The Credit Score, Credit Card, and some Rumors ...
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question The Credit Score, Credit Card, and some Rumors ...

Hi to all of you, I am new here and here is my concern..

I know that the military takes a good look at your credit score and I have never had a financial problem of any kind (I have also never been in debt)

but yesterday I was talking to one of my dads friends and I dont know how the conversation started but we ended up talking about credit score and how the military takes a good look at it. I told him that I never had a credit card because I really never had to use it (I know how to manage my earnings very well, so I thought there was no reason to get a credit card) but he told me that in order to have a good credit score I would have to apply for a credit card and use it for some time and then pay in time, so the credit scores goes up.

So my question is ... Do I have to apply for a credit card and use it to get a good credit score before MEPS ?

I am really confuse about this ...

Also I would like to apply for Infantry (It's been my dream since I was 7 years old) but I heard from Poolees that the Marine Corps is not letting a lot of people apply for Infantry and that DoD is only taking reserve contract and not a lot of Active Duty is this true and if so why ?

Thank You Reading & Have A Great Day

Similar Threads:

For some reason I feel like a response to this is feeding the trolls. This cant be a serious question.

Credits
    Savings
    I am well aware that the whole credit score/card question is one of the stupidest question I have asked in my entire life but I rather make fun of in here (and hopefully somebody answers my questions) than go to MEPS and find out I can't join because of that since they seem to disqualify you for something ridiculous..

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was always told that no question is a stupid question, only the one not asked... but.....
    I am going to let the thread stay, UNLESS it goes south...
    NEVER heard about not being able to join with bad credit....

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Queston #1.

If you have no credit history, don't worry about it.

If you have bad credit you will need a Financial waiver and it will hinder your ability to obtain a Security Clearance.

Question #2 is just not True.

Go see a Marine Corps Recruiter and best of luck to you.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks as for the rumors are they true ? I have talked to three Poolees around my area and they all told me they signed the reserve contract because that's the only option that was available to them is this part of the Sequestration? I would really like to go active.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank You Rocky C

No. Bad credit will hinder your ability to get a Secret or Top Secret clearance if they are necessary for your MOS.

No credit does not. If you do not have a credit card, or any secured/unsecured/installment debt in your name, then you do not have credit. Don't worry about it. You've got a gross misunderstanding of how credit works, and I highly suggest that you read about how it works.

Read about credit/debt ratio, debt/income ratio, understand what installment debt is, what secured debt is, what unsecured debt, etc. You need to understand what the reporting agencies use as criteria when determining your credit. Trans-Union, Equifax, and Experian are three reporting agencies you can read about.

I highly encourage you to learn as much as you can about credit because it will play a big role in your life as well as your military career.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank You UMD Student24, very informative

A recruiter (I am not one) will have to answer your questions about AD/reserve contracts. Just like you, everybody wants to be a grunt but there are only so many infantry contracts to go around, and they disappear VERY quickly. It's possible the only infantry contract available to you is with the reserves. IF you want it bad enough, you'll take it and be happy. If not, somebody else will. Recruiting these days is not about what you want but about what the USMC needs. Sooner you accept that reality the better off you'll be.

NEVER go into debt just to establish a credit history...that's just dumb and the military does not require it!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    A recruiter (I am not one) will have to answer your questions about AD/reserve contracts. Just like you, everybody wants to be a grunt but there are only so many infantry contracts to go around, and they disappear VERY quickly. It's possible the only infantry contract available to you is with the reserves. IF you want it bad enough, you'll take it and be happy. If not, somebody else will. Recruiting these days is not about what you want but about what the USMC needs. Sooner you accept that reality the better off you'll be.

NEVER go into debt just to establish a credit history...that's just dumb and the military does not require it!
    Thank you Tannessee Top, I know that if you sign the reserve contract you can later request to go Active Duty right ? I will ask my recruiter on Thursday but I am also aware that they will try to sugar coat things and by the time you get to MEPS its a whole different story, If there are only reserve contracts available I'll do it .. I should've joined a year ago.

You can request anything. But, the same answer applies. Approval/disapproval will be based on the needs of the USMC at that time. It's a gamble you'll just have to take. Let us know how it works out and good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you again Tennessee Top

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtu View Post

rumors

are they true ?
    Three Poolees around my area told me they signed reserve contract
    because that's the only option that was available to them

is this part of the Sequestration?