed man.

What do you want?

Thank you for the advice. So you are saying that I should not do the 92 day reserve program then? I've heard that it helps your chances of getting accepted into PLC but then again I've also heard that it has no effect. I am partial to doing it because I would like to earn the title of being a Marine through recruit training but I don't want it to slow me down too much.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    IMHO I would ask your Mom and Dad if your Recruiter could come over the house for a sit down and talk about things.

What do you have to lose by asking ?

Also I think going the 92 day Reserve Program route is the way to go.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted please.

Thank you for the advice, I will have to ask my parents. I will keep you posted.

I would never advise someone who wants to become an officer to enlist. Enlisted commissioning programs exist but the chances to be accepted to one of them are rare. I always recommend attaining a commission the old fashioned way; go to college, complete the PLC during the summer, graduate, get commisioned, go to OCS, TBS, then MOS school (I am not familiar with the 92 day reservist route so can't give any advice about it).

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I concur with everyone else. And I will give you the same advice I give everyone else like you....

If being an officer is your ultimate goal, DO NOT ENLIST. Enlisting is NOT a stepping stone to becoming an officer nor does it make you a better one.

I have been through the PLC process 3 times now, once as a "civilian" college student and I will tell you it is easier to get done that way.

Thank you for the advice sir, it is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    I have been through the PLC process 3 times now, once as a "civilian" college student and I will tell you it is easier to get done that way.
    Why have you had to go through three times? Just curious that's all.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BprtGoldenEagle View Post
    Why have you had to go through three times? Just curious that's all.
    Long story short.....

1st time in 2006 when I was just a normal college student, I couldn't afford school any longer so I quit. This automatically dropped me from the program.

2nd time in 2009 when I enlisted and got home from boot camp, MCT, and MOS school and was going back to school. I got passed up on the selection board. PFT wasn't high enough.

3rd time was just this last fall after I came home from deployment. I would need an age waiver(I am gonna be 29) in order to commission at around the age of 31. Lots of other paperwork would be involved and I didn't want to deal with all of that. I honestly prefer being enlisted now though, especially being an NCO and hopefully eventually a SNCO.

Ah, thank you for the reply.

Eagle my son was 2 years in college when he quit to enlist about 1 year ago.I am a Marine and I said the same thing to him your Dad said to you.Trust me on this.Your Dad will back your play 100% which ever way you go.He is trying to make you stop and think about your future.I am so proud of my son i could shout from the roof tops.No disappointment in The McCraw household.My PFC is my hero and if college is in his future my head may explode.Your Dad Loves you and will respect your decision.You do whats best for you and make the best of your decision.Either way college,enlistment or OCS its a tough road.God Bless the USMC

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thank you mccmuffin, that helps a lot.

Ok so earlier this morning I sat down with my recruiter and also the OSO called while he was over and I got some things straightened out. They both told me that they highly do not recommend the 92-day reservist program because the OSO would not be able to touch me until I finish MOS school which would be late into my college career and I would miss out on a lot of the opportunities. They both recommended that I take a semester off next fall and do the regular reserve program and as soon as I get back I can apply to PLC and credits I earn through recruit training and something called MCI's which I would do for the reserve would make up for the semester I miss. My mom was home and talked to both of them but my dad was not. I am going to talk to him about everything hoping he won't blow up in my face and I plan to have my recruiter and the OSO sit down at some point and talk to us.

Thread Information