Individual Unemployability question
Create Post

Individual Unemployability question

I am recieving VA Unemployability. I was recently asked to serve on a non profit organization's board as the Executive director. I would not be compensated in any way and I could do it from home. Am i able to without loosing my IU?

Similar Threads:

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Yes. You can even earn income as long as you don't perform actual work. For instance, you can make money on investments, you can inherit money or property, and you can make money on property as long as you don't do any actual work.

Quote Originally Posted by lmholmes11 View Post
    I am recieving VA Unemployability. I was recently asked to serve on a non profit organization's board as the Executive director. I would not be compensated in any way and I could do it from home. Am i able to without loosing my IU?
    I think, or at least in MA it is how it works -- that you can only earn a small percentage of what you get in unemployment. But check your state regs to be sure.

Good luck, Marine.

VA regulations are the same, regardless of state.... and by regulation as long as you cannot obtain or maintain GAINFUL employment, your IU is safe... as long as there is no report of income to the IRS,- or Social Security, you're good.....

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Correct .

Ok thanks Marines. I know that they have to include my name and position on their annual Tax form 990 for the organization but my income will be "0", so even if my name is on their return im good right? Sorry just paranoid.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That's a whole differant story.

Even if you are earing zero income just listing you on an IRS form as Executive Director receiving no salary might raise a red flag... and some questions as to why.

You should speak to a VA rep or an attorney.
    Just sayin...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My friend works with wounded warrior’s project and he is 100 percent. On the other hand … I am also a 100 percent and I am not allowed to do any form of work or volunteer work. It all depends on your severity of disability.

Quote Originally Posted by lmholmes11 View Post

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    a Marine i know. volunteers work at the va hops, received a letter from va stating his rating is under review, he thinks it because of his volunteer work . he dont do that no more, WHO KNOWS rating reviews are looming for almost everyone, i hear P&TS are safe, than i hear no one is safe,

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Nothing is in stone. I still get a review letter asking me if I worked this year and I am 100 percent. I hear some vets can while other vets cannot it has been a pick and choose system since 1885.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelobo View Post
    a Marine i know. volunteers work at the va hops, received a letter from va stating his rating is under review, he thinks it because of his volunteer work . he dont do that no more, WHO KNOWS rating reviews are looming for almost everyone, i hear P&TS are safe, than i hear no one is safe,

Thread Information