Intro and question
Create Post

Intro and question

Hello all from South Florida. First a little about my years in the Corps.. I enlisted 4 months after I turned 17 back in 1972. Ended up in the Air Wing with a MOS of 3072, which is an Aviation Supply Man.. served state side on the west coast, El Toro and LTA, with one tour overseas, Iwakuni Japan. Got out in '75, but within a few months, I re-enlisted for 2 more years and was stationed on the east coast at New River, N.C... My wife got pregnant toward the end of my enlistment and I was allowed to extend for 6 months. Got out in '78 and have never had any regret of my Marine Corps years. Actually I am happy to have been a Marine, but never wear it on my shoulder, although I am proud to mentioned my service when the opportunity comes up. I almost enlisted in the Navy, but fate dealt me a better hand.. that is another story. Here is my question.. while stationed in Japan in '73 with VMCJ-1 our squadron went on a deployment in the Philippines. We were eventually awarded a MUC a couple years after ('75).. this was around the time that I got out and went back in. I received knowledge of this when I ran into a fellow Marine at New River, who was also in VMCJ-1.. I never investigated this at the time. Now years later, I am recovering at home from a knee injury and took the time to research info about the MUC. I found the LETTER from the Secretary of the Navy with the dates that awarded it to VMCJ-1. I want to add this ribbon to the other 2 on my winter blouse (National Defense, Good Conduct).. What do I need to do to for this to be legitimate? Any info you can give me would be appreciated. Semper-Fi !

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rocky C; 06-14-13 at 09:54 AM.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Just wear it, if you know you rate it. No one at this point is going to question it especially considering it's a unit award not a personal. I understand you wanting it to be legitimate but the process it'll take you to get it entered on your DD-214 just isn't worth it.

Please spell Marine Corps correctly. Embarrassing. Sounds like Gomer Pyle.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    Just wear it, if you know you rate it. No one at this point is going to question it especially considering it's a unit award not a personal. I understand you wanting it to be legitimate but the process it'll take you to get it entered on your DD-214 just isn't worth it.
    Thanks for the input.. After thinking about it, maybe I should just let things stay as they are. Displaying the MUC is not that important.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Please spell Marine Corps correctly. Embarrassing. Sounds like Gomer Pyle.

Thanks.. I appreciate your correction, but not your rudeness. I’m sure it won’t be the last mistake I will make in this world.

I was not rude; I said please. Believe me, if I wanted to be rude I would've been rude. To be candid; what I was was pi$$ed off (like I am every time a Marine on this board does not care enough to make sure they capitalize the word Marine or know how to spell Marine Corps properly).

If you did it once I could've chalked that one up as a mistake and let it fly. But, you did it twice so that is no mistake and that's why I called you on it. I can understand a wannabe who does not know any better (and we correct them too) but a NCO like yourself has no excuses. There is a spellchecker available here but I wouldn't expect a Marine NCO to need it when spelling Marine Corps. Sorry I hurt your feelings but if you're going to continue posting on this forum be advised correct spelling, proper punctuation, grammer, and sentence syntax are required (if you don't believe me ask a moderator).

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    I was not rude; I said please. Believe me, if I wanted to be rude I would've been rude. To be candid; what I was was pi$$ed off (like I am every time a Marine on this board does not care enough to make sure they capitalize the word Marine or know how to spell Marine Corps properly).

If you did it once I could've chalked that one up as a mistake and let it fly. But, you did it twice so that is no mistake and that's why I called you on it. I can understand a wannabe who does not know any better (and we correct them too) but a NCO like yourself has no excuses. There is a spellchecker available here but I wouldn't expect a Marine NCO to need it when spelling Marine Corps. Sorry I hurt your feelings but if you're going to continue posting on this forum be advised correct spelling, proper punctuation, grammer, and sentence syntax are required (if you don't believe me ask a moderator).
    Well, your spell checker must be broke too.. ironically you spelled "grammer" wrong.. not as critical as my mistake, but if your are going to criticize someone make sure your ducks are all in a row..

I will forgive you though.

On a positive note.. I will never spell Marine Corps wrong again.. you can count on it !

Got me. Didn't use the spell checker. My bad. Thank you.

No, thank you for being a good sport and putting up with a cocky newbie

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Fill out your profile Newbie and what's with all the personnal background in your profile under Military Biography that you copied and pasted from this thread ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    Fill out your profile Newbie and what's with all the personnal background in your profile under Military Biography that you copied and pasted from this thread ?
    Why wouldn't I? Should I have just typed the same thing twice?

ChuckB, pay no attention to Rocky C.......he is a long gone Phony Hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    ChuckB, pay no attention to Rocky C.......he is a long gone Phony Hero!

Thank You!

I just re-found this forum again after being away for a while.

I resolved my MUC issue by finding the authorization letter for the award signed my the Secretary of the Navy and stapled it to my DD214 as suggested by an administrator from the VA. I added the ribbon to my 3 sizes too small winter green blouse!

Click image for larger version

Name:	CaptureVMCJ1.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	32672

Only 3 sizes to small????

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Only 3 sizes to small????
    Actually it's worse than that.. from a 38 to a 44! Man, was I a skinny Marine!

Weren't we all.......

Thread Information