8th and I - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8th and I

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BGW View Post
    So he was looking on google maps and saw some Marines on the side of the road? And wanted to know the rules about wearing cammies off base? Were they really on public roads? Perhaps they were just police calling? Who knows.

Your all being waaay to nice to him, not that many places in the Marine Corps are this forgiving. But who knows about 8th and I, I never heard of it before so maybe things are different?
    You've never heard of 8th and I before??

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by BGW View Post

You are all being waaay to nice to him,
    not that many places in the Marine Corps
    are this forgiving.

But who knows about 8th and I,
    I never heard of it before ,
    so maybe things are different?
    Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post

You've never heard of 8th and I before??
    Young Corporal Joe...
    MeThinks you jumped the gun,
    questioning the LanceCorporals statement.

I'd be more inclined to think the lancecool was
    speaking of wearing cammies between locations
    (Deemed to be PUBLIC Areas ) and the policy
    allowing the same.

Maybe we both should take another "READING COMPREHENSION CLASS " ????

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post
    Young Corporal Joe...
    MeThinks you jumped the gun,
    questioning the LanceCorporals statement.

I'd be more inclined to think the lancecool was
    speaking of wearing cammies between locations
    (Deemed to be PUBLIC Areas ) and the policy
    allowing the same.

Maybe we both should take another "READING COMPREHENSION CLASS " ????
    hahaha......me needz a ejukashon

Credits
    Savings
    HEY...
    I'm as quick as anyone else on here to "JUMP THE GUN"
    responding to articles......

TOO SOON OLD-
    too late smart.

Credits
    Savings
    Back in the day ( mid 80's ) grounds maintenance was allowed to work outside the walls. You were also allowed to go from Post 1 ( main gate ) around the corner and acrossed the street to get to the beq's , chow hall, e club, etc. On occasion we would sneek across the street to an awesome sandwich shop and get a sandwich, but you had to be quick. Awesome duty station, enjoy.

Sorry for the very late reply gents,

So as everyone knows the entire DC area is filled with government buildings and offices. 8th & I is 2 blocks away from the Washington Navy Yard. I constantly saw Marines and Sailors walking back and forth between those two bases and yes they are allowed to walk back and forth with loaded weapons in any uniform of the day. I personally stayed at bollin air force base in the suburbs of DC about 7 miles away. I highly recommend the hotel there but security sucks. It is supposed to be a medium security base and yet I was able to walk right on base in front of the sentry gate guard without being stopped. This was also at 2 AM and I am sure the guard was sleeping (thats air force for you). There is a subway that goes from the AFB to the navy yard and 8th & I and continues to the Pentagon. There is also a shuttle that leaves 3 times a day to the Pentagon. The Navy yard is a beautiful old base, most of the buildings are original and over 80 years old built in gothic style. I was able to use my government travel credit card to purchase subway tickets. The DC police where very helpful as well, one of them was prior military and actually gave me a ride back to the AFB. My business at the navy yard only took 2 hours and I was there for 2.5 days so the entire tuesday I had time to go around the city and check out all the points of interest. I highly recommend DC for anyone wanting to go there by the way. The last day I took the shuttle to the Pentagon before going to Reagan airport. The Pentagon is very fast paced with a large crowd of military in uniform and civilians constantly entering and exiting. I also noticed while riding the subway in DC it is perfectly normal to see military personnel in uniform commuting. And also apparently even as a lower enlisted Marine you can be stationed at the Pentagon. It is extremely rare but it happens. The USO at Reason was really great as well. After that trip, I am extremely jealous of anyone who is stationed in DC. It is very professional there in the military community as well.

So, you didn't actually go TAD to Marine Barracks 8th & I as stated in your original post? Didn't you at least stop by there since you were only 2 blocks away (you may never make it there again)?

No, I was officially TAD to Bollin Air Force Base and the Navy Yard. They originally told me 8th & I but that was a misunderstanding I think they were just pointing me in the general area before I left. I got some pictures in front of the main entrance but did not go in. But just from walking outside the post, it looked really nice. I did have to admit though the Navy Yard looked nicer than 8th & I (maybe because it is an even older post?)

Thread Information