Groundbreaking Legion Study Charts Course of PTSD
Create Post

Cool Groundbreaking Legion Study Charts Course of PTSD

Groundbreaking Legion Study Charts Course of PTSD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 10, 2003

Article Courtesy The American Legion

WASHINGTON -- Groundbreaking research has set the stage for improvements in the treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder. According to a follow-up study of Vietnam combat veterans in the 2.8 million-member American Legion, persistent PTSD in Vietnam War veterans is long-lasting, and its persistence is influenced by three common risk factors: high combat exposure, a perceived negative community attitude about their service in the war, and depression and anger following their wartime experience.

The study, "Risk Factors for Course of PTSD Among Vietnam Veterans," is the nation's first long-term examination of risk factors related to PTSD in a large sample of Vietnam veterans. The study examines circumstances that contribute to the persistence of PTSD. The research is a foundation for in-depth clinical studies of PTSD as well as programs to improve PTSD recognition and treatment. Researchers Dr. Karestan C. Koenen of the Department of Veterans Affairs' Boston Health Care System and Boston Medical Center; Drs. Jeanne Mager Stellman and Steven Stellman of Columbia University; and American Legion Executive Director John F. Sommer Jr. coauthored a summary of their findings for the December issue of the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology.

"This is a groundbreaking study," American Legion National Commander John Brieden said. "As a result of our original 1984 American Legion-Columbia Study and the 1998 follow-up study, researchers have verified a high rate of PTSD in Vietnam veterans. The science also validates the risk factors that sustain PTSD. Our research will help the government and other health care providers to better understand PTSD. Improvements in PTSD early-diagnosis, prevention and treatment should improve the prospects of recovery for veterans from all of our nation's wars, including the ongoing war on terror."

Researchers studied the health of a random sample of 1,377 Vietnam combat veterans who participated in both the 1984 and 1998 surveys. The strongest predictor that a veteran would suffer from PTSD in 1998 was the presence of PTSD in 1984. Veterans with PTSD in 1984 were four times more likely to have PTSD in 1998 than were those who reported no PTSD symptoms in the original study. Researchers also showed a link between PTSD and a veteran's discomfort discussing combat experiences. Further, they learned that community involvement is associated with the remission of PTSD.

"Researchers found high rates of persistent PTSD in Legionnaires who fought in Vietnam - veterans who, because they are active in their communities, are least likely to suffer from chronic or lifelong PTSD," Brieden points out. "That is an important reason for the government to fund an even larger study - one that relies on clinical evaluations in addition to questionnaires. Science must shed more light on the health and treatment of PTSD sufferers who lack social support."

© 2003, The American Legion.

http://www.legion.org/

Sempers,

Roger

Getting disability for PSTD I found out was easy to get for me.
    From start till I received my first check was 4 months. The requirements are I had to be a combat vet, and am still having problem sleeping and I recall getting my knife wet a few times, just need the dates and operation. If anyone has problems getting it let me know I will try to help you out.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1st marine division.jpg‎
Views:	133
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	2768  

Thread Information