Am I Disqualified?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Am I Disqualified?

First off, hello to everyone and thank you all for your service.

I am 22 years old, and am currently a senior in college pursuing a B.A. in criminal justice. I have two medical related questions about joining the Marine Corps.

My first question is about my hand. Last year I had an accident at work that resulted in me losing the tip of my left index finger. A year later everything's healed fine, and for the most part, I have no problems with anything. That being said I am left handed.

My second question is does having Asperger's Syndrome disqualify or hurt my chances of ever joining the Marine Corps? I was diagnosed when I was 16-17 years old but haven't been receiving any sort of treatment for several months.

I apologize in advance if my profile isn't filled out completely, and I appreciate any and all feedback.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    The finger thing probably isn't an issue but the Aspergers thing probably is, especially considering you were diagnosed with it so recently.

And if I can be completely honest here, after reading up on what Aspergers is, I wouldn't want someone in my Corps that has this and the issues that come with it.

You need to speak with a recruiter though to get a solid answer on this.

Since you are left handed, I take it this is your trigger finger that has been shortened? Marksmanship is a "BIG" deal in the USMC and affects your ability to get promoted (the better you shoot the better your promotion prospects). The finger is a factor if it deminishes your ability to control a trigger properly as taught according to USMC marksmanship standards.

When are you going to talk to a recruiter?

Credits
    Savings
    Yes and no. I am left handed but also right eye dominant. With both of my hamdguns I shoot left handed and I consider myself to be a decent marksman with them, particularly my Glock. However when using long guns I switch to using my right hand. It just feels more natural for me to handle a long gun with my right hand. I own several firearms and don't have a lot of issues with shooting. The problem I have though, is that I have issues with the trigger on a long gun that doesn't have a pistol grip if I'm using my left hand. On some double action handguns I also have that problem, but not as much.

That being said, I don't have a lot of problems handling or shooting my AR-15 with my left hand. I did briefly talk to a recruiter when I was graduating HS over the phone. When I asked him about Aspergers, he didn't know what it was. I probably will go see one now to see what my options are though.

Quote Originally Posted by PKendall317 View Post
    I am left handed but also right eye dominant. With both of my hamdguns I shoot left handed and I consider myself to be a decent marksman with them, particularly my Glock. However when using long guns I switch to using my right hand. It just feels more natural for me to handle a long gun with my right hand.
    Man, you are a PMI's nightmare.

First question - If you are fine then I doubt it will be a problem. Only time I have ever used the tip of my bang finger is with a match .45 - normal bang finger placement is near the first joint, or just past the first joint.

Question number two - I think that might be a problem. Seek out a USMC recruiter for the straightest scoop.

IMO...
    The Aspergers issue is a serious one which would not at all be compatible with needs/behaviors necessary for military service.
    I would not be comfortable serving with someone having this condition especially in any combat situation for obvious reasons.

That's my take on it....carry on.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Man, you are a PMI's nightmare.

First question - If you are fine then I doubt it will be a problem. Only time I have ever used the tip of my bang finger is with a match .45 - normal bang finger placement is near the first joint, or just past the first joint.

Question number two - I think that might be a problem. Seek out a USMC recruiter for the straightest scoop.
    Forgive me for not being familiar with tbe acronym, but what's a PMI?

Quote Originally Posted by PKendall317 View Post
    Forgive me for not being familiar with tbe acronym, but what's a PMI?
    All it takes is a quick google search for Marine Corps PMI.......
    Primary Marksman Instructor

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you. You know, I was surprised that at least in the civilian world, people who shoot left handed with a handgun but right with a long gun wasn't as uncommon as I'd thought. But then I don't know how that affects military service.

Now, how important is it to have all ten fingers?

Credits
    Savings
    Now if and when I do see a recruiter, what, should I expect? Do I need to bring anything such as HS and/or college transcripts for example?

Young man, you are asking questions that most of the Marines here can't answer. We can only give you advice, which I strongly suggest you take.
    The first step would be to go to your local Marine Corps recruiting office and talk with them first before you get your hopes up. He/She will be able to give you the most up-to-date and accurate info on your condition with your fingers, which will require a medical waiver....and none of the Marines here would know if that would get approved or not......and your Asperger's Syndrom.

Credits
    Savings
    I appreciate all the information you've given me. I'll contact a recruiter and see what happens.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You are 22 years old and have been a member of this forum for almost 5 years and your first post was yesterday ???

What happened with enlisting when you graduated from high school ?
    You should have spoken to a Recruiter then...

Best of luck...

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    You are 22 years old and have been a member of this forum for almost 5 years and your first post was yesterday ???

What happened with enlisting when you graduated from high school ?
    You should have spoken to a Recruiter then...

Best of luck...
    I actually did back in HS. I didn't follow through with it because 1) I got a good scholarship to college and 2) to be honest with you, I was scared.

Now I did contact a recruiter today and the big issues he had with me were that I was 60lbs overweight, and that I would have to wait until October when I had been off of ADHD meds for a full 12 months. He didn't seem very concerned with my finger. Now he did tell me I was welcome to show up at their weekly PT Meetings, and also referred me to the OSO in Bloomington, Indiana because I have a college education.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Ok, so we have the finger issue, Aspergers Syndrom which you said you have not been treating for several months, 60 pounds overweight, ADHD.

You have your work cut out for you for sure.

Thread Information