Travel to South America, effect on TS Clearance...
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Travel to South America, effect on TS Clearance...

Hello Marines,

Well, to sum it all up, a friend and I are planning on traveling through South America this summer, but I just wanted to make sure that I wont be disqualified for a TS clearance. We'll be going through Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia, and as far as I know, these countries shouldn't be an issue. My only concern is Colombia. Just a few years ago the country was untravelable due to the ongoing drug conflict. Things have settled down there, but I'm concerned that my spending a few weeks there might be misinterpreted by the background investigators. So I have two questions:

- Will travel to Colombia disqualify me for a TS clearance (Cryptologic Linguist/ Intelligence)

- Are there any steps I should take to provide proof that I wasn't doing anything questionable down there? (i.e getting contact information from people I meet along the way)

I don't think it should be an issue, and my recruiter never showed any concern, but I was hoping I could hear from a Marine who has experience with the background check. Thank you in advance.

Similar Threads:

I don't see it adversely affecting your clearance. We, as Americans, are free to travel as long as it's not to communist block countries, war zones, or regions where the State Department has travel restrictions. There will be a place on your background check application to list all the countries you visited. Keep a detailed travel itinerary so you can give specific/accurate dates of entry/exit (your passport will contain this info as well). Understand, this will most likely slow down the adjudication of your final TS clearance as it gives the investigators more things they must research. There is nothing you can provide to prove you were not doing anything questionable.

You should go to www.travel.state.gov to get country-specific information and travel alerts/warnings. You should also enroll in the STEP program (helps the embassy/consulate nearest you notify you in case of an emergency). Go to www.travel.state.gov/step.

I traveled extensively throughout Latin America while on embassy duty. Just remember, you are a guest in THEIR country, you are representing America, use common sense (if something doesn't feel right it's not), and always use the buddy system. Never carry more cash than you need for that day. Always secure your gear (never let it leave your possession). Remember, many of the police departments are corrupt. The most common tactic is to plant some drugs on you and haul you into jail for a couple nights (so you can think about your plight). They will give you the choice; wire for some money from home, or go before the judge and look at some serious prison time for international drug trafficking. They have the evidence against you. It will cost you a few thousand dollars but the choice is simple to make. I saw it happen to too many Americans travelling abroad unfortunately (we are easy targets).

If you are in the capital cities, near the US embassy, and have the time, consider trying to make contact with the embassy Marines there (just call the embassy and ask to talk to the detachment commander). If the training schedule and threat situation allows it, there may be an opportunity to meet with some of the off-duty Marine Security Guards. You could have the chance to experience a side of the USMC most never see.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you, sir, I really appreciate your response. I've actually read about drugs being planted on travelers before, so I am most definately take precautions. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley67f View Post
    Hello Marines,

.....a friend and I are planning on traveling through South America this summer, but I just wanted to make sure that I wont be disqualified for a TS clearance. We'll be going through Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia, So I have two questions:

- Will travel to Colombia disqualify me for a TS clearance (Cryptologic Linguist/ Intelligence)

- Are there any steps I should take to provide proof that I wasn't doing anything questionable down there? (i.e getting contact information from people I meet along the way)
    Riley67f:
    Your travel thru SA will not disqualify you. This assumes you have NO issues during your travel thru SA.

As suggested keeping a complete log, etc would be beneficial, as well as visiting the various Embassies.

BUT.....My suggestion is to NOT go to those countries at this time. You're just 19, and have recently started your process on becoming a Marine (after a two-year process, based on your posts).

I have travelled TO and THRU many SA countries over the past 40 years. It IS NOT a rational trip to take at this point in your life. THERE IS JUST TOO MUCH that can go wrong.

I'd suggest you forego making your trip to SA; Rather wait until your career in the Marines is completed and you have a lot more experience. You may feel you have all the bases covered, but I assure you, you will not believe the **** that can happen while travelling THRU those SA countries.; which WILL definitely screw up your enlistment plans.

There are A LOT of nicer places to visit in the world (at this juncture in your life).

Seriously, PLAY IT SAFE, go somewhere else.

On many of trips that I made over the years (to SA), we got into some really interesting (risky) situations, but due to our experience and obvious assets, we did not suffer for it.

IF you DO GO, just remember it only takes ONE, "OH ****, what just happened?", to screw up your whole "plan". Example: Getting into an accident/fight, etc.

I agree the timing is not the best and there is risk involved (as with anything). I would give it a second thought. That trip would have to be EXTREMELY important for me to risk my enlistment/future on. It would be a different situation if you were just the average tourist or travelling to somewhere like Australia. If you still insist on going, security must remain your #1 priority.

it wont have a huge effect on it, but will lengthen the investigation.

Thread Information