Enlisting before 29th birthday and other questions
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Enlisting before 29th birthday and other questions

Hi Sirs, (Marines - there are female Marines on this site - me being one of them)

First, thank you in advance answering my questions.

I have done quite a bit of reading but I have not seen many real-world stories regarding my circumstances.

I am 28 years old and turn 29 this summer (July 13). I am interested in joining the Marine reserves. It took me a long time to realize that I wanted to serve my country, but it is what it is. I know I am late in the game.

Here are some facts that might help:
    Height: 71"
    Weight: 197 / bodyfat probably 22-23%
    Current PT: 12-14 pullups, should have no issues with the full 100 situps and running is my weakest...probably 9min mile most likely a little less with a better pace...haven't tested a "fast" mile yet
    ASVAB: took practice test only, 87 score
    Education: bachelors degree

That being said I have a few questions:

1. From what I understand, without an age waiver I would need to start Boot Camp prior to my 29th birthday even for reserves? If this is the case, I have less than two months. I am good at accomplishing what I set out to do, but I wonder if I will have to just try for an age waiver (which seems practically impossible from my reading)

2. Assuming I have a chance of getting in, I would have to notify my management as I am currently full-time employed. Given that the combined length of Boot Camp, Infantry School and MOS school could be up to 6months or more, what is the real-world reality of this? It is quite a long time, should I plan on just resigning? It seems slightly unfair to ask them to retain my spot given I have no co-workers to fill my shoes.

3. I have been working on my weight. 205 down to 197 in short time. My natural weight lies in the 185-190 range. If I am 197 now, what do I have to be at MEPS or what will I need to be for a recruiter to even take me seriously? Seemed to me I read something a little higher was tolerated prior to Boot Camp. I have an athletic build and weight lift a bit but I am overweight no way around that.

4. MOS - Assuming, again, that I can make it in...I really am not sure what MOS to go for. Given that I am looking at reserves, would I need to talk to the units that I can drive to for drill before selecting an MOS or will a recruiter make sure I am only presented options that a unit will take?

Thank you for your time,

Daniel

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Lisa 23; 05-23-13 at 05:16 PM.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    From where I sit, you've probably waited too long to enlist whether active or reserves. The paperwork and waiver alone will take two-months.

Have you talked to a Marine recruiter at all?

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Agree Chris.
    I think that ship has sailed already.

Best of luck to you.

I apologize for the Sirs. No excuses on that one just didn't you use my brain apparently. Thanks for the responses. I started talking to a recruiter. I will do my best to chase this one down but I am bent on serving my country so if my chances with the Marines end up beyond possibility, I will still choose another branch to serve. Won't give up though.

The ship is still in port for you.

Just increase the run time and the BF will fall below or near 18%.

Age waiver, I see no problem.

Criminal history - be truthful.

At 5'11" or 71", you are at the MAX for your weight in the Marines @ 197.

Now since you have NOT chosen a MOS, you need to start now. Each MOS school can be from 8 weeks to 2 years. Look into a job that a Reserve unit has near you.

Since your kind of got some stuff in order, also make sure your personal life is in order ( wife, job etc). They can't hold your job but will hold your job. It is the LAW, just make sure you cover all bases with them.

Just address the board as Marines, our female Marines will bite you again with all the "Sirs".

As the Marines above stated, Good luck.

Keep us posted.

Semper Fi,
    CEYA!

Thanks for your response, Marine. Definitely motivating. I have been in touch with a recruiter. He says he can get me in and get me shipped before my 29th birthday which is July 13th. One thing he says is that I will need to meet the 3 mile run requirement due to the short notice. Not sure why that would be but I'm gunning for that.

I've been working on my PT as hard as I can. I've got my 1.5 down to mid 12s and can push myself harder when it counts. Pull ups and situps are no problem.

Weight is down to 195 now. I am working aggressively to get that down and should be able to get 10lb of breathing room within the next 2-3 weeks.

My recruiter was supposed to call me back on Friday to discuss next steps. I have only spoken with him on the phone (office #) and he gave me his cell number and I have texted a little with him. He has not called back yet but I figure he has a life...so in the mean time I am rounding up docs to have on hand. I have my SSN card, passport and marriage license. I have ordered 2 college transcripts and 2 certified birth certs both to be sent to my house. I have no clue where my high school diploma is...I'd think the college stuff would be fine but I will probably contact my old high school to get some sort of transcript or letter to certify my high school graduation just in case. I also read to go ahead and fill out the sf86 form.

Hopefully by having all of this ready some time later this week I will be able to help the recruiter move as fast as possible since we are running out of time. If there is anything else I can do before meeting with the recruiter in person to help him out, I would gladly appreciate any tips.

Oh, and regarding criminal history, drugs and tattoos...I am squeaky clean. Never touched drugs. Never arrested...just a couple of tickets in years past of which the recruiter is aware. Zero tattoos. So I *should* be waiverless...I hope.

Credits
    Savings
    Good Luck, "KID"

just don't give up.
    and don't stop trying..

Marines,

Just an update.

I finally met with a recruiter in person. Came in first time in business dress and with my PT gear and all my necessary docs. I was there from 9am to 4:30pm. Did all of the paperwork and then went to my wife's work with the recruiter for her statement and some signatures.

They put me through the IST. I did about 13 pull ups but was slightly off on the lock in so only counted 6 but they said that was better than some. Run was 11:30 for the 1.5mi which was the absolute of my abilities considering I just started running again about 3-4 weeks ago. Weight is down to 189 according to their scale. Height 71 according to their wall. 95 on practice ASVAB.

They told me I am 90% good to go. No waivers so far and possible ship date of July 8th which is before my 29th bday on July 13th. Trying to get me into meps on Friday or Mon/Tues.

Here's where I am at and need some advice, if possible. They are telling me that due to the end of the fiscal year there are only 3 jobs available for me in the reserves. Cook, Personnel Retrieval, and Recon. I want nothing more to serve my country but cook seems like a waste of my ability and personnel retrieval just doesn't sound like something that I can be good at especially emotionally. That leaves Recon. What they are telling me is that I would be 0311 after SOI and if I cant make it into Recon training then I would fall back to whatever the reserve Recon unit (Co B 4th Recon, Smyrna GA) needs.

I was also told that I could not go to a reserve unit outside 100 miles which is something I never have heard of. I'm willing to go anywhere in TN, GA, SC, or AL within say 300-350 miles from Atlanta no problem.

What do you think? Right now I can only think if they are telling me the truth that my only option is go Recon even though I know I will not A: make the cut or B: not be able to justify leaving my wife and job for the additional amounts of time for MART and recon. (most likely I don't have the physical ability or training time needed to make the cut) So basically...go Recon on the contract, get the SOI and 03XX MOS and then fail and get kicked to whatever the reserve unit needs (which seems like it could be a major gamble in terms of what I could best use my abilities for).

They told me that once I pick a reserve unit on my contract, when I fall back out of Recon after SOI that I will still be with that unit and can't be transferred and can only be assigned a job that that unit has open for FY 2014 which right now is Radio Op, Recon Man.

Would like some opinions. I realize I am on a short leash here with obviously some sacrifices on MOS to be made for my situation and the timing but I want to make sure I have the full, true story. Thanks!

Never heard of personnel retreaval. Is that like graves registration? Did not know there is a MOS for that especially with a recon unit (they do not have time to be marking graves). Never thought a recon unit would have cooks either. Interesting.

You are certainly taking a huge gamble. Shame you have to go through SOI and then "fail" recon indoc (MART) just to come back and see where your unit needs you (big waste of money and resources if you ask me). You realize you could still end up a cook afterall. Won't you still have to leave again for the MOS school of your new MOS? Don't see how you could learn to be a cook at a reserve recon unit. This situation sure is messy.

Correction: Cook is a different unit...Stone Mtn GA. Personnel Retrieval is another unit as well and yes that is supposedly centered around making sure deceased make it to their final place and whatnot...maybe even morgue type stuff. Recon contract is 4th Recon Co B in Smyrna, GA.

I think it would also be a waste for me to go Recon contract knowing I will fail out. Personally, I would like to try but I don't think it is an option with family due to the length of all the training.

I talked to my brother-in-law who is a Marine now working as a civilian doing his same job. He has connections and knows some recruiters well so he is looking into all this to see what he can find out.

Right now only thing I can think of is go Recon and let the chips fall...I assume the recon unit will stick me somewhere that they need and from what he showed me in his computer system the openings they have scheduled for FY2014 only show Recon Man and Radio Operator. None already filled even show anything terribly bad...probably Admin. Now...I don't know if that means those are all jobs they employ there or if there are other supporting MOSs that they don't list that I could wind up in. I would like to think that the Marines would stick me somewhere that they believe my capabilities are best utilized but...I don't know anything about how they determine that...or it.

An update...

My brother-in-law Marine talked to a higher-up friend of his who said I would be stupid not to take the Recon contract. He also said he has worked a little on that pipeline and has heard that older candidates may not be as handicapped as I would've guessed. He also talked to a recruiter-friend and he seemed to confirm that my options are very limited with short notice and while an age waiver to buy me more time for MOS's to open up is not impossible, it is very unlikely.

So...that being said, I am scheduled for MEPS tommorow leaving from recruiter's office at 0430. ASVAB + medical + swear in. I told the recruiter I was OK with the Recon contract. I will try out and do my best to go for it now that I have researched it but I am humble enough to know that it is a ridiculous longshot.

I attended a poolee event yesterday as well (I guess I am technically an applicant still). Absolute butt kicking. No games, just hard PT with zero time to breathe. We did the IST first and they counted 10 of my pullups this time. 55 sit ups and 12:43 1.5 (I did an 11:30 on Wed). I paced myself on the IST run subconsciously because I had no idea how much of a butt kicking I would have to make it through for the remainder of the day...should have pushed myself.

I guess I'll see tomorrow after MEPS if this is going forward...

Give us a report and good luck.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Best of luck to you.
    5 weeks before you turn 29, down to the wire.

Good Afternoon, Marines.

Just wanted to update you in case any future readers were curious...

I attended MEPS earlier this week. Took the ASVAB and despite it seeming to kick my butt, I got pretty dang close to the high score. My GT is well above needed for the Recon contract. Medical went fine. Passed that with flying colors.

The liaisons were pretty snappy compared to the other branches. Makes sense...it's the Marine Corps after all...and I was prepared for it by my recruiter.

I took the oath same day and signed the papers. The liaisons said practically nothing to me about what I was signing in their office but I believe it was security stuff.

As for the contract itself, it said nothing about my ship date and said nothing about a job or anything. Just reserves and the length of the contract (6x2). There may have been reference to an addendum "AB" or something but I presumed that was the sheet that the recruiter showed me back at the office that had my reserve unit assignment and MOS.

I know I am supposed to avoid signing the contract if it doesn't specifically mention my MOS (in this case...tryout) but I put a little faith in the recruiter since I had been able to find almost zero info on the web about where reserve units and MOS fit in. All I know is that I must interview with the unit at some point before I ship. Perhaps that means I will see something in writing for the unit/MOS(tryout) when I go to MEPS before boot?

If anyone knows anything about that...I would appreciate any tips.

Aggressively working on my PT and swimming during these short weeks I have left before the July 8 ship date. I am at 15-17 pullups on a fresh 1st set. 66 situps and still 11:30 fastest 1.5mi but I am comfortably doing 3 mile runs. I ran 2.4 the other day at a slower pace with some friends and I wasn't in the least bit winded so I think if I can push my max distance out to 4 or 5 miles comfortably that will help my 3 and 1.5.

Poolee

Be prepared to be called fat and old. You better sign any contract you can get your hand on and not **** and moan on what you get. 29 Is the absolute max cut off, you also better get that weight down with you being at your max weight that wont look good for if you graduate AFTER you get into the fleet or whatever its called in the reserves. Any weight you lose at boot camp will come flying back trust me I know I joined when I was 27 I went to boot at 188 left at 155 and am at 185 presently so you have to stay on top of it.

Also dont get expected to be handed stuff because you are older, its going to be a bit harder your body doesnt heal as quick as the 18 yr old and you will also be held more accountable due to the fact of your age. Remember that

Thread Information