Best duty stations?
Create Post

Best duty stations?

Hello Marines, I'm new here. My name is Gabriel. I've been reading these forums for a while but I never made an account till now. I've been wanting to join the Marines since I was in high school, I'm now 24. A lot of things happened since then, but joining the Marines never left my mind. I think it's time for me to finally take that step, and I hope one day I can tell you guys ( Marines ) that I earned the title.

As a Marine, what was your favorite duty station/s, and why? During a 4 year enlistment, how often will a Marine travel to different places? I think traveling is one of the cool things about joining the Military, so I'm just curious to see how it is in the Marine Corps. I'm guessing it depends on the MOS. The MOS's I'm interested in are Infantry, Avionics, Ordnanace, and Engineer. I would be happy if my recruiter told me I was in either one of these fields.

Thank you all for your service.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rocky C; 06-09-13 at 01:28 PM. Reason: There are Male and Female Marines on this forum...

Well....here's a bump and I'm going to be honest with you based on your statements.

You're 24 and stating:
    "I've been wanting to join the Marines since I was in high school".
    I'm sensing only procrastination on your part so I'm hardly convinced you're at all that serious.

IMO....it's not going to get easier for you to join and earn the EGA as times goes on.
    Joining the USMC is serious business and not for the faint of heart.

"Favorite duty stations" may be all over the map by those that chime in.
    The odds of you getting any of these favorites is unlikely anyway as you can't expect you'll be able choose a duty station.

I'd suggest that if you're serious, as a 24 year old adult with the courage to do so, see a recruiter as he'll help you find out if your MOS interests are in line with your abilities and go from there.

Make your decision, stay out of trouble, don't get anyone pregnant, don't get married, don't get any tattoos.

That's my blunt take on it.........good luck.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    True words Wayne and I also have to add after reading that post the first question after the OP joining the Forum at 1:02 am on a Sunday Morning is " What was your favorite Duty Station and why ? and the statement " I think traveling is one of the cool things about joining the Military "

To be Honest and we are, I would think along the lines of becoming a Flight Attendant.

There was nothing in your post that sounded sincere about becoming a " United States Marine "

Best of luck to you...

Hey RockyC...

I sincerely wish everyone well with their decision making.
    But shvtfire....this decision is not about signing up to go on a cruise ship.
    Plus, I'm not sure the USMC is touted for it's 'traveling' choices or ports of call itineraries.

It's about genuine desire be a Marine without any preconceptions.
    We are the 1%ers of the 1% that actually are willing to offer the blank check and serve....end of story.
    USMC is the only choice in all my subjectivity.

This one may require a Sparrowhawk response.

...love the 'flight attendant' analogy.

Carry on....

Well I can see why you guys (Marines - the Marines here have EARNED the title) would think that. But honestly, all my serious questions have already been answered. I've been reading these forums for a while, and I have already spoken with a recruiter. I took the ASVAB practice test and got a 35, but he told me I need a 50 or higher since I have a GED. I thought I would need to get 15 college credits, but he told me as long as I score a 50 or higher, I'm good. I've been studying my butt off all this week, and all the math stuff came back to me. I have no doubt that I will pass the real test.

I honestly just wanted to introduce myself, so I just came up with these questions. The main reason I want to join the Marines is simple, I want to be a Marine. I want to earn the title and be a part of the brotherhood. I haven't really accomplished anything in life. Nothing I can be proud of. I didn't graduate high school, and all I've been doing is working in some crappy jobs. I want to do something I can be proud of, and I don't think there's anything more honorable than serving your country in the proudest branch of our Military. I take the ASVAB next week.

Thank you guys (Marines) for taking the time to to reply, I know these don't seem like very serious questions, but more like fun questions. I am dead serious about joining the Marines, believe me. It's been my dream for a long time.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 06-09-13 at 04:45 PM.

Sorry about that Marines, you aren't just any guys. I apologize for the lack of respect on that aspect.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodWannaB View Post
    Well I can see why you guys (Marines - the Marines here have EARNED the title) would think that.

I honestly just wanted to introduce myself, so I just came up with these questions.

Thank you guys (Marines) I know these don't seem like very serious questions, but more like fun questions.
    Finally the truth comes out.

You should have just introduced yourself to the Leatherneck Community.

We would have said hello and welcomed you, guided you, answered all of your "Real" questions, etc, etc.

Instead you make up crap and waste Marines time by lying...

I am saddened by this news and at a loss for words...

Best of luck to you and others may guide you on your journey.

Rocky out....

Exactly the kind of person the Marine Corps DOESN'T want, a Beetle Bailey of the worse kind. Must be from the "Me" generation. Excellent job ID-ing this poster. Rocky -- sic 'em.

Before you get hung up on a duty station why dont you try earning the title passing MCT/SOI your MOS school then you can worry about a duty station.

Let us know after you pass the ASVAB.

It costs the USMC money to send you somewhere. So, typically, once you arrive at your permanent duty station (after MCT/SOI/MOS school), that's where you'll stay till your contract expires. Most times, a change in duty station coincides with reenlistment and a new contract. After a 22.6 year career, I can say I saw most major duty stations (some for years others just for a few weeks for training/school). Enjoyed them all but my favorite would be Camp Pendleton in southern California.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Let us know after you pass the ASVAB.

It costs the USMC money to send you somewhere. So, typically, once you arrive at your permanent duty station (after MCT/SOI/MOS school), that's where you'll stay till your contract expires. Most times, a change in duty station coincides with reenlistment and a new contract. After a 22.6 year career, I can say I saw most major duty stations (some for years others just for a few weeks for training/school). Enjoyed them all but my favorite would be Camp Pendleton in southern California.
    Thank you for at least answering the question. Appreciate it.

Thread Information