Marrying another Marine
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Marrying another Marine

This is probably going to sound like a really dumb idea to some of you, but to each your own. My fiance and I are both Marines, same rank, same MOS, and you got it...working in the same shop.
    We're planning on getting married soon through the courthouse. I've known him for 2 years, we've been dating for a little over 1, made it through our deployments, etc. People we work with know we're dating and only a few know of the engagement. My supervisor, a Cpl, is all for it and no one has ever had a problem with us being together. We've never had a problem keeping personal life separate from professional life.

Anyway, my point of this post is to ask if anyone knows the rules on this situation. Are we going to get separated from our command? Could/would one of us just get TAD orders? (It's very easy to get FAP'd out to the squadrons) And does anyone know an MCO that relates to this in any way because I'm having one hell of a time with google.

I would appreciate any/all the info!

V/R

Similar Threads:

Your Company First Sgt should know the answers to your questions.

Not sure how the wing works and what your CO's mindset is... There have been occasions where, if the battalion is big enough, they will just move one of you to a different section (I.e. they moved my buddy to a different IPAC when he and his wife first got married, but still within the same battalion). Or, if there are multiple wing units within the same base, which Miramar has, they will PCA him or you to one of those other units.

You will not be working in the same section after getting married though. It is a conflict of interest even if you THINK you can keep it professional.

Not sure what MCO will have anything in regarding the situation

My wife and I are dual active admin Sgts so if you have any question regarding something feel free to PM me.

Check with your Company 1stSgt. He/she will know all of the relevant information about this topic.

Unfortunately you can be separated from each other if they wanted to be pricks about it. It use to be illegal for Marines to marry cause of the ucmj code it was considered Sodomy and there for wasn't aloud . But there are Men and Women who do marry and are in the same branch of service and it works out fine for them.
    I would check with the First shirt he should be able to help you..
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by cAs View Post
    Not sure how the wing works and what your CO's mindset is... There have been occasions where, if the battalion is big enough, they will just move one of you to a different section (I.e. they moved my buddy to a different IPAC when he and his wife first got married, but still within the same battalion). Or, if there are multiple wing units within the same base, which Miramar has, they will PCA him or you to one of those other units.

You will not be working in the same section after getting married though. It is a conflict of interest even if you THINK you can keep it professional.

Not sure what MCO will have anything in regarding the situation

My wife and I are dual active admin Sgts so if you have any question regarding something feel free to PM me.
    Surprised an IPAC Sgt doesn't know the applicable MCO (especially one married to another Marine; seems they would be very familiar with it...should be anyway). I was about to recommend going to your IPAC so they could find the MCO for you but now I'm not too sure. Believe talking to your Squadron 1stSgt should get you going in the right direction anyway. Come back and update your post as it may help someone else in the future (especially with the MCO). Good luck.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm just anxious and want to know everything before we tie the knot. I'll be sure to ask my SSgt about it once we're back from leave and he'll point us in the right direction. I just hope it's not too crazy since we literally just got a new CO and SgtMaj. I'll definitely post again once I get the results. Thanks again

I'd wait to get married ... at least until after the first separation, i.e. deployment, overseas tour, etc.

Well that's what we did wait for, we've both already been on deployment while dating and made it through alright.

Quote Originally Posted by noviatt View Post
    Well that's what we did wait for, we've both already been on deployment while dating and made it through alright.
    Were you deployed together though? I'm suggesting a year long separation that comes with overseas deployments like all of us married Marines have had to endure. I realize you want to be together as much as possible, but that just isn't possible while one or both are serving.

I take it you are both 0111's? That would make it easier since there are 0111's at virtually every Marine unit. I was an 0193.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Best of luck Noelle.
    You and your Fiance should be good to go.

Much Health and Happiness to you both.

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

I first want to say congratulations. I married my wife in 1973 Shen she was a Lance Corporal and I was a Corporal. Our Colonel gave the bride away as her parents could not attend. 40 years later we are still together!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Congratulations that's a long time ........I too married a Lance Corporal i also was a Corporal we've been married 32 years about to be Grandparents finally!

There is no MCO or directive on the subject you are talking about. If there was, it will be in the SSIC 1000 or 5000 series which it is not. There is also no SECNAV, MARADMIN or DOD directive on this either so it is completely up to your command.What will happen is your SNCOs will talk with you company 1stSgt and Company CO. They will in turn talk to the LtCol and SgtMaj and decide what is the best course of action. They might let you guys keep working together or they might just FAP you out to a different section in the company or squadron. i.e. One of you might get a billet as the company clerk. If they do decide to keep you two in the same section and it does become a problem, they will FAP you out.

Just realized I never wrote back on this. So everything turned out fine. We've been married a little over a year now. I ended up PCA'ing to another unit on the same base.(wing life, woohoo) I guess I was just nervous, but I've helped plenty of other Marines out by answering their questions with my experience. I hope this helps any others out there.

Oh and also no we're not admin, and we went on separate deployments...

Thread Information