Any USMC snipers who served in Beirut? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    In my opinion, what you are asking for, Marines may not be willing to talk about.

Lisa, you may be correct but I have to try. I respect any servicemember`s privacy or other restrictions. I think the topic is an importnant, neglected part of military history.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I hate to be the bearer of disappointment here... but, Marines were NOT the only ones in Beirut at that time, and they aren't the only snipers, all though the Marines do have some fine riflemen... That is about all I am willing to say on that...

HooYah
    Harold

Quote Originally Posted by Harold67wm View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of disappointment here... but, Marines were NOT the only ones in Beirut at that time, and they aren't the only snipers, all though the Marines do have some fine riflemen... That is about all I am willing to say on that...

HooYah
    Harold
    If they could all be like Gunny Hathcock, RIP Marine,Semper Fidelis.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    If they could all be like Gunny Hathcock, RIP Marine,Semper Fidelis.
    I meant absolutely NO disrespect toward any Marine, but, I know for a fact that Marines were not the only "snipers" on the ground in Beirut...

I meant absolutely NO disrespect toward any Marine, but, I know for a fact that Marines were not the only "snipers" on the ground in Beirut...
    Settle down Harold,lol, Marines simply do it better, Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Settle down Harold,lol, Marines simply do it better, Semper Fidelis.
    And we're better shots also.

Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    And we're better shots also.
    Only if Harold would understand,lol, Semper Fidelis.

Credits
    Savings
    LOL

Now I do understand...

But I thought that the range started at about a km for warm ups, then on out to the mile marker ... And the target is for head shots only, not body shots...

But , I really don't know anymore... It has been 25 years, but, I think I can still pull off those kind of shots... LOL

We are here to teach you the right way and there is only one way,lol, Semper Fidelis.

But I thought that the range started at about a km for warm ups, then on out to the mile marker ... And the target is for head shots only, not body shots...
    Marines snipers in Beirut were still using the M40A1 sniper rifle (7.62 NATO), which was pretty good out to about a click on a "really" good day. My understanding is that those really LONG shots didn't start to happen until the .50 was introduced some years later.

Quote Originally Posted by ResearcherUSMC View Post
    That is CPL Victor Prevatt (kia) and L/Cpl Roberts from STA 1/8 atop the BLT building in 1983

That is CPL Victor Prevatt (KIA) with the M40A1 and his Spotter is L/Cpl Frank Roberts. They are atop the BLT building in Beirut, 1983 the building that was blown up 33 years ago today

Once again the World has the Marine Corps to thank for the use of the 50 BMG round. Gunny Hathcock pulled it off in Nam. Semper Fi

It is sad to think that so many Americans don't remember the 1983 bombing, but I remember it very well. Semper Fi Marines.

Thread Information