Any USMC snipers who served in Beirut?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any USMC snipers who served in Beirut?

Hello, I am working on a research project addressing the topic of Beirut. Specifically, I am interested in learning about the experience of anyone involved in sniping while serving in Beirut. I am interested in USMC sniper TTPs and the enemy tactics as well. Thank you for your time and service.

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your profile says that you are in the Army. Square it away to reflect that please.

Also, the questions you asked, if there were any amongst us, it certainly would not be talked about here. You should know that being in the Army and all.

OPSEC...

Yes, I am in the Army. What do I need to do to square it away to reflect that? And what would be the proper forum to discuss one's experience? What are the OPSEC concerns? I would discuss with anyone their experiences outside of the thread of course. There are numerous books on the topic and I don't believe there any security concerns, but I am open to suggestions. Thanks for your help.

I have to admit some interest in your topic, as I'm reading USMC Col. David Crist's very interesting book " The Twilight War";and, among other things, he discusses the mis-steps leading to the bombing of the Marine (and the French) barracks.

Horrendous stuff, and might be a good source for you.

I have it on Kindle, but recommend hardcover for this one.

Okay, thank you for your advice. I am interested in the sniping war in Beirut from 1975-1990. I know it is a pretty specific topic. There is a dearth of information on the topic although I recently found a report written by some U.S. Army engineers covering the topic of urban warfare in Beirut called, "MILITARY OPERATIONS IN SELECTED LEBANESE BUILT-UP AREAS, 1975 - 1978". It is very detailed with good observations. I just checked out the book you suggested...600 pages! I will have to order it and give it a read. Have you checked out "Pity the Nation", "Divided Cities" and "Beirut Fragments"?

Also, I have a few pictures I found of Marine snipers near BIA and recently a whole bunch of Green Line related photos. I was unaware that there was regular sniping going back and forth between the Marines and the various militias in the city during their deployment there.

Quote Originally Posted by ResearcherUSMC View Post
    Also, I have a few pictures I found of Marine snipers near BIA and recently a whole bunch of Green Line related photos. I was unaware that there was regular sniping going back and forth between the Marines and the various militias in the city during their deployment there.
    A picture of somebody in draws with a scoped rifle doesn't mean there was "regular sniping going back and forth." Maybe there was, but that picture just tells me somebody in draws was looking at somebody/thing else. Scopes are great for observation, too.

Just because you got

Quote Originally Posted by ResearcherUSMC View Post
    My first guess is this isn't a Marine. The haircut doesn't work for that era. But I could be wrong.

And that doesn't appear to be a KBar on his hip - the handle looks thinner.

Yes, I agree with your assessment. However, I read in several different news reports from the 80's that Marines were wounded by snipers and that they in turn killed and engaged militia snipers during the deployment. Also, the Israeli soldiers were equally targeted during their occupation there. I don't want to jump to conclusions and I would like to chat with someone who was there to dispel any myths or false assumptions. I might just have to go off of news reports from that era.

Good point...both of these pictures are available online and all references to them are "USMC snipers in Beirut"....so that is all I know unfortunately.

October 17, 1983, Monday

Late City Final Edition, Section A, Page 1, Column 1, 994 words

Snipers opened fire on the American Marine contingent in Beirut for the third day in a row, killing one marine and wounding three others, a Marine spokesman said tonight. Hours earlier in the southern Lebanese town of Nabatiye, a Reuters reporter on the scene said one man was killed and at least seven were wounded in a clash between Israeli troops and Moslem worshipers. The clash was one of the most serious confrontations between Israeli troops and Lebanese civilians in southern Lebanon since the Israelis entered Lebanon last year. Dispute Over Clash The Reuters report said that the Israeli troops opened fire on the worshipers and that four Israeli soldiers were hurt when the crowd retaliated with stones and sticks.

Here is another.

BEIRUT SNIPER ATTACKS REVEAL VULNERABILITY OF MARINE POSTS

By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN (The New York Times); Foreign Desk

October 19, 1983, Wednesday

Late City Final Edition, Section A, Page 1, Column 2, 578 words

The Joint Chiefs of Staff were reported to have begun a review of rules governing the operations of the marines in Lebanon. Page A6. BEIRUT, Lebanon, Oct. 18 - Sniper attacks on the United States marines here over the last four days have underlined how exposed they are to hostile fire.

Thread Information