8th and I
Create Post

Thread: 8th and I

8th and I

I graduate from SOI on June 20th and then Im going to be a ceremonial marcher. My duty station is going to be in DC at 8th and I. Im just wanting to know anything about the job and how the barracks are. Any info would help.

Credits
    Savings
    CONGRADULATIONS on your selection !
    You are on a 30 day trial ?

The "job" is a dream !
    (after training )
    Here's your list of parades etc be there and be professional.
    Outside that -- go somewhere and enjoy.

Mess hall is exceptional.

Barracks are old school squad bay subject to CSM inspection daily. (just keep your area squared away.)

I had a part time civillian job while I was there ----

This intel is from the 60 s ---- may be a few changes.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Wow, Outstanding Marine !!! That is an Honor.

Despite what the other Marine posted, being a Ceremonial Marcher can be challening to your Heart and Mind at times.
    Keep your wits about you.

Best of luck to you.

Here is some info that you asked for.

BRAVO COMPANY CEREMONIAL MARCHERS.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd Platoons are provisional infantry platoons that are responsible for executing a wide variety of ceremonies in the National Capitol Region.

Each marcher is hand selected while attending the School of Infantry (SOI).

Each Marine is screened and selected primarily on their military appearance, height, and their ability to meet certain background criteria.

After the completion of SOI, they report directly to the Marine Barracks where they will generally serve for two years and then rotate to the Operating Forces.

The highest caliber Ceremonial Marchers are selected to perform on firing parties that render honors to the fallen Marines at their funerals.

Also, some marchers are chosen to be a part of the Dover Dignified Transfer Teams that transfer the caskets of every Marine killed in action overseas.

Bravo Company Marines are all infantryman, therefore they must maintain proficiency in their infantry skills while stationed at the Marine Barracks.

The company conducts field training and live-fire exercises throughout the year so that each Marine is well prepared to join the Operating Forces and fight the Global War on Terror.

Congratulations Marine. A word of caution though. My experience with 8th & I and drill team Marines hasn't always been good. There's been more than one of them that earn promotion and then get orders "back" to the infantry after three years or more with no infantry training and they end being a Cpl. or Sgt. who can't fight their way out of a wet paper bag or lead an infantry squad let alone call for fire or organize any kind of tactics. That duty can be real feather in your cap for a career but don't be that Marine. Good luck!

Been to 8th & I for a summer parade. Awesome and very inspiring! Performances are flawless so obviously TONS of practice. Always seems like a passenger jet flys over about the time the commander shouts a verbal command but somehow, everyone hears it and executes it on time. Lots of time standing at parade rest/attention in the sun wearing dress blues and you obviously can't swat a bug away or wipe away the sweat.

If you go to grunt.com, they have DVD's on 8th & I and the silent drill platoon.

Good luck.

I was stationed at 8th and I while I waited for my clearance to go through for the yankee white program. I lived there for 11 months. my job was guard duty which you will see alot of as you enter in and out of the barrack.

Your job has awesome benefits but the one thing no one else knows on this thread or has not mentioned is that if its anything like it was in 2004 , they pride themselves on perfection so you will be getting two hair cuts a week. You will learn how to build a proper cover and your whole uniform will be immaculate. A benefit is that you get two free pairs of dress blues with built in armpit nylon stuff so that you can move and flip that rifle around. also you will attend football games and travel around the country performing for stadiums and sporting events.

Last edited by Rocky C; 06-11-13 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Edited, on an Open Forum...

I know it is in one of the sketchiest neighborhoods in VA drove by there on the way to a DC United game.

It's actually in DC (as the OP indicated) not VA. The Commandant's house is one of only a few the British did not burn down. The Navy Yard is only a short distance away (naval museum). There are parking shuttles between there and the barracks for the Friday night evening parades (you cannot park on the streets surrounding the barracks).

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    congrats on being a 4yr boot!

Thank you Marines for all the information!

Thread Information