A Few Questions..
Create Post

A Few Questions..

Hello all,

So I'm currently 16 years old. I turn 17 in 3 Months or so on August 28th. I'm finishing up my junior year currently, and I have my mind set on the Marines. I do have a minor setback. When I was younger I was diagnosed with ADD, and up to the past month or so, I have been taking medication for it. I have talked to a recruiter who my friend who is in the Marines referred me to, and he basically told me to 'lie' about it at MEPS. He gave me the whole privacy act speech etc, stating how I won't get caught and such. I was just wondering if anyone else was in the same position as I am, etc. I would be grateful for any advice given. Also, I've been off the medication for approximately a month because I've read about the topic of ADD in the Marines, and it stated I need to be off of it for a year atleast. How do the waivers work? If I get a waiver is that 100% certain that I can still get accepted for enlistment? I really would be disappointed if I wasn't able to enlist, so I would definitely be appreciative of any advice.

Best Regards,
    -Austin

Similar Threads:

DO NOT lie.......it is called fraudulent enlistment. And your doctor should be the one to take you off of your medications, not you.
    As for waivers, none of the Marines here can give you a direct answer about that.

That recruiter should be kicked off recruiting duty and sent back to the fleet for giving such advice. There are enough qualified applicants today so nobody needs to lie about anything. Our core values are honor, courage, and committment; there is no honor in lieing. If you do it, you lack integrity (one of our leadership traits) and are not USMC material. If you do lie about your ADD and enlist then there is no reason for you to not do it again in the future whenever it suits your purposes.

Tell your recruiter you refuse to lie and want to submit a waiver. Then, keep your fingers crossed (or, if you're a religious person, pray a lot). You may never get accepted but at least you'll still have your integrity.

Good luck.

Thread Information