Disqualified, can i still enlist?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Disqualified, can i still enlist?

Ok, so while I was trying to enlist I had failed a pre screen drug test at the recruiting office not at MEPs. Sergeant told me I was disqualified but I am wondering if I could join at another recruiting office or can I never become a Marine?

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    To be honest, I don't want you in my Marine Corps. You don't have the self-discipline to not do drugs when you know you are trying to join the military which has zero tolerance.

kick rocks!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I did quit, i even went to saunas and steam rooms and ran a mile everyday to get the stuff out of my system. I smoked every day for years and the only reason I quit was to join the Marines. I didn't have enough time to flush my system thus why I am asking this question.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    To be honest, I don't want you in my Marine Corps. You don't have the self-discipline to not do drugs when you know you are trying to join the military which has zero tolerance.

kick rocks!
    What he said.

Besides not possessing the self-discipline, you obviously are not mature enough at this point to earn our title. You need to reevaluate your priorities in life and seek a different career path other than the military...consider the peace corps. Since you visited a recruiting station, there is a data file for you on record. Any USMC recruiter can access this file and see why you were disqualified. You can try another recruiter later if you want to but expect to be turned down. There are more than enough wannabes today who have negative drug tests; zero reasons for a recruiter to waste their time on someone who pops positive.

Chalk it up as a learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mremb View Post
    I did quit, i even went to saunas and steam rooms and ran a mile everyday to get the stuff out of my system. I smoked every day for years and the only reason I quit was to join the Marines. I didn't have enough time to flush my system thus why I am asking this question.
    You can't just "flush" the stuff out of your system. Only time will get rid of it entirely. Appears you "thought" you had waited long enough when in-fact you had not. Unfortunately, that error is going to cost you now.

Look at the bright side. Now, you can go back to your old lifestyle and light one up as often as you want to and not have to worry about it. Nobody crimping your style. Sweet!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Look at the bright side. Now, you can go back to your old lifestyle and light one up as often as you want to and not have to worry about it. Nobody crimping your style. Sweet!
    I really didn't want to laugh at this but........I seriously laughed out loud. Good work MSgt.!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    To answer your question NO !!!

To add commentary, we don't want or need Liars or Dopers in our Marine Corps.

Have a Good Trip...

It 4-6 weeks to get the stuff out of your system all this sweating isn't going to do squat for you. Why do people smoke pot, I never smoked pot because not because I wanted to and joined the Navy It isd because my parents said they would beat my ask if I did. What is so great about smoking marajana, I got high doing exercises. Good luck in your endevers Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

Waivers exist for a reason, I have personally known plenty of outstanding Marines who smoked weed before they came in the Corps. The fact of the matter is young people make mistakes and not everyone has been dedicated to becoming a Marine from day one. You need to wait a while for everything to clear out of your system (that means no more doing it as well) then go have a frank conversation with your recruiter or another recruiter if you prefer. The hard truth is you will need to be completely honest about your past drug use, if it is of the type and amount that is waivable and the recruiter is on your side then there is still hope. Also realize there is a very real possiblility you will be denied enlistment. This does not mean all doors are closed for life, there are plenty of other avenues to pursue to turn your life around for the better. FWIW, I would not recommend just giving up and "go back to your old lifestyle and light one up as often as you want to and not have to worry about it." Merchant Marines, another branch of service, college or tech school are all very realistic options if you are denied enlistment. Find me a Marine who has never made a mistake and I'll show you a Marine who is lying to you.

Gunny -- I'm sure some of the comments posted are more commentaries than advice. While your statement is "kinder and gentler" -- perhaps a more rationale way of describing one's errors of judgment, the fact is with all service branches downsizing, the Marine Corps can choose the better recruit candidate than take a chance on someone with a questionable behavior. With respect to poster, mremb, his desire to join the Corps was, I'm sure, purely "flights of fancy."

S/F

Nothing kinder and gentler about it fl1946 just statements of fact. I won't pretend to know what mremb's desires are/were I can only hope to help the individual out. I came in at a leaner time in the Marine Corps and saw plenty of people come through post 9/11 who would have been turned away prior to the increase. Many of these turned out to be some of the best Marines I have ever encountered. My overall point was and is, just because someone has made some mistakes it doesn't mean they cannot change thier course and become a productive member of society. My personal opinion on weed (and no I have never touched the stuff) is it is not the mark of a bad person or bad intentions. If every servicemember who smoked some wacky tobaccy back in your time were denied service/kicked out I'm sure it would have been a much smaller and less efficent Marine Corps. Not to say I think mremb should be shipped out and sent to MCRD today/if ever, but it's good for him to know what options are available if it is really something he wants or if it doesn't pan out for him.

S/F

I agree with the Gunny,,, plenty of people headed to bootcamp without the greatest history. Many of those turned out to be **** hot Marines.

You need to decide what you want.

Second chances are slim in today's Corps.

Don't waste it if you get it.

All good points. I recently got to see how hard USMC recruiters work through my niece's enlistment experience. Don't see why a recruiter would spend any time working a drug waiver unless they didn't have a choice. Just my observation/opinion. Could be totally wrong.

Thread Information